Just got my sleep study results...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AquariusGirl, Jun 14, 2006.

1. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

Found out I'm not getting into my deep sleep cycles at all. I'm hoping this will be useful info and the doc
    can use this information to help me get feeling better;)
    My FFC doctor ordered this test. Just an FYI. Have to see him on Mon--but got the result from the lab today.

Wish me luck. Share any experiences you've had with this issue please.

Thanks.
    Kelli
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Good because you got a result that proves you have a problem. Good because the FFC doctor ordered the test, and he might just know what to do about it.

(I also saw and replied to your post on the Xyrem question.)

I hope that you have better luck w/the FFC doc than I did w/the plain-old sleep doc I saw a few years ago. He was NO HELP AT ALL! If it wasn't apnea, he was completely clueless!
  3. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I had obstructive sleep apnea and used a cpap for about 2 1/2 years. After I was 'tired' of it, my doctor decided to try to get the insurance to pay for surgery. The insurance company insists (at least mine did) that the doctor try the non-invasive treatment- cpap machine. The machine itself was bought by the insurance company and the doctor provided the prescription to get it.

A respiratory therapist helped to fit me and to determine the best mask to use. I used 12 cc's of air.

I ended up losing 34 lbs and I thought that the weight loss would help the apnea, but when the doctor retested me there was no change.

My base of tongue was a problem, as well as, the uvula was somewhat oversized (common with many) and there was excess tissue at the back of the throat.

Sleep apnea doesn't not only occur in heavy folks- I am somewhat small and had to use 12 ccs.

The respiratory therapist said that she has an overwhelming number of FM patients come through the door. My thought is that the FM and CFS got worse because of the lack of sleep and the fact that the body was never able to repair in REM sleep.

The ENT is the correct doctor to evaluate you, but you must get a sleep study to actually determine the level of air necessary for the CPAP. One word of advise- have the overnight study done- not the one that you can take home- because it is not accurate. The one that I took home suggested 7 cc's of air - way off!!! There is much more information when the overnight study is done.

I had the surgery November 2005- I have not used the CPAP since that time. I need to go back to have a post op sleep study, however, I know that I am definately better than before the surgery.

I had a MUPP and SOMA surgery.
  4. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I need to read the responses more thoroughly, but I had a sleep study done, found out I had sleep apnea, I got a cpap, all my doctors thought I'd feel better and that was 3 years ago. nothing. i am emotionally a bit stronger since using the cpap, but it hasn't done anything for my fatigue.

Again, really hope your experience is better. I really hope it helps you find what you're missing.

hugs
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Have you checked into using a dental device? I have UARS, and I did not get any stage 4 sleep, and only 3% stage 3, and it took me 6 hrs to get any REM sleep. I had numerous arousals and snoring. They recommended the dental device. I wouldn't have any surgery, as I have heard from numerous people it doesn't work, of if it does, not long term.
    Let us know what your doc plans to do to get you into the delta sleep. I'd love to know!
    Raz
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Hey I am in with razor.......Mine is working too and today I get the Xyrem.

No surgery for this person.....seesm to be the surgery of the 2000's.

7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Can you post separately on what they recommend? I have dreadful sleep patterns yet am med sensitive.

Love Anne Cromwell