Just got rear ended

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 2, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

sitting at a stop/red light.

Some lady rammed into me from behind!! said she fell asleep at the wheel!!! OMG! and I thought I did dumb things!???
    I denied medical treatment and said I may go on my own either tonight or in the morning~
    my neck feels stiff and achy on one side.
    I hope it does'nt get worse.
    I guess we'll see what the next few hrs bring~

I'm thinking: mega flare???
    hope not.

Yes,...a police report and all was done.
    I'm just glad nobody got hurt bad~
    asleep!!!???
    it ws 7pm !

going to bed~
    hugs
    Tandy
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm Glad your ok!! I always worry about that happening when I'm out driving!! Maybe a hot pack on your neck would help!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sleep tight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  3. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

I hope you're ok. I had that happen to me several years ago. I had stopped at a stop sign and the girl behind me didn't. I had the ambulance take me to the ER and I'm glad I did because then it was all documented. I had a major flare. I did do some damage to my neck (it was whiplash) but I had had a ruptured disk in my neck a few years before and that aggrevated it. Make sure you take anti-inflammatory meds and alternate cold packs and hot packs. I ended up having to sleeping sitting up propped with pillows because of the neck pain and the major flare.

Hope you don't have those problems. Keep us informed how you're doing.

((HUGS))
    B~~
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

So sorry to hear that happened!

A word of advice: if I were you, I'd probably go to my doctor tomorrow or the next day, even before you feel a major flare coming on, so that anything that is 'new' (ie, stiff etc.) is documented!

Seriously - I had a college kid pull out in front of me on a blind curve. He didn't see me because he wasn't looking at all, and I had 0 time to stop, and rammed into him at about 32 mph -- totalled my car because of the airbag going off, mostly.

Worse was not my arm being broken (both lower bones) by the air bag, but my wrist being dislocated...

because 2 years later it is still obviously swollen and I cannot hold anything more than 3--4# for about a minute. I also had and still have nausea and pain at base of neck - had MRI that showed only a slightly bulging disk there.... but seems like only a slight insult was needed to cause problems. The nause/pain didn't start until about 2 months after the accident.

To make a long story short, I went to physical therapy regularly and my orthopedic doctor that treated me in the ER, and I ended up getting way more in terms of a settlement than I ever thought, since I don't 'work' at a paying job...

My lawyer said many things factor into it, but one thing in my favor was that I documented everything by regularly going to PT and doctor's app'ts, there was no way it could be 'hearsay'...

I hope you don't go into a major flare, but, all I can say is to start documenting now just in case of that or any new symptoms.

All the best,
    Victoria

5. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Take care of yourself Tandy.....I had the same thing happen to my daughter and I right after picking her up from school. It was a kid from her class that rear-ended us because he had dropped something on the floor. I was just glad that I was driving and not her. Nobody got hurt and I'm glad nobody got hurt with you... Take care!
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

Its way more sore this am.
    One side of my neck is worse,...it pulls tight when I even slightly turn my head either way. one shoulder hurts to. (same side) This is new pain for me.
    I think for my own good I will try to get in to my primary dr. today~ for documentation.

The police officer said that if I went to be seen by a dr.,that I should call and let them know asap so that they could include that information in the report.

Heres the real kicker:
    The lady that hit me was way over-medicated!!
    It was apparent when she came over to talk to me right after the accident. (she was big time drugged!! I thought she acted drunk)
    She even told me that she fell asleep because she was on morphine and something else for
    a 'rare disease'.
    (sure,..try and make me feel sorry for her ) ??
    what would you's do??

Thanks so much for caring enough to reply
    Hugs
    Tandy
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

back up :)
  8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I am so sorry for your accident! I was rear-ended once years ago, but was not hit very hard like you were. I've been on a low dose of morphine for years now and it hasn't affected me like it did the woman who hit you. Maybe she's on a higher dose and just isn't tolerating it well?

I think you are smart for getting yourself checked out and having it documented. We have enough pain and other health problems without having people running into us.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Ellen
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm looking for someone to take me to the drs.
    evryone works!
    I don't have the car today so I may go later on.

Hope your hangin in there
    nice hearing from you again :)

hugs
    Tandy
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

get thee to a doctor right away! (lol)

--and update with the police for documentation...

I sure hope the police noticed she was intoxicated/drunk acting... and you told them what she said to you about the medications?

Hope you get in to see your doctor today, too!

best,
    Victoria