JUST IN CASE you weren't feeling OLD...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Oct 9, 2005.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly put things into perspective. . .

Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts
    together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen. Here's this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were mostly born in 1987.

THEREFORE:

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don’t know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, Boss, de plane".

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list.

Couldn't put this in larger type on this board, but when you pass it on, you might want to for those of youR friends who have trouble reading...

LOL,
    Victoria

(please don't shoot the messenger, hehe!)

2. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

that make me happy to be old. Well, nearly old. No, make that just middle-aged.

Those babies never attended a public school without security guards.

They never went to a concert, sports event or world's fair without being searched.

They never got to fly student standby and get bumped to first class on the way home from Mardi Gras.

They never had the pleasure of a concert with John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison. (They better hurry up, if they want to see Mick and the boys.)

The girls didn't feel the joy of the first day they were allowed to wear jeans to school--when it wasn't a snow day!

The boys didn't have to be afraid of being drafted.

Can you tell I graduated from high school in 1971?

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Victoria!

Francie

3. victoria

victoria New Member

I got to do some of those things... including watching pro stage production of "Hair" (so scandalous back then!) and others not mentioned...

and I outdate you by 2 years, so there, LOL!

:)
    victoria
  4. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

The lyrics to some of those songs go through my head all the time. What a great show that was! It's all I can do not to write a few here, but I'll resist!

I saw it again in the late 80s and it just wasn't the same. It irritated me that the jeans just had holes in them, not righteous patches like they had in the late 60s. I spent days putting patches and lace on my jeans. Not to mention embroidering flowers on blue chambray shirts for my silly boyfriend!

Francie
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

to do that for your BF! LOL I was embroidering my OWN jeans... also had first bellbottoms in my highschool, straight from army/navy store, the REAL thing, hehe!

I grew my blonde hair to my hips, several times frizzed it by braiding about 100 tiny braids, had angel hair when unbraided... got me lots of free drinks and food, hehe.

Reminiscing is so much fun! Thanks for the memories! -V
  6. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Looks like its only short-term memory that's gone today!

Francie
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

Schwinn bikes were the thing to have...with saddlebags for your books so you could ride to school

TV only had 3 basic networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) plus maybe PBS; the idea of paying for TV hadn't even occurred; we all relied on antennas or rabbit ears...

Coolest thing was to have your own transistor radio; best music was on AM, only classical music was on FM

Anything made in Japan was considered "cheap"

Girls HAD to wear a skirt to school even in winter at 0 degrees...so we wore pants under skirt so we didn't freeze our legs off! "Legal" as long as we didn't take the skirt off, LOL, such a fashion statement!

Popular girls' names were derivatives of boys' (Jackie, Bobbie, etc) (- precursor of feminism by Moms?)

Girls HAD to take cooking and sewing in jr. high, boys had to take shop.

Non-adjustable seats in cars so we short people were driving by looking THRU steering wheel...and sitting on edge of seat to reach pedals.

It was expected that females wore white gloves to formal events and church...

OH and we got our first pair of nylons complete with garter belt or girdle (NO pantyhose then!) when we got to attend "fortnightly" - biweekly dance lessons on how to dance 'properly', ie, waltz, cha-cha, fox trot... no twisting allowed!

LOL give me more time, I'll come up with some more...

Victoria[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2005]
  8. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

No car seats for babies.

No seatbelts.

Littering.

Low rider station wagons.

All those pretty blonde girls named Debbie.

Streaking.

One-piece red gym suits.

You mother telling you not to smoke in public.

Girls who got pregnant in high school just disappeared--the ones who kept their babies, that is.

Ramblers (My first car was a 1967 Rambler Rebel. It looked exactly like a cop car. When I drove up to my boyfriend's house with it for the first time, everybody in the house ran into the woods!)

I like this thread. I think I'm having a flashback. Thanks Victoria!

Francie
  9. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

this is great, i am going to send it to my friends and family.

hugs brit
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

When I was a kid the computer had not been invented. In fact, the ball point pen had not been invented. (More precisely, it had been invented but wasn't in general use.)

When my father was born, this country had no paved roads.

When my grandfather was born, Lincoln was President.

You might think I'm 102, but I'm only 65. LOL
    I remember going to the movies. It cost 25 cents. That included admission, popcorn and a box of Jujubees and I got 3 cents change.

Our telephone number had two digits and you gave them to central (a live person).

We didn't go to the mall. There were no malls. The doctor made house calls: $3. The prescription was filled for $1.79. Gas cost 25 cents a gallon as did a pack of cigaretts or a pound of hamburger.

Anyone w/ a steady job (store clerk, gas station attendant, handy man) could afford a pet and a house.

There was no TV, silly putty, panty hose, or LPs (long playing records). Cars had fenders, bumpers and running boards. There were no automatic transmissions or dome lights.

Any woman who wore heels w/ slax was a hooker. Ditto if she smoked a cigarette on the street. (But I grew up in a village w/ no hookers, police, crime, traffic lights, street drugs or juvenille delinquents.)

When women dressed up they wore gloves and a hat, often w/ a veil. Dressed up men wore a suit w/ tie and white shirt. There were no colored dress shirts.

Popular entertainers were Roy Rogers, Patti Page, Bette Davis, and Carry Grant. When rock and roll came along in our teen age years we were told it would ruin our character and blight the country.

Science and technology were doing wonderful things and the future looked even brighter. After the depression and WWII, the economy was flourishing. American was the greatest military and industrial power in the world. Made in America meant First Rate, the best, quality. No other country could do what we could do.

All a long time ago. All pretty much gone now and in only one lifetime.
  11. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

for a trip to the way back machine!

How about dyed rabbit feet as lucky charms?

Painted turtles as pets and chameleons on little chains that you hooked to your button?

Free mutt puppies in a box in front of every grocery store?

Squirrel skin jackets and bunny fur muffs?

Francie
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Boy, that was a fast response.

Yes I remember all the things you mentioned except a box full of puppies. I lived in a village. If someone had puppies, we knew.

"You want a puppy? Virgil Knudson got four and he's selling them for fifty cents."

But if you waited a couple weeks, there'd probably still be one or two left and now they were free.
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Rockgor, your post reminded me of this --

Do you oldies remember being told that there would be SO many automated things for everyday chores that leisure time for EVERYONE would be a "problem" as to finding enough things to do?

I DO!!!!!

Instead, statistics show that our (USA) work hours have increased...

...and work has increasingly followed us home.

What I wanna know is,

WHERE'S MY ROBOTIC MAID????

--AND MY SELF-CLEANING HOUSE???

LOL -V

[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  14. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

I love this. My girlfried turns 40 on Saturday.
  15. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I'm only 43 but when I read the top 10 I have never heard of any of the artists or the songs. I tell my older son to turn down the radio! That makes me feel old! Lynn
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

Had a TV for a while when I was very little, remember "Howdy-Doody Show", but it broke, parents didn't bother to replace it, so we read instead...including my ADD brother! As a result I never knew what kids were talking about regarding TV shows like "Car 54 Where Are You"... had to go to neighbor's house to see the Beatles on Ed Sullivan even!

We only had one radio too, was downstairs, usually switched to classical music...

This was VERY unlike my friends' houses, but my parents were a bit older in general, guess that's why!

I DO remember the cough syrup, Cosanel, had codeine in it, guaranteed to stop you coughing and let you (and your parents) sleep.... but don't remember getting addicted, LOL!

;-)
    Victoria