Just got my second paperwork for SSD, Any helpful hints or advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My husbad got his today also to fill out. Just wandering if there is any do nots that anyone can advise me about.
    Carlacat
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My husbad got his today also to fill out. Just wandering if there is any do nots that anyone can advise me about.
    Carlacat
  3. blast

blast New Member

Do you have a lawyer? If not answer all questions truthfully and acurate because you will eventually have to go to a government doctor. (This happens 98% of the time for filing for SSD/SSI)
    If you have a lawyer ask them to help you fill out the paperwork. They will be doing most of the talking for you if you have a hearing.
    My hubby finally got approved this past week after waiting a year and a half. Talk about stress. Now it is my turn to file for SSI.
    Wish you luck and myself too!!
    Sherri
  4. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

one did the job for me. Ditto on the above advice on getting a disability atty: they make their living making their way thru the govt maze. The law restricts the size of their fee as well. Hope you win this time, Al
  5. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Hi Carlacat - here's what my attorney told me:

Fill it out as if it is THE VERY WORST DAY OF SYMPTOMS you've experienced.

YOU FEEL WORSE. MUCH,MUCH, WORSE. (if you say you feel better or the SAME, you WILL be denied)

DO NOT type it.

WRITE ON THE FORM THAT SOMEONE HAD TO FILL IT OUT FOR YOU, IF YOU HAVE HELP.
    i did my own, in my hard to read scrawl, as it can be hard to hold a pen in the am, and i felt HORRIBLE that week! Some say it's better to fill it out yourself, blemishes and all, so to speak. I had to write all over the page to finish answers, and my handwriting was wobbly.

Best of luck to you!
  6. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I got my papers and my husband got papers to fill out about my disability. Thanks everyone for posting, appreciated.
    Carlacat
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SS just wants to be sure someone can verify what you have told them. There were a lot of questions my neighbor couldn't answer, but my Mom could answer them all. What my neighbor could tell them was that there were times I was in bed for days at a time and that I had not been able to file my taxes on time and had to ask for an extension because I was so ill.

Love, Mikie
  8. SAS

SAS New Member

HI Carla,

I filled out my paperwork in June as did my hubbie. My doctors filled out their (Primary Care and Rheumy) paperwork in Aug. I was sent to a social security psychologist in August, and found out from my SS representative (or whatever you call them) that I was approved as of July when I became unemployed. Checks should start in Dec. or Jan. BUT, still haven't received the "official letter". Some kind of computer snafu in Maryland??!!

Anyway, absolutely be honest. But you must remember to let them know exactly how painful it has been and how much it has affected your life. What I did was describe a typical day when I was in severe pain and exhausted all day. AND, I detailed EVERYTHING I did from the moment I opened my eyes until I closed them in the evening. I couldn't complete the paperwork all at once, just too extensive. So I gave myself a week to do it all. Same for my husband. That way you are less likely to leave anything out.

Just remember write even the tiniest thing you have difficulty with down, and absolutely anything you need help doing. Sounds like alot, but it is worth the effort.

I didn't get a lawyer, but would have if I had been denied.

Best of luck and God bless,
    Shirley
  9. teach6

teach6 New Member

I'm still working on tohe second set of paperwork I got ( I think, maybe the third?). I've had it for two months during which time I have had a m ajor family emergency. I was supposed to send it all to my attorney to llok over first. So I made copies of the papers and wrote it all out for him and now I"m copying it back onto their forms.

One of the things I wrote down as something I do during the day was "fill out paperwork, SSDI, retirement, LTD." I have mentioned in numerous places that I have difficulties with deadlines and stress and that is why it is taking me so long to finish the papers. As of last night I only had 6 pages left to copy. Today I had two appointments and tonight I feel awful. Better since dinner, but not too great, so I made no more progress today. Maybe tomorrow, or maybe not. If I could do all this overnight I wouldn't need disability!

Barbara
  10. donmia

donmia New Member

and i did have an attorney. He said when questions are asked, always answer as if it your worst day.I didnt get an approval or denial yet. they said it would take a couple of weeks. Good luck.
    Donna
  11. DebraP

DebraP New Member

There were times when filling out the SS paperwork that I just wanted to toss it. But, I hung in there and was approved AT my hearing...didn't have to wait as the judge told me then and there. My atty told me that it's VERY unusual for that to happen!

Anyway, be consistent in your answers on the paperwork. I made copies of everything I sent to them, which made it easier when it was time to fill out additional paperwork as I had a reference. Of course you want to be completely honest but do try to put down every little thing! For example, when I'm having a really bad flare it's hard to raise my arm to brush my hair....and a family member has to brush my hair for me. I put that in! :)

Hang in there...more and more fibro cases are being approved daily! Best of luck! Debra
  12. achy

achy New Member

All the above advice and from my Attorney...
    Do not ramble...answer the questions as simply as possible
    one scentence is enough...do not try to "explain". It may be interpreted the wrong way. In the long run what you put down doesn't matter...you will have more papers to fill out. Keep copies of EVERYTHING. It is hard to remember what we wrote even when it's the truth...They will ask you the same questions over and over...you must answer them the same or you will be considered "untrustworthy".
    This approach makes it much easier on us. I can barely write (or type) most days. Brief one descriptive scentences
    are better for our health...and our case.
    Read some of the Scot Davis suggestions on this site.
    Fibrohugs.com also has a USA Disability forum Mediated by an SSD/SSDI attorney.
    Good Luck
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy