Just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annieoakley63, Jul 8, 2006.

1. annieoakley63

annieoakley63 New Member

I went to a rheumatologist this past Thursday and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis. I was diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in January and the RH feels like this played a small part in my Fibro. I know very little about this medical condition, but the RH did tell me that there is no cure for it and that I will always have pain. He prescribed Elevil, Ultracet and Etodolac. And information will be helpful. I'm just at a loss. The RH also told me that my past sexual abuse could be a major factor in Fibro. Has anyone else heard this? Thank you in advance.

Donna
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Welcome to the board. You will find lots of advice and friendly people here.

Fibro can be brought on by different things including abuse. Some of us can relate it to a car wreck or even a death in the family.

Many of us use natural supplements to ease our pain and other symptoms. Surf through old posts, ask questions and keep reading. The pieces will start to fall into place and you will begin to feel as if you at least have some control over it.

I wish you the best,

Linda
  3. annieoakley63

annieoakley63 New Member

Thank you Linda. I was extremely disappointed when I was diagnosed. After the RMSF I thought the pain would go away in a few months. Now I'm being told it will never go away. I hurt so bad most days that it's a struggle to go to work. And when he told me it could be linked to the abuse, I went into a tailspin. It seems like I can't get away from the affects of the abuse. I thought I had put it behind me and wouldn't be bothered by it anymore. Some things just don't seem fair. I don't want to sound like I'm having a pity party or feeling sorry for myself. I'm more angry right now, than anything else. And I don't like the idea of having to take so many meds for such a long time. I have a fear of addiction, because my dad was addicted to pain meds and valium.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have a friend who was very ill with 'CFS' for a long time. Finally a doctor tested him for RMSF and he was positive. He was treated with antibiotics and within a short time, basically recovered. I don't know that much about it but based on this experience, it is treatable.

Kathy.
  5. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Hi Donna,

I just love your board name...

I believe there are so many things that can trigger these DD's. I have read on the abuse thing too, as I to have issues of sexual abuse as a child. But, I also was in a car accident, I lost my husband to a lengthy illness, 8 months after the birth of our son...many stressors...

I am finally going to a Therapist on Aug. 2nd to deal with all these issues, I believe by healing on the inside it will make a big difference in the body. I won't be able to get rid of the DDD's but hopefully will get rid of some of the pain..or at least cope with it better.

I really don't know anything about the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...but I'm sure someone does on this great board..
    I wish you well on your healing journey...
    Cindy
  6. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I take many supplements, but the one that helps with the pain is a combo of magnesium, calcium and Vitamin D. The magnesium is probably what helps most with the fibro. I ran out recently and was waking up with a terrible backache every morning. It took me several days to figure it out. Duh! I ran out and bought a bottle and felt relief from the pain within a couple of days.

It sounds to me like your doctor doesn't know enough about fibro. I found the best help through an integrative medicine clinic. The drs there are naturopaths and I am being treated with a combination of natural supplements and prescriptions.

By far, one of the most important things for you to do is get your sleep under control. Try to get at least eight hours of sleep every night. I have been trying to get to bed by 10:00 every night. Not easy and I'm way past that right now, but it is better for me when I do.

I also believe in the power of magnets. I wear magnets to help me with my pain. I have found that some of the cheaper ones don't seem strong enough. I have invested in a somewhat expensive necklace and also a wrist band and shoe inserts by Nikken. I really do feel the difference.

I have been going to a physical therapist for a few weeks now. She specializes in fibromyalgia. I also have orthopedic issues that she is helping me with. She is fantastic. I am amazed at how seemingly simple exercises are helping me with pain issues.

My dr is going to be sending me for cognitive behavior therapy also, but right now I don't know enough about that to comment.

Remember that your entire body is affected by this disease and you have to treat everything. Many people who have fibromyalgia also have yeast issues. I treat this with 1200 mg of garlic every day. Some people say that even if you don't have yeast or don't know if you do or not, assume you do and treat it anyway. Garlic is good for you in a lot of ways.

By the way, my FM was triggeed by an abusive (now ex)husband. It wasn't sexual abuse, but any type of abuse affects your psychological well being and, unfortunately, this can be one of the results.

This might be more info than you asked for. If so, sorry! Any questions you have, no matter how simple, please ask them. Someone on here usually has an answer.

I read your profile. You are a beautiful lady. I am in Chattanooga, so we're not too far apart.

Linda

7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it is hard to tell what set us all off...when they figure it out then we will all be able to pinpoint it..

jodie