Just got diagnosed with Shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 6cats, Jun 12, 2008.

1. 6cats

6cats New Member

Help! I was surprised at this diagnosis. I got a rash under my right chest area and thought it was heat rash because I dont wear a bra all the time because the straps hit my pressure points. (The rash I noticed this past weekend). Then 3 days ago I started getting a dull pain that turned into sharp stabbing pains in that area and around into my back.

My hubby told me to go to the Dr which I did today and I am now on Valtrex 1 GM 6 pills total 3 pills to take for 2 days.

Someone posted that shingles can impair your vision?? Do you think something like this I caught early enough? Now I am taking vicodin for the pain as well...it feels if it isnt one thing its another...sheesh...
  2. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

My father got shingles a few yrs ago. He got it on his face close to his eyes. He has had problems with his eye site. I'm no doctor,but I would think as long as it is not on your face you should be ok. But please don't take my word for it,ask your doctor about any concerns as to relieve your mind.Take your pain kllers on time. My dad learned the hard way and the pain got terrible for him when he didn't take it as prescribed.This could take a while to pass.Stess can bring this about.
    I know what you mean if it's not one thing it's another!!
    I have a pregnant daughter with MRSA in her lungs. It almost killed her a few months ago.The doc said she could relapse,I am so worried!
    Sorry I got off topic.But I know what you mean. Robin
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

i had an older friend who got shingles when he was in his 70s; his grandchild had german measles and he was exposed, not realizing lack of immunity--he was in agony and not someone to complain easily.

aloe vera was very soothing and the only thing that eased the burning and itch. i gave him a fresh large branch to cut open and use, i dont know if the OTC creams have enough aloe in them to work this way.

colloidal oatmeal baths or creams are wonderful, for poison ivy type rashes, bug bites, allergy reactions and shingles. Aveeno make a topical oatmeal cream.

i hope you find relief, i think it took 2-3 weeks for my freind's case to clear up.
  4. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I read that one of the worst, and maybe THE worst place to pick up MRSA is a hospital. If you/your daughter have other options for birthing (midwife's facility or midwife coming to the house), you might want to seriously consider setting it up.

If the hospital is the only choice, see what precautions can be arranged ahead of time to protect your daughter; the patient advocate or social worker which almost every hospital has, might be able to help.

G-d bless you both and prayers for a safe easy delivery for your daughter...
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, 6cats.

As you may know, shingles is caused by the varicella zoster virus, also known as the herpes zoster virus, which is the same virus that causes chicken pox. Anyone who had chicken pox as a child is carrying this virus in the latent state in cells of their peripheral nervous system.

Although the medical profession has not yet absorbed this, there are several factors that keep herpes family viruses in latency. When these factors are removed, the virus reactivates and produces symptoms. The factors are normal levels of reduced glutathione and normal levels of methylation of viral DNA.

In CFS, according to the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis, both these barriers are removed. That accounts for reactivation of the whole range of herpes family viruses in CFS, including Epstein-Barr Virus, cytomegalovirus, HHV-6, herpes simplex (cold sores) and herpes zoster (shingles).

If you want to know more about this hypothesis and treatment based on it, check my bio and also do a search on this board under "methylation."

6. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

I'm sorry you have shingles. I had them two years ago, and like you, I had no idea what it was at first. To me, it looked like a couple of spots where I'd burned myself. The lesions were raised, and I remember, by Friday of the week I had it, I was in the doctor's office because the pain was so bad. They immediately put me on an antiviral medicine. I had no idea that I was at risk for shingles at age 41. I mistakenly believed that shingles was an illness that affects the elderly.

I did not have chickenpox as a child, but I did have a bad case as an adult - at age 26. In fact, both my sisters had chickenpox the same month and year that I had them - they were 24 and 21 at the time. My youngest sister broke out with them two weeks before I got them, so it's no mystery how I was infected. My other sister lived 300 miles away, and still managed to get them at the same time.

Since I've had shingles, and suffered through the pain of that illness, both of my sisters started to worry about it. Both asked their doctor for the vaccine and both were told that they were not at risk and did not need it. My mother asked for it, and she got it. But then, she's over 65.

I am so sorry you have shingles, and I hope it gets better soon.

7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

There are various dosages depending on if you an adult or a child, if this is your first outbreak or a subsequent one.

Your dose seems rather low. I thought the shingles dose was 1gm three times a day for 7 days equalling 21 grams for 1 week.

This should be on the internet somewhere - I read it yesterday while I was waiting at the pharmacy but I don't remember exactly what it was but I do believe it was higher than this.

Can you call the pharmacy? I read it in the big PDR book that pharmacies have - the local pharmacy has one sitting out for customers to read.

Just don't want it to start to go away and then return because it wasn't long enough.

8. 6cats

6cats New Member

I did talk to the pharmacist and he had not given me all of the meds so yes I am on a weeks worth of Valtrex 1 GM. The rash is drying up a bit but the pain is almost intollerable at times. I find a cold pack helps along with my Vicodin. If the pain doesnt subside the Doc said he may put me on Lydacain (sp) patches for the pain.
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

This may have already been mentioned but there is now a vaccine for shingles. I actually ordered it from my doctor for both myself and husband.

I am a little afraid of vaccines so it is a decision...

I know it will not help you, but maybe others will be interested. Shingles are very painful I know.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2008]
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

look up using tagamet for shingles on life extension - as weird as it may seem, it works for shingles and the PHN/post-herpetic neuralgia pain. A friend of ours had it for 6 months in the groin, it was the only thing that worked for him...

Also accupuncture is well documented to help, and is how I treated mine. I had 1 brief hour prior to my 1st session where I had the pain, fever, etc... after the session I felt the infection receding, was actually walking around the store shopping afterwards! I was on valtrex as well (started the day before) - but given the quick results even from the first session, I give 90% of the credit to the accupuncture. the lesions even looked better, by the 3rd session 5 days later they were almost gone!

I had it before I knew about the tagamet, or I might've tried it first since it was handy.

good luck, it's no fun and you really do need to get it under control ASAP to prevent further complications!

all the best,