Just found out I have RA too...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shan1078, Jan 19, 2006.

1. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I went back to my regular Dr. this past Tuesday, and she told me that I have a high Rheumatoid factor in my blood work, and that I have RA. How can this be, I'm only 27. So now I have both! No wonder the Tylenol 3 I'm taking doesen't even touch the pain.

I'm going to see a Rheumatologist for the first time next Tuesday. Can anyone tell me what to expect. Are these Dr's able to prescribe med's stronger that Tylenol 3? Any info. I can get about Rheums's Dr.'s would be great.
  2. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Thank you, I'm just a little nervous.
  3. GBHope

GBHope New Member

How high was a RF? Mine is usually 1:160, but different labs have different ways of measuring it.

GBHope
  4. tifflyn

tifflyn New Member

Hi there ~
    Im new at this so I hope I get this right... I was tested for a bunch of things and my regular Dr. told me I tested positive for the Rheumatoid factor... when I finally got to see a Rheumatologist he tested just some of my tender points and told me it was the FM I had, not the RA. I guess you can test positive for it, but yet it not be whats the matter with you... Hope you have better luck getting a better med then Tylenol, cause my Rheumy didnt help me out what so ever.. told me to do yoga.. yeah right! Is there a yoga you can do sitting? :)
  5. scrapkat

scrapkat New Member

So sorry to hear your have RA factor. Does anyone in your family have a history of it? My mom, aunt, and my mom's grandmother all had/have RA so I am checked yearly. So far so good. Oddly enough my DH's died from complications of RA when DH was only 17. Even though I don't have the factor yet I could develop it. I just found out this week I have the start of Tremors which also runs deep in my mom's side of the family. My dr said it could or may not be the very beginning of Parkinson's but he did put me on a drug for it. I just feel like it's one thing after another.
    As for the RA - my mom takes quite a few drugs but they have totally changed her from someone who could barely move with big lumps on hands etc to someone that does more than I do now and the lumps have all disappeared. There is a lot of info out there - try googling RA. Hopefully you will be able to be treated before the signs appear.