Just got back from the Doctor had to laugh at her

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aoibheil, May 3, 2006.

1. Aoibheil

Aoibheil New Member

Ok, so I go to see my local PCP today for my monthly checkup. She starts talking to me about FMS. (Mind you I was just formally diagnosed with it within the last month by a Rheumatologist - who says I've had this for at least 20 years and it has just gotten progressively worse and his diagnosis was backed up by my Pain Management doctor).

Well, my PCP starts telling me all about FMS (LOL she doesn't know half the things all of you do!) Well she tells me that the overall pain I have is -possibly- FMS. But that she just can't figure out all these muscle spasms, because they're not a symptom of FMS. And neither is the widespread joint pain or the shooting nerve pains. (Remember these are her words, not mine.) Then she tells me that the only, -only- treatment for FMS is Neurontin - which I'm already on - and lots of strenuous exercise. Oh, and she also said the "limp dishrag" fatigue is just because I'm not active enough.

After reading here I just couldn't help but laugh at her. She's a nice lady and all and actually believes FMS exists, but she just doesn't seem to have a clue sometimes.

Just thought I'd share the laugh :)
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Check out some of the posts about Awareness Day (May 12). They have lots of info you can print out and give to her. Sounds like she just needs to be better informed.

BTW...how do you pronounce your name? It looks celtic. Is it your real name (you don't have to answer if you don't want to) or a screen name? I think it looks pretty, so I bet it sounds pretty too.

God Bless.
  3. Aoibheil

Aoibheil New Member

The nearest I can come on pronunciation is A-o-vel and yes it is Celtic. I'm in the SCA - and educational recreation society that recreates the middle ages. My persona is a 10th century Irish hedge-witch (in modern terms a herbalist/midwife etc).

Not so active in it anymore but it was fun and I miss it a lot. The costumes, the chivalry, the sexy guys in tights! Yeah, I miss it :)
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

LOL, LOL, LOL....I really laughed when I read that.

Thank goodness that you know better.
  5. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

My dr told me that she has a couple of people who have fibro and they work and live just fine,i was like ok so you lump us all together plus i also have 5 outher illnesses and she just smiled and walked away then came back and i was telling her i was having bad fibro fog trouble and she said well i think you might be making yourself that way by letting it get to you and beleaving everything you read,needless to say she is no longer my dr see she belaves in fibro but knows nothing about it or dosent beleave all the symtoms,sorry for all the misspelled words but i had to take a pain pill and well you know what that does to the brain,lol that and the fog makes me look real good,lol take care all,angelkisses
  6. mahx

mahx New Member

.....its good that you can still have some in these situations. As hard as it may be sometimes, its better for us than frustration. Educating ourselves is key...all info I find...I also give to my doc. Take Care
  7. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

"But that she just can't figure out all these muscle spasms, because they're not a symptom of FMS. And neither is the widespread joint pain or the shooting nerve pains."

She (and you) might want to read up on Ehlers Danlos. It's where the tendons and ligaments are so stretchy that the muscles have to hold the bones in place. So, the muscles spasm and joint pain is there as well. It isn't as well known as FMS. I was diagnosed with FMS too, but a geneticist diagnosed me with EDS...and yes, it's in the genes. I think many of us with FMS actually have EDS. Hypermobility is part of it also.
    H
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For sure. These medical people....

Love Anne C