Just got Rx for Baclofen, anyone else use it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Sep 2, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

After my last awful massage my neck and back have been so tight and tense and sore, I can't get them to relax at all. Heat, medicated lotions, stretching, nothing works. So I went to see a Dr. (not my own) at the walk-in clinic, and he gave me a perscription for baclofen,10 mg, 4x/day. Anyone taking this med? Hows it working for you, and how does it interact with your other meds?
    Right now I am only taking 1.25mg of Clonazapam, and t'3s for pain(which isn't helping diddly) and soon I will be getting Fibro Freedom from Prohealth. I am hoping that will help.

Raz
  2. darude

darude New Member

Just started using and it is awesome!
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I was hoping it would be as good as Flexeril, which I tried and worked well, but it has lactose so I can't take. Baclofen didn 't do much for me I'm afraid, but everyone is different. I didn't notice any drug interactions w/ the drugs you take either, or w/ codeine, Wellbutrin or oxy.

Jeanne
  4. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I used it for a year or so, but it didn't work any better for me than flexeril did. In that category of drugs Soma worked the best for me for a while.

abbylee
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Is what I use, for a lot of different condition's.
    I tried the Baclofen, 3 years ago, when Medical wouldn't pay for my Soma's.
    I didn't help me at all.

I know a few people who have Lupus, and they take Baclofen and it helps them.

I was a jittery mess on the Flexeril, that's when they put me on Soma, and it's been such a Blessing to my Body.

It helps with my Mastoiditis, and my IBS,

Good luck, with you Med. I hope it will Help you and reduce some of your Pain.
    Sharonk
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

the name implies it is a sleep med. does anyone know if it's in Canada or if it contains lactose?

Jeanne
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Hope this will be of use.

Why is this medication prescribed? (Soma )Carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant, is used with rest, physical therapy, and other measures to relax muscles and relieve pain and discomfort caused by strains, sprains, and other muscle injuries.

This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

How should this medicine be used?
    Carisoprodol comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken three times daily and at bedtime. It may be taken with or without food. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take carisoprodol exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.

What special precautions should I follow?
    Before taking carisoprodol,

tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to carisoprodol, meprobamate (Equanil, Meprospan, Miltown, Neuramate), or any other drugs.
    tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially medications for allergies, coughs, or colds; muscle relaxants; sedatives; sleeping pills; tranquilizers; and vitamins.
    tell your doctor if you have or have ever had kidney or liver disease.
    tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking carisoprodol, call your doctor.
    you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how carisoprodol affects you.
    remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
    What special dietary instructions should I follow?Return to top
    Carisoprodol may cause an upset stomach. Take carisoprodol with food or milk.

What should I do if I forget a dose?
    Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.

What side effects can this medication cause?
    Although side effects from carisoprodol are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

drowsiness
    dizziness
    clumsiness
    headache
    fast heart rate
    upset stomach
    vomiting
    skin rash
    If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

difficulty breathing
    fever
    weakness
    burning in the eyes
    What storage conditions are needed for this medicine?Return to top
    Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from moisture and heat (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.

In case of emergency/overdose;
    In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.

What other information should I know?
    Keep all appointments with your doctor.

Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.

Brand names :Soma®
    Vanadom®

Brand names of combination products Soma® Compound containing Carisoprodol and Aspirin
    Soma® Compound with Codeine containing Carisoprodol, Aspirin, and Codeine Phosphate

This is from a website that has a PDR for Meds. I can't post the url, but I copied and pasted it for you, to shedd some light on what SOma is for thoes that don't.
    Sincerely,
    Sharonk
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Soma is a muscle relaxant and it isn't available in Canada. For some reason it was taken off the market as it appeared that some people where abusing it.
    It is very exspensive from what i heard.
    It was one I was hoping to get, but since it isn't available to us Canadians anymore, I guess it's not a happening thing!
    I don't think I will be taking this baclofen 4x/day like the dr said. Makes me feels funny. He only gave me enough for 10 days, but if I take it 2x/day, it will last longer.
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

10. pepper

pepper New Member

if baclofen can be taken as needed? I have a large prescription of Valium which I don't touch until I have unbearable muscle spasms. Then I might take 30 or 40 mg in one day - but not touch it again until the next bout of severe spasms. I would like to try the baclofen if I could use it the same way. Anybody know?

Thanks.
    Pepper
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

When I asked to try it becaue Flexeril worked well, but I couldn't tolerate the lactose, my doc said, "well that sounds pretty innocuous". One of his favourite lines.

Jeanne
  12. jesfms

jesfms New Member

the jaw pain i have was dxd as myofascial dysfunction so i was prescribed baclofen 4 times a day...i have to take it on schedule or the pain starts again..dr said it is not one that has much of a life so you have to take it regularly...he told me i could take up to 80mg a day..i am only taking 40 per day...i've been having alot of nausea so don't know if that is cause or if it is just the stress i am under right now.
  13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

does the baclofen make your head feel weird? I've only been taking it 2x/day, and this morning I woke up with my right ear plugged. I don't know if it has anything to do with the drug , but I've never had this before. I am having a hard time hearing. New thing for me!
    I've noticed that my stomach feels funny with it too, but that is one of the side effects, but not supposed to last long. How long have you been taking it?

Raz
  14. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

15. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

16. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I think that baclofen is an anti-spasmotic muscle relaxer.
    I took it for awhile and had no adverse effects. I believe it is one that you need to take regularly, although my doctor said it was alright to take less when I had less problems.

Strange that one person said it helped her sleep. I didn't find it made me sleepy at all. Isn't it funny how they all effect us differently?

I have taken skelaxin which helps me more, but it does make me too sleepy in the daytime.
    Presently am taking robaxin, a different muscle relaxer.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2005]