Just got an e-mail from Dr. Lapp about Gupta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, May 8, 2009.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

In my last post about the Gupta Amygdala Retraining Program I said that I called Dr. Lapps office in North Carolina this morning. The receptionist told me to e-mail Dr. Lapp. I was surprised that he answered me so quickly. Here is what he said.

As for the Gupta Amygdala Retraining Program, we have found it very helpful especially if you have difficulty with stressors or copying with this awful illness. It is not a cure, of course, but another tool for handling the many symptoms of CFS/ME.

I definitely fall into the catagory of having difficulty with stress and coping. I'm thinking about trying it. The part that makes me wonder about it is the fact that you have to put your whole heart and soul into learning this program for at least 6 months. And I'm sure you all know that we're so sick and want immediate results because we're so frustrated.

I have to think about it for awhile before I decide for sure. On a lighter side this guy isn't bad to look at. And I love his accent. :))

I will let you all know if I do start it and how it's working and believe me I'll tell you the truth. When I read Dr. Lapp's words that it's not a cure my heart sunk a little. I've alway explained my condition on a scale of 1 to 10. Most of the time I'm a 2. So if I could get to a 5 or 6 it may be worth it. What do you all think?

2. Empower

Empower New Member

Keep us posted

I am thinking of trying it too

I am almost certain my CFS started because of severe levels of stress and a very traumatic event
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for letting us know. I'll be watching your progress if you start the program.

It seems very pricey for something that Dr. Lapp says won't "cure". On the other hand, Ashok Gupta talks about many people getting "100% results". I wonder why the discrepancy?

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2009]
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Anyone can claim anything on a website. If people were really getting 100% results it would be in the papers, on television, and every media outlet plus the CFIDS Association.

It is pricey and there are other alternatives to help you relax. I have no problem with his theory of which part of the brain is associated with anxiety. This is medical knowledge.

There have been no scientific studies to show this technique works. Gupta did do a study but it was people who had already signed up for his program, was not published or peer reviewed in any credible medical journals. There was also no follow up to see if the effects last.

For me, there are too many red flags to spend that kind of money on this program.

I am not being argumentative as people are free to make their own choices. However, I think it is important to be an informed consumer and see all the pros and cons about a product.

Google "cures for CFS/ME" There are a lot of people making a lot of claims that they know "the answer".

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2009]
  5. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

thanks for posting
    It is really great that there are doctors who specialize in cfs and that the different doctors are sharing information.
  6. cerise

cerise New Member

What have you got to lose?
    What can you gain? a "5" is way better than a "2" any day of the week!
    The whole key to our illness can be summed up in word "management".

As much as I hate it myself, we have to be honest with ourselves about the nature of our disease. To heck with what the naysayers say. It's your body, your mind and you know it better than anybody. Listen to it!

We know that major activity will affect us after the fact. It's an unusual factor about this illness. Knowing that and having experienced it over and over for years now, we have to take that into consideration when planning any activities. For example, I have learned (the hard way) not to schedule more than one appointment on the same day and not to schedule any appointments for a few days after the first appointment.

If Dr. Lapp didn't shoot it down, then I'd look into it some more!