Just how sick can food intolerance make you feel? rop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Sep 21, 2008.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I was found to be intolerant to a few foods quite a while back and haven't really seriously exluded any of these foods... My doc thinks food intolerances could not undermine my health to such an extent that I would become chemically sensitive or feel so fatigued... Anyone any thoughts on this? Thanks, Shell
  2. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

since I went off gluten I've been much more aware of how food affects me. I was so shocked after being miserable for 4 months to find that I have developed what appears to be an allergy to the protein in coffee. I drank it for years with no problems and now I can't have any. The last time I had coffee ice cream I felt like I was having a panic attack. I thought maybe it would just be a sensitivity and I could have it once in a while, but found out that's not the case. I also discovered it was contributing to some of my muscle weakness.

With the GF diet I was using potato starch as part of my flour replacements and became sensitive to it to the point that if I had any I was in severe pain. I eliminated it from my flour use and also in my diet and now I can have it in moderation with no problems.

I also have to watch dairy. If I have too much I begin to have severe headaches and abdominal pain.

So, in my experience yes it can affect you pretty badly. I wouldn't have believed how much if I didn't experience it myself.

The most amazing thing to me after going off gluten is I'm not nearly as sensitive to chemicals as I was. I can actually walk down the cleaner aisle of a grocery store now and in the past I was not able to get within several rows without feeling dizzy and sometimes I would get chest pains. Things still bother me, but it's not nearly as severe.

3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I had a similar experience to Paulettes. I can handle chemicals, etc a whole lot better now that I'm not eating things that cause my problems. And my nuero problems were all from gluten.

BTW, You've got a good doctor ...

4. cct

cct Member

Sensitivities to food have dramatically impacted my ability to function.

My intolerances have really caused me some severe problems.

I can attribute some of my really bad headaches, really bad stomach upset, brain fog, muscle pain, rashes, etc. to food intolerance.

Getting my allergies tested was one of the best things that I have done for my health.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Can make you miserable, with me they cause head congestion,ear fullness, fatigue, body aches, and much anxiety.

I will have to go back to the doc for more test and a report to confirm what I think is happening to me.

A lot of what I tought were sinus issures are food related.

I also have MCS so trying to figure out which ones make me so miserable.

God Bless,

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

nice to see you back.

I have had such gut problems lately - had them for years but got so bad I decided I HAD to do something.

I've been on a strict anti-candidas diet for 10 days now - there is such a difference in my stomach, not in the pain and tiredness of M.E. though.

I'm going to stick to it because I feel I really have no choice.

7. Juloo

Juloo Member

Fatigue can be a significant factor from food intolerances or even other substances that people can be allergic to. For example, I had allergy tests for several dozen substances at once (scratch testing on my arm) and was 'technically' non-allergic to ALL of them. Six hours later, and all at once, a crushing fatigue hit. I called the doctor's office and asked what was going on -- they said they'd *never* heard of such a strange reaction before, so it certainly couldn't be due to the testing. A couple of years later, an alternative practitioner told me that skin and/or breathing reactions were not the only types of reactions that a person could have to problem substances -- neurological reactions, like fatigue, were also possible.

BTW, after the 'negative' allergy testing, I was in bed for about 48 hours!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/22/2008]