Just Need Someone to Hear

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by auntsis, Mar 14, 2003.

1. auntsis

auntsis New Member

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since 1990 after years of trying to get help. I managed to get this stuff under control for years and now it has all jump up on me again. My husband was always a real support for me, however, in 1997 he was in a really bad accident and suffered permanent brain damage. WE have been fighting with doctors and lawyers since. To add to this "fun" story this past summer we were on vacation with our four children and got rear ended by a drunk driver. This really started all my symptoms back up. Fortunately none of us had to be hospitalized. We came back home, got a rental truck while mine was being fixed and got rear-ended by another drunk driver. Now we have a whole new set of doctors and lawyers to deal with. The insurance company didn't want to pay so we had to get a lawyer just to try to get our medical bills paid. I had to go to the school and try to get some intervention for my son because after the accident he lost his ability to read and concentrate. My support group has vanished. Two of my best friends moved and one of my friends died. No one really understands fibromyalgia and how stress makes it worse. When you put my husband under stress because of his brain injury he just quits functioning. He can't think or do anything and he has to go to bed. Everything is falling on me and I am breaking under this pressure. We had to become self-employed because my husband can't work without constant supervision. We have no medical insurance so I have just managed my fibromyalgia with diet, natural substances, meditation, etc. I just can't seem to get back on top of it since the wreck. I read a posting that talked about how the spouse of a person with fibromyalgia felt and she talked about how everything fell on her, well that is how it was before the brain injury. My husband took care of things because I was sick. Now no matter what I have to take care of everything. I know I need to reduce my stress but I just don't see how I can. I forgot to mention that last week we found out that my husband has a blood clot in his leg and is now on shots, medication and crutches. I guess I just wanted someone to listen to me and know what I am going through. I can't be sick for myself because I'm to busy having to take care of everyone else. I can feel myself getting sicker and I am scared. "Normal" people don't understand what stress does to someone with fibromyalgia. I just needed to feel like someone who understands where I am coming from could hear me. I guess I just need some hugs.
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

I am SO sorry for your pain and I just want you to know that somebody hears your fear. I would if I could take it from you. I wish that i was magic sometimes so I could help everyone:) Hearing your story makes me think I am doing pretty good in my misery. I will say some prayers for you and yours. I wish I could do more.
    LUVS, teawah
  3. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Lots of things going on for you. The only thing I can say is take it one day at a time. Are you on any depression medication? If not, you might want to talk to your doctor about that. It might help you cope with all your "life stess". Only recently dx'd, but have had fibro probably since age 4. Was single mother for 11 years and I don't know how I got through it all. Take care of yourself and good luck!
  4. phenom

phenom New Member

welcome to the boards. i'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it lately (probably an understatement). you're in the right place though, because i find just talking about things and reading about other people's experiences makes me feel no so alone and crazy.

we can't really help you with your stress unfortunately, but we sure can listen and send up prayers for you, and offer advice when asked (and ofcourse send you a big HUG).

i hope things sort themselves out - can you see a counsellor or ask a support agency for some help around the house? since you and your hubby both have disabilities, you may qualify for something? i hope so anyway. good luck and consider yourself hugged!

phenom