Just found out my ALJ judge is a grouch, I'm worried

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb_46, Jun 4, 2008.

1. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Had my meeting with my attorney today, my hearing is this Friday and he said the judge I have is pretty crabby and grouchy. He said he either likes you or not, if he likes you you like as not will win, if he don't you won't. I'm a basket case with my nerves anyway and sure didn't need to hear this!

I have CFS and a herniated disc in my back and he wants to focus more on the back and I'd really rather focus more on the CFS because that at this point continues to be my main issue but will do as he says.

My concentration and memory are so horrid anymore I'm afraid I'll screw up and say something to hurt me. Please everyone pray for me.

Debbie
  2. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

Just do your best to relax and not worry !

When I had my hearing with an ALJ up here , he had been shipped up here from Arizona to do the work that the Wa. St. SSA people should have done. He was into his 4th week up here and was a bit grouchy. (I'm being kind.....). I wasn't sure what his decision would be , but , it was Fully Favorable.

Just "go with the flow" and don't worry about your concentration and memory issues. They are very common with CFS and a fair judge will realize these facts ! Grumpy judges can be fair.

As long as you tell the truth , there is nothing to worry about !

Even ....IF ...he doesn't decide in your favor , there is still legal recourse.

Blessings ,

b/c
  3. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I desperately needed it. I'm drained right now from the stress of the day which involved a four hour round trip to see my attorney.

I think I'm worried the judge might throw some type of intentional trip up question at me and I'll slip up with this stupid brain fog. I am going to try and relax the best I can and thanks again for the words of encouragement, they mean alot.

Debbie
  4. landra

landra New Member

If he really gets tricky (like creating a really complicated question) - that is your attorney's job to say i don't think my client understands your question. and if you cannot understand the judge's questions - how could you work???

Keep it simple. Tell the truth - everything I have seen here and other places say the judge is more looking at whether you are believable! State your limits clearly (there is a word for what I mean but sort of measure things) - "I can only work at the computer for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon."
  5. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Hi Deb,

That is what I was told years ago when I went to court for my divorce. Anyways, think of it like this, IT IS FRIDAY...maybe the fact that it is the weekend he will be more in tune in being in a good mood. Compared to if it was a Monday and he still had a whole week a head of him! Just a thought!!!!

Good Luck! Oh yeah, my hearing was also on a Friday and my mean judge was in a "good" mood! :)

Let us know how it goes!

Tropical Girl
  6. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Landra~~~~Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely use them.

caledonia~~~~I know what you mean about the adrenaline kicking in, I've got really bad adrenal fatigue so I'm hoping if there ever is a time I don't have any adrenaline it will be then.

tropicalgirl~~~~Yeah, I'm kinda hoping the Friday thing will help, I can't imagine being any more stressed than I am but if my hearing was on a Monday I think it would be worse. I will definitely post when I get home tomorrow.

Deb
  7. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

Keep your chin up !

Most likely , you really won't know what the ALJ's decision is until later. That's the way the system works.....Hurry up and wait....lol

In my case , I had my hearing in Oct. 2006. I talked with my lawyer after the hearing and neither one of us was sure what the decision would be. But , it didn't look good...

Just before Christmas 2006 , I received my fully favorable decision. Ya just never know for sure..... :>)

I finally got my 1st check/deposit in April 2007.

Blessings ,

b/c

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  8. romalaw

romalaw Member

Deb I can relate to your anxiety, it is sooooooooooo stressful.

Just wanted to share what my lawyer told me, he like having cases on Fridays because the judges weren't paying much attention they just wanted to get out early for the weekend.

Hoping for a positive outcome!!
  9. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I do so appreciate the words of support. Just got back from my hearing and I'll post a new thread about it. Thank you again so so much.

Deb
  10. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Hi Deb,

I have been thinking about you all day and wondering how it went. I can not wait to hear...I hope it went your way.

Luv ya!

Tropical Girl
  11. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Thank you for thinking of me today, I needed it. I just posted a thread about my hearing it should be on any minute.

Deb