Just had this letter published in an English newspaper .....

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by paul38, Jan 6, 2005.

1. paul38

paul38 New Member

I wrote this letter & it was published yesterday - just wondered what peoples' response is :-

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I drove past my local church on Sunday morning & was surprised to see the same large number of cars as usual. This presumably reflects the quality of the service going on inside. It made me wonder, however, what our priests and vicars are preaching up and down the country at the moment.

No doubt they are telling us to pray for the wounded, homeless, and bereaved from the horriffic Asian tsunami disaster. But my question is how can they ask us to believe in a God with two such contrary attributes. On the one hand, we are asked to believe that he can hear our prayers and respond , but on the other hand he does not intervene in such terrible disasters.

A while ago a friend asked me to pray for him before a minor operation. But if God can really listen & help my friend then what was he doing when the earthquake was brewing? "

2. lilivy

lilivy New Member

Hi Paul
    God doesn't do bad things, the devil does. God wants us to serve Him, and He allows things to happen to get our attention. I hope it works in the Asia area. I wonder if the 3 hurricanes that hit Florida last summer worked. God loves us more than we can comprehend. He wants us to serve Him in the area that He has for us. I was born again 20 years ago and have been serving Him ever since. He has called me into a ministry of elderly women, doing things for them, taking them to doc appts. and shopping etc. He is there, and He is love.
  3. paul38

paul38 New Member

I find this kind of view appalling. Did you know that a third of the victims were children and most will have taken over 15 minutes to drown? You really think God allows this kind of thing to "get our attention"? Is that your idea of what God is like? You actually sound like you might be pleased it happened.

When I read comments like this I can see why here in the UK only 5% of people still go to church. Paul
  4. lilivy

lilivy New Member

No, Paul, I'm not happy about the diaster, nor any disaster for that matter. I am deeply saddened by it. It hurt me to think that u were feel that I was happy about this.
  5. Myoriah

Myoriah New Member

Paul,

We do not know why bad things happen. We see only a small part of the picture. There are those who think perhaps God could prevent diasters but at what price.

I believe that God can cause good to come out of bad. This diaster is horrific but I see people pulling together to help. People who have been perhaps selfish thinking about someone other than themself. I believe God can use this diaster for good.

I do not know why my husband developed Alzheimer and why he physically was not healed. I do know though that good has come out of it. Through going through that heartbreaking journey with him I became a better person.

By the way God does respond to our prayers. My beloved husband was not healed physically but he was healed spiritually. God's answers may not always be the same as ours but I do believe that he does answer. I do also believe that he cares about his children all over the world. I think he too is shedding tears right now.

Myoriah @-->----
  6. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Psalms 57
    Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.

Isiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create darkness. I the Lord, do all these things.

There are as many theories on why God allows disasters as there is the many disaster all through history. We don't know.

This is when our Faith is really tested, do we only believe in God when our lives are going good- the way we think they should- or do we keep our Faith in the Lord when we don't agree with what He has planned.

I know my God is right here with me, through it all.

How can you not believe in a God that has created all this wonder and,yes, even tragedy. Aren't His angels there lifting up his lambs.
  7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

The Bible says to believers that essentially while we're here on Earth that we only see as through a glass darkly but that someday we will know as we are known. I agree with one of the previous posters: we only see a small part of the overall big picture. Paul, we live in a fallen world, and we are fallen creatures. Duality of attributes? Some people argue that if God created everything and everyone, then He created evil as well even if only indirectly. Follow it through to its logical conclusion. God created everything and everyone, including the quality of choice/free will. Yes, He could have created automatons that blindly follow Him w/o question, but then would He receive "authentic" worship? Generally speaking from an orthodox Judeo-Christian perspective, God created Lucifer (angel of light) with free will who rebelled against God. Through him, evil entered the world re: the Adamic fall and the fall of nature, as such. Finite creatures will never be able to comprehend the infinite. Even in the Old Testament, God states, "My ways are not your ways. My thoughts are not your thoughts." I have often been mistakenly angry with God and have blamed Him for things that the enemy is responsible. The enemy is known as the prince of the power of the air. Maybe some food for thought.....
    Take care, Paul.
  8. paul38

paul38 New Member

Why do we "have to keep our faith"??

Even the Archbishop of Canterbury, the top church leader in this country has just said the disaster has led him to question his faith.

And some of you clearly believe in the bible literally. So what about all the many direct contradictions in it? What about "an eye for an eye"? Several places in the bible say 'God will show his wrath for sinful nations? Do you believe thats what he did in Asia?

I've read all your comments carefully & really if this is the kind of God you pray to its not a God I want to know. I used to go to church 5 days a week but really that was out of fear and needing a 'crutch' in life - its a great relief not to feel that need but just to do good for its own sake.

9. lilivy

lilivy New Member

Paul, there are no contradictions in the Bible. We need faith in God for when these tradygeys happen. I can't even spell this morn....they are going to happen remember God doesn't do bad things, the God for what happened, He didn't do it. Please read a KIng James Bible
  10. Myoriah

Myoriah New Member

Paul,

I think everyone goes through periods when they question their faith. Especially when something horrific happens and we can't understand why. Religious leaders are no exception.

Your bible quotes I think were from the Old Testament and they have to be read taking into account what was going on in that day and taking into account that they are translations. I am no scholar and in fact to be honest when it comes to the bible I am rather illiterate even though I have read it through several times. I also must confess I am not good at debating and being logical is not one of my strong points.

Thanks for posting. Your posts have caused me to look at my own faith and I have discovered that although my faith is childlike I would rather go through this journey with a childlike faith than no faith at all. Perhaps it is a crutch. Perhaps going to church is a crutch. But if it can get me through life and provide some peace and comfort so be it.

I sincerly wish you the best.

Myoriah @-->----
  11. lilivy

lilivy New Member

Hi Paul

God is love n true love does no wrong. Most ppl blame God for the things that go wrong in the world because they aren't aware of the devil n how he works. He is the father of all the bad in the world, thats why we need God to have faith n trust in.
  12. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

This is why I take this Bible literally, it seems that some people like to pick and chose what they don't like and what they do like and never really read the whole book, and for some they never do get a true understanding of God's word.

Matthew 5:38 " You have heard that it was said, "Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth'. but I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sure and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If some one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. give to the one who ask you and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Paul, it is a really sad thing that Satan has clouded so many minds to the Word of God.

May God help and Bless you.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2005]
  13. lilivy

lilivy New Member

You are so right.....