Just in time for Easter dinner == PEEP SALAD

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Every year you buy the Peeps. The kids expect them. They are an Easter Basket staple. No basket would be complete without the sugary little peeps with their pointy beaks. But then no one wants to eat more than one when there are other goodies to choose from. They sit around for a month and turn to stone, and finally get tossed in the trash.

Well, no more! When life gives you Peeps - make Peep salad!

Peep Salad

10 yellow or pink Peeps, cut into pieces
    3 just ripe bananas, 1/2-inch dice
    2 large navel oranges, sectioned, 1/2-inch pieces, and juice from one more
    12 maraschino cherries, halved
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur
    1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Mix together, let sit for a few hours and serve!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My mother used to make that. She called it ambrosia. No peeps but whipped cream.

Are you old enough to remember those flavorless peanut candies that were a pale pinkish-orange color? Probably the only candy worse than those bunny-peeps.

And speaking of candy, many decades ago I went to school w/ Mary Lou DeMet, the Turtle heiress. She was from New York and considered Minnesota to be the far West.

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

We have major Peep eatage at our house. Did you know this year there are tulips shapes, and even cocoa flavor?

I love the salad idea, though, but I'd definitely have to go out and hit the post-holiday sales. It would be fun to have some chopped-up blue and purple ones in there as well! Peeps never last around here!

4. Juloo

Juloo Member

Those are called 'circus peanuts'.

More than one or two, and even *I* am done with them. SweeeeeeEEEEEt! TOO sweet!

P.S. A fun fact about circus peanuts -- pieces of these were the inspiration for the marshmallow bits in Lucky Charms!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2008]
  5. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I love em a lot, they always were my favorite candy in my basket, so bright and cheery!!! I also remember those AWFUL peanut candy, hated those....
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I'd need more than that, preferably before eating, in order to eat it I'm afraid...

LOL I've never liked peeps myself.

Actually, you can just give me the liqueur and I'll be VERY happy...
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2008]
  7. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Ah yes, the circus peanuts. The old standby that holds a stable position near the bottom of favorite candy lists. I get a craving for 1 or 2 of them every blue moon, but I prefer them and Peeps when they are rock hard. In fact, no one here ever ate much more than a peep head, so I would take the package and hide it somewhere and let them petrify, then bring them out a month later. Mmmmm...Stone Peeps!

Anyone remember Snaps? I saw those a few days ago and couldn't believe they still exist. I challenge anyone to find a worse candy!

I haven't actually ingested one since I was 6. Actually, I think I spit that one out. But they are something like black licorice, wrapped in cardboard, and coated with tempera paint. Their slogan is probably, "A colorful chalky coating, with something even worse inside!" I am not sure if anyone has ever identified exactly what the "coating" part is, but from what I hear, the pink ones taste like soap!

I have always wondered, who would choose those when there is ANY other thing at all to pick from?

Unfortunately I don't have a salad recipe that will make Snaps more appealing. But they might be great for craft projects, like mosaic stepping stones for your garden, or a colorful alternative to tile flooring!

Juloo, you might want to stick to pink and yellow Peeps for salad. Blue and purple, when mixed with the other colors, turns the salad gray.

8. Juloo

Juloo Member

A friend sent me this picture this morning. It is entitled "Peep Show".

See my profile.

Hee hee.