Just diagnosed with FMS!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Melissa123, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Melissa123

Melissa123 New Member

Hello, My name is Melissa. I am 27yrs old and I was just diagnosed with FMS! I hope to make some new friends here that know what I am going through. I am currently taking Lodine, Zoloft, Xanax, Skelaxin, and Darvocets. I feel like a pharmacy!! I have three kids ages, 5,4,3 and I was wondering if any of you have bad mood swings?? I can go from happy to sad to mad in like 2 seconds flat!! Is this the FMS???

Thanks for letting me join your group!!
    Melissa
  2. opala

opala New Member

Hi, Melissa, and welcome to the board. I am also newly diagnosed but have been going through this for quite a while.

As far as the mood swings, I think that has more to do with the depression than the actual DD, but I don't know that for sure. I get them as well. Also, as far as your meds, my old doc put me on the Skelaxin and I've been told by three med. professionals now that they are just completely useless. It has been my experience that this is true.

You'll find this board to be a great place for information, as well as finding the support that you will surely need through all this.

Michelle
  3. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

WELCOME TO THE SITE. I AM ALSO NEW. I HAD A BACK FLASH WHEN I READ YOUR MESSAGE. HAVING THREE SMALL CHILDREN CAN TAKE YOU FROM MAD TO GLAD. WE HAVE SIX AND I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW I DID IT. THEY AR ALL MARRIED NOW, AND I USED TO WONDER WHY I COULDN'T GET EVERYTHING DONE. IALSO HAVE FMS AND OTHER PROBLEMS. AT FIRST YOU WONDER IF YOU HAAVE LOST YOUR MIND BECAUSE A LOT OF THE DR'S I SAW DIDN'T THINK ANYTHING WAS WRONG WITH ME. THE FIRST TIME I FELT THE FIBRO, I WAS ABOUT YOUR AGE. I AM NOW ALMOST 60. HAAVE 18 GRAND CHILDREN AND I AM SO GLAD THEY HAVE COME SO FAR WITH MEDS ETC. MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE TREATMENT. WELCOME AABOARD, AND DON'T BE A STANGER. I WILL TRY TO BE THERE FOR YOU!
    1MAQT
  4. KellynZ

KellynZ New Member

HI Melissa

Well, I wish your finding a group of new friends was under different circumstances, maybe like sharing our love of kids, dogs, etc - but you will find lots of good information here and lots of people who care about everyone else - I have been diagnosed for a few months and have loved having this site as a place to gather information and advice and meet new people. I am 43 and have a husband and two kids, a daughter 19 and a son 17 and lots of cocker spaniels.

I get mood swings but I think it is because I get so frustrated and depressed that I cannot do what I used to be able to do anymore. The good thing about being diagnosed is that you can soak up all the information from books and this message board and find the parts that work for you to make your life better - I exercise more consistently than I did prior to being diagnosed because all the books say its good so, in a way maybe I am healther ???

With that said - Welcome - I hope you will find a home here where you can get lots of support and advice and fellowship -

KellynZ
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Melissa, welcome to our world. I am not familiar from a personal point of view, with most of the meds you are taking, but I do take Xanax, BUT only a 0.25 milligram at 6pm to calm my 'racing brain', so that my supplements can help with sleep. Never in the daytime, unless I feel an anxiety attact coming on, which are not very often anymore.

Heres what I take for sleep;

6pm Xanax

10pm ZMA (zinc, magnesium and Vitamin B-6)

Right before bed; 3 milligrams of Melatonin (Both can be purchased here at Pro Health).

Before I took the ZMA, I would wake up almost every hour on the hour. Now I sleep deeply for at the least 7-8 hours every night. What a wonder this is for a person who did not sleep normal in a whole life time!

I also take Pro Energy (malic acid and magnesium glycinate), this for pain and energy. The ZMA also helps with the pain. (this is also available at Pro Health).

The only prescription I take is the low dose Xanax, been taking this small amount now for fifteen years off and on.
    BUT, like Sonny said, this can be a dangerous drug if taken too frequently. I have never had to increase the dosage, still taking this small low dose in all these years.

I would look up all those different drugs you are taking, or ask your pharmacist about them. They know a thousand times more than the average doctor does.

As for mood swings, that could be caused by the combination of meds, or you could just be stressed out.

I had them, mine was caused by stress. I am not depressed in the least. I learned to control the stress, stopped taking meds, and educated myself on Fibro with books, the web, and most of all this board.

I am almost pain free, and I sleep like a baby now.

Again, welcome to the board, and ask all the questions you have. We have some of the most well informed people on this board that you could find anywhere!

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 12/17/2002]
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome! I can imagine that those three little ones keep you very busy & I know my moods would be all over the map! I don't take the prescription drugs (due to bad side-effect problems with most meds) but others here do & will tell you their experiences with them. I'm glad you found this board, it's a whole world of good FM info & supportive people--very enlightening, especially if you are just dx. Do you have a well-informed, empathetic doctor? If so, you're ahead of the game in that way, too! Good luck to you, Melissa, and hope you come here often!

Hugs,
    pam
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

I agree with the skelexin, been told useless also and I do not get muscle spasm relief from it. You have such young children, it must be hard.
    I am 43 and mine are 13 and 8. I am currently disabled due to a knee injury but was working full time before.
    the best advice I can give you is to listen to your body and do not over do it. Balance is the key. It is a hard thing to achieve, I have been diagnosed for 7 years and have had it for a lot more than that and i am just getting the hang of it. I am hard headed though and typical type A personality so it took a while.

good luck and welcome to the board

cathy
  8. beamurto

beamurto New Member

MY DAUGHTER OF 21 HAS MOOD SWINGS AND CAN EXPERIENCE ANXIETY ATTACKS.

FROM WHAT I HAVE READ, MY UNDERSTANDING IS PEOPLE WITH FMS HAVE HIGHER ADRENALINE LEVELS AND LOWER SERATONIN LEVELS, WHICH WOULD EXPLAIN THEIR PROPENSITY TO STRESS. ALSO HORMONAL IMBALANCES MAKE PMT VERY MUCH WORSE THAN FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

GENTLE HUGS TO YOU
  9. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Mellisa,
    Sorry to hear that you've been Dx's with FM, but welcome to our family.

I use to have really bad mood swings when I first started on meds. Now I only get them mostly when I'm PMSing. I know it is part of this DD, but I have changed jobs and reduced the amount of stress in my life that has helped.

Now the main stress is I have a job that pays about half as much as I was making so money is my biggest stress as I'm sure it is with a lot of FMer's because I know a lot are unable to work...

The moods could be medication, did you have mood swings before the meds?

Warm welcome and big hugs....
    Laura
  10. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Melissa~~so glad you found the Board and decided to join us. I am 53, was born with severe asthma/allergies, have had FM/CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) for 35 years. Then as I got older osteo & rheumatoid arthritis set in. Last year was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (ddd).

It wasn't until the ddd was diagnosed that I got any help for pain management. Many health providers don't believe there is such a thing as FM, and therefore, won't treat it. You are fortunate you found a doctor right off that recognizes the chronic illness and is willing to treat you.

I take oxycontin, percocet, soma, and klonopin for the ddd which also helps with the FM, osteo & rheumatoid arthritis. With FM, we ache so constantly that our muscles tighten up on us whether we realize it or not. I would get so tense & tight from the continual ache, ache, aching that my body would feel like one huge knot, and I'd have bad muscle spasms. And with the ddd--it all got worse. Soma is the best muscle relaxer I have ever tried. Does a good job soothing out tired, tense muscles and relieves spasms. The klonopin helps to relax my body, stops the restless leg syndrome (RLS), and helps me sleep better. With the soma and klonopin (which I take at night), I wake up in the morning not nearly as stiff, achy, and inflexible.

However, one medication alone can affect you emotionally and psychologically. Side affects are different for each person. But a combination of various medications can have multiple affects on each other, and you can get the end result of it all. Sometimes it helps to try one, and see how that affects you. Add the second and see how the mix affects you. Then add the third and so on.

Also the difference in generic and Brand Name medications can affect you. I cannot take generic oxycodone (percocet). It breaks me out in red, itchy blotches. So, I have to pay the outrageous price for the Name Brand. I cannot take the generic klonopin because it knocks me out and leaves me with a real hung over feeling in the morning whereas the same dosage in the Name Brand does not. I can take the generic in the soma.

Getting a good mixture of medications that work well together and for you is a process of time, trial, and error. What works for one person may not work for another.

Plus, many of these medications are central nervous system depressants such as darvocet, other narcotic pain relievers, xanax, etc. These can cause depression and mood swings in some people. And, narcotics like darvocet can also cause constipation which is a major problem for many people on this Board who use narcotic pain management. And constipation can not only cause you to feel miserable, but make you irritable, jumpy, grumpy, and easily agitated. Educate yourself all you can about FM itself and research all the medications you are given. Buy you one of those Drug Books that lists and describe all the various types of medications and their potential side affects.

Also, being diagnosed with a chronic illness for which there is no cure for and does not get much respect from the medical community can be a real shock once the reality sets in. There is a natural period of grief & loss that we all go through for the things we can no longer do or do as well as we used to. And sometimes who we once were and what we could do just becomes a memory. Our lifestyle changes to accommodate our illness, and thus, we change right along with it.

Sometimes it is difficult for our friends, mates, and families to understand or believe that there is anything really wrong with us since we look "fine". And often physicians cannot find anything on tests to give evidence to our illness. It is a mysterious, invisible disease that you feel, but no one can see.

And having three toddlers is a handful in itself. You have to learn how to pace yourself with household chores and other obligations/responsibilities, conserve your energy, to say "no" when you need to stop, find time to rest, and to learn to incorporate things into your life that help you--nutrition, exercise, quality sleep, the right combination of meds, getting support, educating your loved ones about your illness--how you can feel pretty good one day--and be bedridden with a bad flare the next. That's confusing to people around you.

There is a wealth of education and information on this site, and many books written on FM with each author having their own philosophy of the cause of FM and a "cure". So let the reader beware.

One of the first things I would encourage you to do is make your home "FM friendly" which means arrange things so they are easy to get to, easy to clean, low maintenance, and easy on you. FM can cause a multitude of symptoms and fatigue, memory loss, and brain-fog are among the most common.

You will learn alot reading all the different posts. Feel free to jump right in and make yourself at home. There are no strangers here--just fellow sufferers, and we will support and help you as much as we can.

Best Wishes for the Holidays. Carol....
  11. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi Melissa---

I am new to the boards too and was just diagnosed on 12/5 after finding out I've been walking around with it for 3 years and it just worsened since I broke toes back in the summer. I have a daughter 8 and I'm having a very hard time coping with daily stress.
    I have many people in my life who have been me much stress and I'm to the point where I can't take it anymore.
    A friend introduced me to someone she knew who has suffered with the last 10 years and she has told me to get away from all these toxic people. Easier said than done, but she did make me realize that I suffer when I allow them to get me like this.
    So I am trying to control these "mood swings" that they put me into. After the holidays I think I may look into relaxation or yoga classes for my own good.
    Good Luck & Welcome!!
    Lin
  12. KLJ

KLJ New Member

I am 28 years old and was just diagnosed with FMS in August of 2002. I also experience the mood swings you are describing and attributed it to depression and PMS until the pain started. I also seem to notice that about the same time my mood lowers the physical symptoms seem to get worse as well. I don't really know which one is causing the other, but they do seem to co-exist.
  13. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Welcome.
    Never be afraid to ask questions. A lot of good insight out there. People are warm and friendly and kind.
    Soft hugs.