Just got out of the hospital (sorry this is long rant and rave)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PianoGirl, Dec 13, 2006.

1. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

Every time I THINK things are finally going to go a little smoother, something else happens that makes me wonder how to survive life at times.

I've been diabetic for 3 years, have been on different regiments of oral medication, that seemed to work at first and then slowly got to the point where it wasn;t taking care of my diabetes like it should.

I took avandia for a while but unfortunately in a years time, i packed on 40 extra pounds, which is a major no no for a diabetic. My sister was on the same meds at almost the same time frame and she as well packed on the weight. Now, it just will NOT come off.

Switched to another med and then another and so on. Was finally put on insulin the day before thanksgiving. I took my blood sugar levels at least 5 times a day and kept telling the doctor, they are gong up and up, not down at all. I wasn't having a reading below 200 for weeks. Well, this past weekend, after yet another call to the doctor and yet another increase of the insulin, my readings soared to almost 500. This time I got scared. Ended up in the ER for almost 12 hours then admitted to the hospital. They put me on two new types of insulin and i'm still having readings between 200-300. Then to top it all off, i've been having chest pains so they did an EKG and they found "an abnormality" in it but are not sure what it is.

So, now, i'm home from the hospital, taking 2 new shots (4 total per day), readings are still in mid 200's to 300's, still having chest pains and yet, they discharged me.

I feel like I am at the end of my rope. My fibro has flared to levels never felt before. I feel like I am going to totally lose my mind. I'm edgy and grumpy and in pain 24/7 and just can't seem to see that light at the end of the tunnel that everybody talks about.

OH, and a side note, we were in a car accident on the way to the hospital, actually it was in the hospital parking lot, some idiot had a work truck parked in the red zone at the ER and as we pulled up into the parking lot, the sun blinded us and BOOM, we hit the back end, went under the truck and damaged the whole front of our car. The only good thing about it, the air bags didn't deploy. Neither my husband and I were hurt, I was just angry and shaken up and ready to cry and just a gammet (sp?) of emotions.

I'm trying to get ready for christmas, i'm puppy sitting my brothers dog, so we now have 3 dogs running around the house that are in hyper mode ALL the time, add 2 teenagers with friends in and out, throw in 3 cats, a stressful job and the pain (always seems to be the pain) and I just feel like I am going to blow and never come back.

I'm sorry this post is so long and I've whined and complained but I just had to type it to get it off my chest. I want life to be normal again, I want to feel good enough to say, Yeah sure, let's go for a walk or shopping, or anything to say I've done something. I want to have my kids stop worrying about mom. I want phone calls from my hubby and my friends to just chat, not call to check and make sure i'm "okay". I know I"m asking too much but i just want me again.

To anybody that reads this mumble jumble, thank you. I'm sure there is somebody out there that can empathize with what i am going thru and just maybe I can get some encouragement that can help me through this very difficult time.

LIs
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It sounds like you are under so much stress. Have you considered changing doctors? There must be a way for them to control your blood sugars.

I assume you see a dietician to help with your diet. I guess I am also wondering if they had you checked by a cardiologist?

If you do not have confidence in your doctor I would try to find a new one.
  3. krchamp

krchamp New Member

sounds like you have been put through it! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kristi
  4. MelaC

MelaC New Member

You really are stressed out and no wonder. I think it is enough to make anyone want to give up.

There isn't any quick fix unfortunately but as been suggested by someone else if you are not happy with the doctor that is treating your diabetes and you can i would find another doctor. I know my sister is also diabetic and had much the same problems you are. She was also put on insulin but it took a while for her body to adjust. The other thing was she was told to find a way to cut her stress levels as it affects the diabetes. I have heard it is not uncommon for diabetics to develop heart problems.

Right now your priority is to rest and take care of yourself and if possible get a second opinion if you are not happy with the doctor you have now.

Stay strong you will get through this.
    Hugs Mela
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

pianogirl:

What an ordeal to have to go through. I am glad that things may be calming down for you as you get through stabilizing your blood sugar, etc.

It seems like you came through the roughest part.
    You also seem like the type who can 'bounce back'.

I know all will work out for you. It seems the roughest part may be over.

nyrofan
  6. padre

padre New Member

What a long list of issues and stressors. Christmas alone is enough to put some of us over the edge. Your blood sugar being what it is likely doesn't help you cope. Might suggest that you go ahead and blow you stack (not at your husband or kids -- the cats can take it) Letting it out may help your sugar levels too. You are a great exampe that life is not fair.