Just diagnosed with Spondylosis (spinal arthritis)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goog1212, Dec 3, 2008.

1. goog1212

goog1212 New Member

I suffered a severe back injury a few years ago and had spinal surgery. Since then, I've had these major flare ups of lower back pain. I thought I had re-injured myself, but all the MRI's came back ok.

Finally, yesterday a new doctor from the pain clinic thought to do a plain old x-ray and surprise! I have significant arthritis all throughout my lumbar and sacral spine! There's nothing they can do about it, I need to manage the pain like I do with the fibro pain. Yoga, swimming, acupuncture, antiinflammatories, and, on occasion, narcotic pain meds.

WHY did nobody ever notice this before? WHY do all of my journeys toward diagnosis have to be so hard? I suffered with fibro/CFS for 7 years before I was diagnosed!

Argh, I'm frustrated with doctors.
  2. leannebug

leannebug New Member

Sorry to hear that... I understand your pain and frustrations. After finally accepting my FM diagnosis, I was then hit with a barage of arthritises dx's.. RA, OA, DDD, spinal stenosis.. the list keeps growing :(

I have the most problems in my spinal and lumbar areas as well. It has taken me over a year to accept these, and move through the grief process (and we do go through it!).

I wish I could answer your questions about why.. but I can't.. just know that you aren't alone :) There are many many of us, all dealing with different struggles. Get yourself a good Rheumatologist (and you may have to go through more than one). He or she will help.

((soft air hug))
  3. Engel

Engel New Member

It took me YEARS to finally get DXd with all of these maladies (yes I have the spinal arthritis too). I think it has a lot to do with "stereotyping" by the medical community, or just not finding the "right" DR, or just plain ignorance. I have osteo-arthritis all through my body (I am 54).