Just Diagnosed with FMS and very angry

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sansofpa, May 20, 2012.

1. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

This is my first post. Since 2009 I've been having health issues and on Thursday I was diagnosed with FMS. I do have other health issues. How do you live and work??? I was referred to a Rheumatologist, but he cannot see me until July 23rd. I'm trying to read your posts and other information and so glad I found this board. I will be back later because I'm having serious brain pain at this very moment.
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

FM seems to have become a rampant condition......many books I read point their finger at all the chemicals in our food and water and air.

You don't say how old you are and that has a lot to do with how well you'll cope with this. And what other health issues.

I've seen two rheumatologist and numerous doctors, but didn't find help from any of them. I first came to this board years ago and learned from what others posted and what they recommended. I'm 67 and probably started this back in my late 20s but it didn't really flare until about 20 years ago.

At this point I suggest you read, read, read and cut out anything that has any type of MSG and chemicals in it. If you can't pronounce it don't put it on you or in you. Get the book by Dr. StAmand.....What your doctor may not tell you about FM. Read this BEFORE you see your rheumatologist so you will understand what he tells you.

I find that lack of quality sleep increases the pain and fatigue so I've started taking 5 HTP and recently bought Peaceful Nights from Prohealth. Last night I got 8 hrs. of undisturbed sleep which is unheard of for me, so I feel these two are helping. Everybody is different and you have to find what helps you the most.

Another big thing with FM is stress seems to make it worse, so try to rid yourself of it as much as you can.

I also suggest you buy the book, Trigger Point Therapy Work Book. This was an eye opener for me about pain. Much of the pain can be helped using this book. And if you don't have any rice socks to heat in the microwave, make yourself a couple by filling a large sock with rice and sewing up the end. I use these all the time to help with pain. I also have neck and back troubles so keep frozen bottles of water and those gel filled packs from the drugstore. I slip a chilled one into a knee high and velcroe it around my neck to numb pain, or hang a bottle down my back on my shoulder area.

But above all, this isn't a death sentence. It's just something you and your family will have to learn to live with.

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2012]
  3. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

Wow..I slept all day which is becoming my norm when I'm not at work. I'm 59 and was diagnosed with COPD via xray, too. I have no symptoms of having it. I had xrays and MRI's on each section of my back and in many areas I have spinal stenosis and DDD. My neck has multiple levels of it with a bulging disc, but my lumbar is the worst.

My symptoms really became worse when I moved into a new building at work and was exposed to lots of dust and mold. My office window leaks and so does my outside wall, so much of the time I'm in a damp space.

I get up 3 times at night to urinate; I have urine urgency and frequency 24/7. I had a CT Scan and a cystoscopy, but the Urologist found nothing wrong and said I have interestial cystitis.

It's a shame you found no help with your doctors. Mine gave me an rx for Vicodin. I can't take it at work because it makes me sleepy, then I can't drive home. I take it after supper but still get serious stomach pain.

I am looking forward to more reading here, and will get the books you suggested and really try to educate myself before going to the rheumatologist.

I do find a bit of comfort with my heating socks, but not with ice. However, I cannot use heat on the areas that have burning pain, which is worse in my upper back, shoulder, neck and the lower part of the back of my head.

I have tons of stress in my personal and work life and no matter how hard I try I cannot escape from it. I cut my work day to 9 hours from 10. I must get up 2 hours before work just to get moving and ready. By 1:00 I'm ready to go home.

I'm separated and have 2 grown boys. My mother lives closeby and needs lots of attention. Everyone else either passed on or moved away.

I truly appreciate your response and as long as I can sit, I will be reading this board.

4. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

Hello Leah and thanks for the welcome, even if it's not my kind of reason to befriend someone :)

You really hit the nail on the head with me. I'm a pefectionist at work, work long hours and set high goals for myself and others. I had to knock everything down a notch, so to speak, and that doesn't sit well with me. I feel like a failure after many years of having been a stellar performer and embarrassed by not being able to keep up. I worry about being told about my work lagging, so when I do see the doctor I'm going to take IFMLA papers and ADA paperwork along.

What if I don't get relief or figure out what's making my pains and symptoms unbearable, soon? That's the question I ask myself over and over. I don't know if I can afford to live on STD/LTD and I cannot retire, yet. I'm sure Social Security Disability is not in my near future.

When I get home from work, if I could run into the house from my car I would, just to take my bra off and lay in a fetal position. There's very little I can do in the evenings because the pain has escalated by then from working and probably sitting and using a computer all day isn't helping me. I can't do anything before work either because my arms are normally "asleep" and my hands don't work...it's like they lock up. I get so scared when I can't pick my glasses up. My thumb and index finger won't close...weird.

I shall return,
  5. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

jaminhealth...I just read about Grape Seed, but I take Ambien. It puts me to sleep but I will never, ever stay asleep due to my urgent urination and frequency 24/7. I try to get 5 or 6 hours total. I just started taking Vitamin D because my blood work showed it was very low. I also take B-12 hoping it will one day stop this horrible Tinnitus.
    From what you and others are saying, slowing down is going to be my goal. I cannot keep up with my work life or personal life when I can't get beyond the pain and the thought of no relief in my immediate and distant future. My thyroid studies were fine, imagine that :)
    Thanks so much,
  6. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Sans,

So very sorry that you have FM. I have had it for 20 years and I rememeber how hard those first few years after getting a diagnosis were. Always trying to balance things in life and seemingly always coming up short. But if I knew some of the tricks then that I know now, I think things would have been smoother for me. So congratulations on doing a very wise thing, which is asking those who have it what you can do.

Here is a link to a self help website for FM & CFS patients, I think you will find helpful. www.treatcfsfm.org. (copy & paste into your browser)

The most helpful thing is #1 address any sleep problems. You can do that with medications or with supplements. You will have to try them and see how they work for you. We all have the same illness however we all react uniquely to things we take to treat symptoms.

The next thing I woud suggest is that you do basic leg, back and arm stretches a few times a day or more if your schedule will allow for it. Gentle stretching helps untighten muscles that FM loves to constrict. Since you sit at a desk it will be most important to stretch out your back muscles.

To keep working you will need to be able to get up from your desk and walk around for a couple minutes or do that stretching I mentioned already. If you can't do it without having to tell your employer, make sure you have those forms from the doctor before you broach the subject with your boss. Once you have them your boss will have to work with you so you can keep your job. They have to make "reasonable" adjustments. Getting up to walk a couple minutes around the office or go into a break room to stretch is quite reasonable and there should be no excuse that can be given as to why they cannot accomadate you.

One thing about having a chronic illness and needing to work is that the fear of not being able to continue to work weighs heavily on the mind. This is very stressful and as mentioned in a previous post, it is important to limit your exposure to stress and for those situations (such as working) we need to learn to talk ourselves down from our fears. Fear gets us nowhere but tired!

You can be quite successful and also keep further damage to your body to a minimum by tuning into your body and listening to what it is telling you. There are basic things that you need to do in your life but you must rest in between each thing. You will find details on how to pace your activities on the website I mentioned.

Eat a low inflammation diet if at all possible. Certain foods have been found to increase FM symptoms. You can find examples of them online.

Supplements such as Omega 3's, Curcumin, Vitamin D3, Zyflamend, etc. help support a healthy inflammatory response. You may wish to try one or more of them. When starting a supplement or medication it is best to try one thing at a time. Then notice any side effects you might experience to know if that supplement or medication is something you can tolerate well.

Lastly I would stress that you should not listen to your family or friends who do not understand or accept FM as a real illness. Most the advice you get from those who don't have FM usually lead to stress, fear or hurt feelings. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. BE WELL INFORMED ABOUT YOUR ILLNESS, AND TALK TO OTHERS WITH THE ILLNESS. That is a recipe for successfully coping with FM's intrusion into your life.

7. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

I will do some research on Grape Seed Extract. I've been through too many family member's deaths due to Cancer and if it strengthens the immune system it's something I certainly need to consider.

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2012]
  8. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

I ordered the books tonight on Amazon and I'll have them by the end of the week. I don't shop in public; only buy online. I go to the Neurologist on Thursday...any advise?

Thanks, again..
  9. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

Dear MicheleK,

I am so grateful for your thorough response to my posting.

I haven't shared my dx with anyone, yet. I'm still thinking about how to
    explain it. People at work do know there's something very wrong with
    me from my seclusion, mood, the way I walk, etc. I've been out of the office
    several times weekly to have tests and see doctors since the beginning
    of the year. I missed a stretch of 8 days when I had severe abdominal pain.

I'm taking ADA paperwork to my Neurologist this week so I can get a few
    accommodations; I cannot lift and I must get up at least every 20 minutes.
    I don't think it's going to be an issue unless the doctor won't complete the papers. This will be my first visit with him. I really can't handle noise but that would be very unreasonable; my office would need to be moved and that can't happen because the people I supervise are in the same suite as I am and there's no other space there. I can't stand hearing anything and when I do, it not only bothers me, I sort of get confused and can't concentrate on my work,

I attempted to "move" and stretch, but I can't. Should I be doing things like
    that if it increases my pain? I'm pathetic and need to learn the "rules" so
    I can have some normalcy.

On Friday, when the Rheumatologist's office called me with the July
    appointment, I begged for a closer date, but they have no openings.
    I called my doctor's office and told the nurse about the July appointment and
    asked her how I could remain in this condition, with this pain until then.
    She said she didn't know, so I asked her to check with the doctor, but no
    one called me back.

Right now, the worst part of this is the feeling in my brain. It scares me. It's happening more and lasting longer.

I'll be viewing the website you suggested and relying on everyone's input.
    I cannot wait until July when I see the Rheumatologist to deal with this.

Thank you so much!
  10. sunflowergirl

It's usually bad for me until around ll a.m. I'm trying to tie it in with carbs or something I've eaten the night before.....but I think it's mainly insufficient good sleep.

I carry those silicone ear plugs (buy them at any drug store) and it helps cut the noise but you can still hear with them, unless you push them in more. I use them at noisy restaurants to cut all that noise, or at a movie theatre. Too much noise and chaos can create confusion in our brain.

I'll have to check about grape seed. Thanks.
  11. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

I do experience extreme confusion, but the feeling in my brain is pain.
    It is not a migraine; I've had them since the 70's. It debilitates me not only from the pain, but I can't walk right. It also causes a slight second of what I call a syncope episode, for lack of a better term. It's almost like fainting, but I don't fall over. It's very frightening and I hope my visit to the Neurologist on Thursday will shed some light on it. The back bottom of my head hurts a lot, too. I can't even touch it. Perhaps it is brain fog, but I don't know what the meaning of brain fog is or if it hurts. I probably have a combo of that with the brain pain. It's deep inside.
    Goodnight..I'm up way too late and because I slept a large portion of the day away, I pray I'll get at least 5 hours of sleep.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad you found us but I'm very sorry for all you are going through. Most of us felt some relief at getting our FMS diagnosed instead of not knowing what was producing our symptoms. Anger is part of the grieving process we go through upon getting sick or getting a diagnosis. One reason we get so angry is because most docs don't have much to offer us. I found grief counseling very helpful and some hospice orgs offer it for free. We haven't lost a person but we have lost the person we used to be.

I suggest you might want to read, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia," by Dr. St. Amand. He has a treatment for getting rid of the pain, and other symptoms, with a supplement called, Guaifenesin. This isn't an easy treatment option but it got me off morphine and Vicodin. The Guaifenesin is not expensive and is sold here. I had to read parts of the book several times but it explains a lot about our illnesses. This doc has FMS himself. Even if you do not opt for his treatment, you will find out a lot in his book which is very helpful.

As for "Trigger Points," they are associated with myofacial pain and are not the same thing as "Tender Points," associated with FMS. Some of the treatments will help with both but the kneading and massage for trigger points will not get rid of the tender points of FMS and may make things worse in the long run. It's possible to have both FMS and myofacial pain, especially if the FMS was triggered by trauma.

Finally, you have the right to work in a nontoxic environment. Is the mold affecting others? Are people coughing or choaking? Do they feel as though they have ongoing colds or allergies? Exposure to mold will only cause illnesses to worsen.

Our members are so kind and sharing and I'm so happy to see all the responses. Almost everything which as helped me heal (and I've been sick 22 yrs.) is something I first learned of here. I've been coming here 12 years. Finding things to help is an exercise in trial and error so try to be patient and never, ever give up hope. It is possible to heal.

Love, Mikie
  13. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

This board is an overwhelming college of knowledge. I just realized something...when I'm here, I smile. I can't remember the last time I did,so thank you, all!

I went into Respiratory Arrest and was paddled while on Morphine after I had my gall bladder out. I have Vicodin, but can't take it at work, when I really need something to get me to quitting time. For now, until I learn what will ease my symtoms, I'll continue struggling through work, come home, eat and take a Vicodin. That's it for my Monday through Friday. On Sunday I made it pretty long; until 3:00 without collapsing. I really hate getting up 2 hours earlier for work...but need to just to get alert. The biggest problem for me in the morning is not being able to use my hands for about half an hour. My thumb and index finger won't close and both of my arms are usually asleep.

I did order that book on Amazon as suggested by a lovely lady on this board who suggested it. It arrives on Saturday, so that's my weekend! Geez . . never thought a book would give me something to look forward to:)

After my daughter drowned, I did so much for water safety in my town and became an "on the spot" grief counselor at two local hospitals and online or parents who just lost a child. Shortly after, my older sister died from Cancer and my younger sister, a few months later over-dosed, then my Dad died from a Staph Infection he got when he was hospitalized, having his gall bladder removed . . and many more family deaths occurred in a very sort period of time. I went to 6 counselors, but I felt I was there to amuze them. They were entertained at my expense due to all of the tradgedies in my life. In addition, about 6 months after my daughter died, I was downsized from a $100,000 job and lost the store I owned in the mall . . because I closed on the day of her funeral .. mall policy. All my emploees were relatives or close friends, so I had no choice. I was able to quickly sell it, but at a loss.

So, when anyone tells me to attempt to eliminate stress from my life, I cannot practice what I've preached for many years. My job is very stressful, but the details are not important; I tend to get too wordy.

I called our EAP at work today seeking a neurophsycologist. They have none on their panel and I'm not sure I want to go to a Therapist right now. I'm missing too much work and still have dental appointments to go to. I'll consider it after these docs have a game plan for me.

Today my legs and feet were very swollen and that's not normal for me. I drink plenty of water.

I had weird episodes all day long and I believe I scared people. I got this shock-like shooting pain in my neck and my head jurked. If it had been in my arm, it would have resembled tourets(sp). Spoiled . . can't live without spell check :)

I have to learn everyone's terminology here. Responses to me had OA and GE in them, so I'll need to Google them, so I can respond intelligently.

Regarding my first Neurology visit on Thursday, I'll take your advise and be prepared with my list of symptoms and complaints. I figure if I'm not at a practice where I can speak my mind, I'll move on to another one. I will allow a brain scan; actually I think I need one due to whatever's going on to cause the back of my head to hurt,the top to tingle, and my brain pain. I'm sure he won't understand the brain pain part, but that and a few other things going on are so hard to explain. How can you tell anybody you're having symptoms of one thing or another in every part of your body without them thinking your crazy? Frankly, I will not have any problem doing that, because it's the truth.

Tender points . . I had no idea what my doctor was doing to me, but every tender point he touched caused excruciating pain. I didn't know about tender points until I read this website. I believe we have 18 and his thumb pressure caused a scream out of me at each one of them...a test I passed but should have prayed to fail . . then again, at least I know what is wrong with me. My co-workers don't believe that's all that's wrong. They, and I'm talking about 6 women, think I have some terminal illness, but I've gone through so much blood work, scans, MRI's and xrays, that my doctor(s) are 99% sure I don't have anything terminal. Today didn't help my cause when my head kept jerking.

I lost the "mold" battle at work and am not allowed to mention it again. I believe it's been rectified enough to keep me from those horrible bouts of bronchitis. Others sneeze frequently, but they have known allergies and had them before we moved into the building. I was the only one who got very sick after we moved, but, I'm the only one in my office that used to be a porch. Right before OSHA came to do an inspection, they changed all of the air filters and cleaned the duct work...

I thank you for the warm welcome and need to respond to others, now because my back and neck are in burning pain, so I can't sit here much longer.

I'm sorry to hear about the length of your illness, but can certainly see there's a light at the end of the tunnel for me from your (and everyone else's) fantastic writings.

Take care,
  14. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

Hello Leah,

Seems like I'm in a state of confusion this evening. I responded to what you said in another post and I truly apologize. Darn brain thing going on!!

I am really going to work on journaling to at least try to figure out what's triggering these horrible episodes, of so many different body part issues.

I'm not a fan of heavy meds, but didn't you try anything to get relief when you were first diagnosed? That's how I'm feeling.

I also had a thought today and would like your input. Because I can barely make it through work and do a satisfactory job (didn't get scolded, yet), I was thinking of going on Short Term Disability for a month or less. I can't afford it beyond a month because it's $9.00 less an hour. But, after seeing these next two specialists, if they have meds or therapy or something they prescribe to me, I'd rather be at home during the experimintation time and I could also try desperately to figure out what I'm doing or not doing to cause more pain and symptoms. What do you think?

I don't want to say, "what if I don't get better". I want to say, "Wow, I had a good day!" To do that is going to take much work on my part from what I'm reading here, as it seems doctors are not going to be in tune with my true but unbelievable pain and weird symptoms.

I am eating healthy snacks and drinki plenty of water in addition to a pot of coffee in the A.M. It doesn't help my urine urgency/frequency condition, but I don't want to get anemic or worse. I am angry over my weight gain, too. From not being able to do anything, as of yesterday I gained 12 pounds. That's enough without pain to cause stress.

I am so grateful for your input, and I am thinking continuously and coming up with reasons for these flares. Jogging my memory isn't coming easy, but I've made some progress.

Have a wonderful evening, and thanks again :)
  15. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

Thanks, Jam.
  16. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

My sympathy to you and everyone else who has experienced the loss of a child and a loved one. Thank you for your kind words.

Because my Cervical Spine is a mess, I'm thinking my head issues are being caused by that problem. The DDD is progressing rapidly, I have a bulging disc and spinal stonosis, there and worse in my Lumbar region along with compressed nerves and a tear. I also have a lesion at T-12, that remains undiagnosed through a whole body bone scan and MRI and xrays and blood work . . oh my!

Funny, the doctor didn't send me anywhere to deal with my back issues, just the FMS.

17. sunflowergirl

You sound overwhelmed with your losses, your pain and suffering, and just everything. I'm very sorry you've been hit with so much.

CUT that caffeine waaaaay down,.......this is from a lady who used to run on 3 venti bold Starbucks a day. I was literally flying from it all and I seriously think it helped ruin my adrenal glands.

It really sounds like the majority of your pain is coming from your back and neck troubles. I can sympathize with you. I can't function with something strong like vicodin and I believe it can be habit forming.

I take l/2 a tramadol when the pain is too tough for me to handle. I find I can function normally on that as opposed to a strong pain pill. I can take a whole one (50 mg.) at night when I'm ready for bed. I also try to limit these because I don't want to get where I need more and more to take away the pain. This is like a muscle relaxant. I also take 2 ibuprofen at the same time to jump start it.

When your muscles are tight and spasming you will get those "electric type shocks" and this could be what's going on. Try a little oil rubbed on your neck muscles and massage your neck for about l0 min.

When I saw the 2nd rheumatologist I was in a huge amount of pain.....so much that I was positive it came from my neck and low back. He talked a little, examined a little and prounounced severe FM and put me on Lyrica. I tried it for 6 weeks.....but I hate anything that changes my brain chemistry and went off it. I also had tried cymbalta 2 years earlier and also flexeril. He ordered water therapy......6 times and each time from the huge amount of chlorine in the pool I suffered for 2 days afterwards.....so quit that.

Fibromyalgia is a condition of the muscles and joints. When the muscles get tight, they lay across your nerves and cause the numbness, tingling, and zapping kind of pain and like someone else mentioned they have to be continually stretched. I have to constantly be moving so they don't freeze up.

I'm learning to deep breathe slowly every couple of hours (concentrating on only my breathing) or when things seem to be stressful. I've also started taking a stress B supplement which I'm definitely noticing is helping me. Many books I've been reading lately are all basically saying the same thing.......when you release the control you NEED over something and give it all to God (or your higher Power) it really helps. Worrying accomplishes nothing.

I wish you a giant turn around in your health and your life.

Gentle hugs.....Nancy

[This Message was Edited on 05/21/2012]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2012]
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For all the loss and grief you've had in your life. I'm also sorry for the physical suffering. Many, if not most, of us have also suffered financially. Some have suffered in their relationships too. Add in some docs and we all have suffered insult on top of injury in our lives.

I pray you get some relief. Yes, this place is a wealth of information. There are so many treatment options and not everything works for everyone; however, it's so good to have first-person annecdotal info on these options.

GE is grapeseed extract and OA is osteoarthritis. RA is rhumatoid arthritis. FMS is fibromyalgia and CFIDS/ME is chronic fatigue. There are a few others and if you ask, we will be glad to explain what they mean. Used to see DD, which stands for darned disease, but it's kinda fallen out of use.

Love, Mikie
  19. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I am so sorry to read about your losses. That is a heavy load and I pray that this message board will help bring some peace to your heart. As for the fibro, well emotional and/or physical stress does bring on this horrible disease as does with any other disease. The only problem is that there is know easy road map as to how to recover. We are all at different places with this illness and the illness is so complicated that some things work well for some and not for others.

I recently read the book Figuring out Fibromyalgia by Ginevra Liptan. She is a dr who suffers with this illness as well and has found ways to help her continue to practice medicine. I also went to the fibromyalgia network website and ordered one of the booklets that was very useful to me. Between the two sources I have found a wellness plan that works for me so far....I have suffered for 12 years and finally went off all the prescription meds. They just were not helping any more and frankly making feel worse. But I know many people still need to use meds because of other conditions.

I use prohealth's fibro Multi vitamin, fibro freedom with 5htp, coq10, fibro sleep and GABA for sleep. Now I am starting to work on my diet. This message board has truly been a blessing for me. A great way to get feedback on all the research that we have to do ourselves. Also, just knowing you are not alone in this.

Be sure to do searches on any subjects that you would like more info on. The search is at the top of the message board and will bring up past topic threads.

20. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Sans,
    So sorry for all your losses, especially that of your child. I am curious if you first started experiencing symptoms sometime during or after all that trauma.

Anyhow about that pain you are feeling in your head. It can be pressure from the occipital (back of head) lymph nodes and post aricular (behind ear) lymph nodes. These swell and make the lower part of the back of the head super tender and painful. Though there are no lymph nodes above the ear level, there are lymph channels and a slight swelling can cause your entire skull to feel bruised to the touch and basically just hurt like the dickens! I get this all the time. It makes even laying on a pillow hurtful.

The feeling of fainting without actually fainting may be an orthostatic issue such as Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Neurally Mediated Hypotension or just a basic orthotatic intolerance that comes and goes. A tilt table test would help determine if you have any of these.

With an orthostatic condition that usually comes from ME/CFS, not FM, the symptoms that come with it are confusion, more severe congnitive issues like not being able to read something temporarily, forgetting where you are, and basically a kind of sick feeling from your shoulders up while you are experiencing it. Like I said it can come and go or for a patient who gets a severe case it can be there most of the time. It is worth checking with your doctor on these symptoms and describing them with as much detailed words as you can come up with to try and paint a picture for him/her.

I agree with everyone on the coffee. A couple cups has been shown to be good for you and helpful.

You may want to tell your doctor about your trouble feeling awake and the cognitive symptoms at work. There are a few drugs I have and do use to help in that area. One is Provigil. This was origninally developed for those with narcolepsy but has been found beneficial in ME/CFS/FM & other illnesses that affect cognition. It is expensive and insurance companies sometimes won't pay for it since it is off label prescribing.

If you cannot get Provigil then the others my specialists have tried me on are Adderall and Ritalin. Both work about the same in my estimation. I prefer the Provigil as it wears off gently. The Ritalin and Adderall work for me about 4-5 hours and then stop like falling off a cliff. But then again everyone is different.

I have also had good success during times that were not so bad using Siberian Ginseng, Green Tea or an herbal combination supplement for energy. You can look on Prohealth while you are here and see if you find a product like that you may want to try.

I cannot stress enough to be sure that you do not have ME/CFS along with your FM. The reason is that if you keep pushing with ME/CFS it can make your neuro/edocrine/immune system crash and you may never recover fully from it. With FM if you push you will get a rebound effect but it will not lead you to total incapacition and profound sickness tht ME/CFS does. So do check the symptoms for that illness to make sure you are only dealing with FM. I hate to even bring up another thing but it is so important to know the differences so that you can take the most beneficial approach. I myself have both and also POTS a rough form of orthostatic intolerance.

My heart goes out to you dear. One day at a time and accurate knowledge will serve you well.