Just diagnosed with osteoporosis....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMSisAPain, Sep 13, 2002.

1. FMSisAPain

FMSisAPain New Member

Does anyone have any information on how/if this affects fibromyalgia? I got my FMS diagnosis in 1988 and am wondering if the calcium supplements or prescriptions will have any effect on the fibromyalgia. I have been blessed with being able to continue to work most of the time. As you all know, we walk a tightrope if we find a routine that "works" to make life tolerable. I do not want this to throw me off balance. Wishing you all sweet dreams.

[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2002]
  2. FMSisAPain

FMSisAPain New Member

Does anyone have any information on how/if this affects fibromyalgia? I got my FMS diagnosis in 1988 and am wondering if the calcium supplements or prescriptions will have any effect on the fibromyalgia. I have been blessed with being able to continue to work most of the time. As you all know, we walk a tightrope if we find a routine that "works" to make life tolerable. I do not want this to throw me off balance. Wishing you all sweet dreams.

[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2002]
  3. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I think that I also have OA in alot of areas. I can't wait to read the responses as I could use all the help I can get right now. dolsgirl
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Actually, I would think some of what you can take for OA may help w/ fibro. I have fms and cfids...suffered terrible morning stiffness in my knees. I'm 40...looked like an 80 yr old woman coming down the stairs! After 5 wks of glucosamine w/ chondroiton (sp), it's completely gone. I believe the magnesium I'm getting from my complete vit/min/herbal supplement is what got rid of the pins/needles in hands/arms & feet/legs.

Also, while many drs are hesitant to give pain pills to people w/ fms, if you need pain meds they may be more willing to give them because you have a "real" disease. Burns my butt (pardon the term, lol) because it's so unfair & untrue, but for many drs. that's a reality for them.

Take care, there is an arthritis board (click message boards on top & choose arthritis). I get a tip of the day from arthritissupport.com (this sponsor)--have pasted some of them to here as they were very relevant to fms. It's free.

Best wishes...Michele
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I got it in my late 40's which is early--before menopause. I take Actonel and my calcium/magnesium. I can't really feel it vs the fibro, but I'm extremely careful about not falling down. I take a bone density every year and it has improved a bit--thank goodness!
    Tania
  6. FMSisAPain

FMSisAPain New Member

Osteoporosis is a lessening of bone density which is different than osteoarthritis. This was my second bone density test. The first was 2 1/2 years ago and I was diagnosed with osteopenia (which is halfway to osteoporosis). This test indicates that it has worsened into osteoporosis. In my case it is probably the result of an early hysterectomy and a gastric bypass 4 years ago.

Thanks Michele for the info..I have arthritis too, but just the wear and tear kind (thank you lord!). My screen name represents exactly what I feel about fibromyalgia. As long as I can think of it as a pain or a nuisance instead of a crippling syndrome (which it really is) then I deal with it better mentally. I tell myself to "get on with it" and accept things I can no longer do with more grace. When I fought against the condition I found that I was sabotaging myself and making no progress at all.

Since this is a forum to share, there is a lotion I have found that helps my muscle spasm pain. I do not sell it, but can give you info on where to buy it for a reasonable price. If anyone is interested thay can e-mail me at FMSisAPain@aol.com.

Barbara
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2002]
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...osteoporosis. I have osteopenia and there is absolutely no reason for it. I was a speed skater, XC skier, runner and avid exerciser all my life, I have large bones and while I was not fat before I got FMS, I was never skinny except from age 13-14, I love dairy and have taken supplemental calcium and vit. D for 15 yrs. and only one person out of everyone on both sides of my family has ever had it,and she wouldn't eat dairy cause she thought it would make her fat. I also eat tons of greens....many people don't know that vitamin K in greens is just as essential for bones as calcium. The only explanation I can come up with is it must be the low growth hormone that many of us have. I also have all but one of the other symptoms of low growth hormone. Have you had a blood test for IGF-1 to see if that could be your problem?
    KLutzo
  8. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

tho I'm one of the few who has this malady who is male. Right now I'm snorting Miacalsin, but if it doesn't do the job, I'll be taking the Fosamax, once-a-week pill. I wouldn't have discovered Ost., but I had switched to a woman Rheumie. On my 1st appt she asked me if I had lost any height(I had: 1/2 to 1 inch); also my shoulders had been rounded and hunched for some time. I've never heard of any connection between Fibro and Osteoporosis, but there are a lot of things I've overlooked! Stay well, Al
  9. FMSisAPain

FMSisAPain New Member

I will have to check to see if the last blood series included a test for IGF-1. I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism so I would guess that might be related. I seem to recall that some folks have an inability to absorb the calcium their bodies require (have to go find the literature on that). By the way, I have shrunk more than 2 inches in height. I always thought when they talked about getting shorter that it was the spine that shrunk...in my case my legs also got shorter!

Thanks for your good wishes.
    Barbara