Just diagnosed yesterday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wassi1, Jan 12, 2009.

1. wassi1

wassi1 New Member

Hi all. I was just diagnosed yesterday with fibro. Doctor has prescribed a low dose of Lexapro and some kind of anti seizure med. Along with the pain, I have had severe anxiety and dizziness for the past 6 years, and am also hypoglycemic. I hear alot about pain, but has anyone had debilitating anxiety? I am actually on disability because I can no longer drive. Has anyone found success in taking anything to rid of the anxiety?Is this part of the fibro, or something seperate?
    Thanks for any advice!
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi and welcome!
    I hope you find the support here that you need. There are a lot of wonderful people here, tons of great information and loads of empathy!!
    There are many people here who suffer from very bad anxiety. If you start a post with that title, you will probably get some good responses.

Many people here go the natural route, and many take meds for anxiety -Xanax, Klonapin etc. Have you ever tried either of those?

How are you dealing with your pain? Is it manageable or did your Dr. give you anything to ease it at all?

I don't know if it's 'part' of Fibro - the debilitating anxiety. I know that this DD can bring on many unwanted emotions/feelings and new issues to deal with. Either way, there is help for it. The Lexapro itself may help, but you need to give it a few weeks to get in your system.

I have been on Lexapor for a few years. Was never really depressed but had a low-level anxiety (big time worrier) and was prescribed Lexapro which did help take some of that away.

BTW- what was the anti-seizure med your Dr. gave you?

I hope you'll post often! We learn so much from each other. I'm sure you have a lot to share that we could all benefit from. Also, post any and all questions or feel free to 'vent' when necessary!

Glad you're here!
  3. star273

star273 New Member

Yes, I have suffered severly from anxiety. At one point I was like you, I couldnt even drive. I have noticed since I have gotten older ( I am 37) that is has gone away some. I do get very shaky and cant even walk when I get anxious. Its the worst feeling in the world. You feel like you are going to die. I do believe this is a part of the fibro, I know alot of people who have anxiety attacks but not as severe as people with FM.
    I take xanax and celexa and it seems to help alot. I also do stretching and deep breathing, that also helps.
    I hope that you find some comfort in this board, I know I have. It made me realize I wasnt alone and it wasnt all in my head.

Hugs are going out to you...

4. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Wassi1!

I hope you have some support at home to help you accept the diagnoses of Fibro. It took me almost two years (and many, many tests) to believe I have CFS. I was actually just diagnosed with FM last year. I have a wonderful family and friends that are always there for me. I live with my boyfriend and he does a really good job of trying to understand. (No one can fully understand unless they have it...)

Lexapro has been a HUGE life saver for me. I was just telling my sister last night. I started on 10 mgs and that was enough to manage my anxiety for a year. (I've recently doubled it because of menopausal mood swings - yikes! I had a hysterectomy last year.) I highly recommend Lexapro vs taking Xanax after the anxiety has already set in.

I hope you get lots of support and advice from everyone here. We're sorry to see new people because we know it's tough, but we love sharing and helping others.

Good luck!
  5. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Hi there!

So sorry about your diagnosis, as well as your other health issues. But at least now that you have an idea of what you're dealing with, you have the ability to arm yourself with knowledge to get better. I was wondering since you're hypoglycemic, if maybe you've tried a low carb or hypoglycemic diet? Do you think the low blood sugar could be causing some of your anxiety and dizziness? I've been seeing Dr. St. Amand (Author of "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia") and he talks a lot about the overlapping symptoms of hypoglycemia and fibro. He believes a lot of fibro patients also have undiagnosed or subclinical hypoglycemia. He started me on a hypoglycemic diet, which I admit is difficult for me to follow (especially over the holidays!) Over the last few years I've had sever hypoglycemic episodes in which I get dizzy, panicky, sweating and shaking. Just thinking a modified diet might supplement the improvements you will hopefully have on your new medication. Hope that is helpful and I wish you the best of luck! You will find a lot of support here!
  6. wassi1

wassi1 New Member

Thank you all for your information-you are wonderful!
    As for my anxiety, I have tried Effexor and Paxil, which made me feel so much worse, and also xanax and klonopin that put me in la la land, and I forget most of the day after I take it. I am really not a worrier. I think I was having hypoglycemic attacks at first and went years without knowing it, so that messed me up. I do feel better when I stick to a low carb, high protein diet, but fell off that wagon over the holidays!!
    Probably why I have felt terrible lately.....
    My doctor prescribed Lexapro and trileptol- a form of Lyrica but less harmful in his opinion. In the past, I have tried to manage pain with ibuprofen and hot baths. I felt good over the summer, maybe because we spend alot of time on the water and I can swim and float.
    I am also seeing a homeopath who knows about fibro, and is working with remedies and supplements for me.
    She has not helped much with my anxiety though. I still do not drive very far. She will not be happy when she hears of my diet as she also helps me nutritionally.
    Does anyone know the difference between the Lexapro and something like Effexor? I had so much trouble being on that, and then getting off was such a nightmare, I don't want to go through that again!!
    Thanks again so much, it's good to know I am not alone. Friends and family have been supportive, it's taken almost 6 years, but it's not the same as having people know exactly what you mean when you describe a symptom!