Just need to tell someone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by masondbb, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. masondbb

    masondbb New Member

    Like many of you I have fibro and have had for many years now, I know I don't post much but I do read the message boards a lot and learn a lot from each and every one. I just wanted to tell you what happened to me the other day that has really upset me and wanted to get your advice on what you would do?
    I have gone to numerous doctors for years to get the right kind of medications to help my pain. I have taken all kinds of stuff of antidepressents to anti-inflamatory type medications well you know what I mean what they put you through with trying everything that does not work. I am currently taking tramadol, baclofen, and topamax.
    I did have one other medication added to the list until last week oxycodone 10mg. It was a very small mg but it was a start. It was helping. I was going to a pain clinic to get this from a doctor whom to me was a godsend. I had looked for years for a doctor to finally help me with my pain this was the doctor who was finally willing to do that.
    This month when I go in for my appointment they tell me my doctor has moved back to his home town out of state and I would be seeing a new doctor. The new doctor listens to my story writing something out never discussing with me about what he is writing Im am just assuming he is giving me the same medicine. He tells me to go to the front window and they will take care of me there.
    When I get to the window the receptionist hands me a prescription for cymbalta and tells me he does not want to see me for six months. You can imangine my shock. She even seems suprised. The doctor has disapeared.
    I have taking this before it does not work for me. How do you go from oxycodone to cymbalta? This is ridulous. My hopes of getting help for my pain have been crushed. I am back to square one again of trying to find yet another pain doctor. This means going out of state probably.
    Needless to say I will not be going back to this doctor again. Sorry this is so long I just needed to tell someone. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this or responds.
  2. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    Sorry this happen and it sure isn't right that he didn't even discuss this change of medication with you.

    I would call the office explain the situation and say that you want to see the physician to discuss this medication change in person.

    Sorry I am probably not much help but I wish you the best of luck.

    Take care,

    Karen :)
  3. mezombie

    mezombie Member

    It sounds like you had a good doctor, but now that he's gone, you're stuck with someone who isn't even bothering to read your file.

    I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but I would contact any local or state support group and start looking for someone outside this medical practice.

    You do not deserve this!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2006]
  4. kellyann

    kellyann New Member

    Well that sounds like an awful doctor visit! I wouldn't go back either. And this was a pain clinic? You need to find another. I know it isn't fun, I hate going to doctors too. I was going to a pain clinic where I had to go once a month and get my refills. Still better than doing without. You just have to keep trying until you find a doctor who will help you. I think it is so stupid that they make it so hard for people who are in pain to get medicine to help. What in the world is the medicine made for if not to relieve pain?
    I wish you all the luck in the world when you go to find a new docotr!
  5. padre

    padre New Member

    Remember, half of the doctors in America graduated in the bottom half of their class.
  6. WendyStoopy

    WendyStoopy New Member

    Keep at it. It's true, those of us who most need competent and compassionate care often don't get it.
    My rheum just left the practice. I hope the other doc can help me but I already met him and he seems like a greedy a**hat.
    People (doc included) are so critical of folks needing pain meds, don't they know we would LOVE to not need them?
    Again, good luck.
  7. Lendy5

    Lendy5 New Member

    Hi Debbie - I am so sorry you are having to go through this all over again. I truly understand but don't give up.

    This new doctor should not expect you to stop oxycodone without being taken off slowly. I would call his office and ask for him to return your call.

    Also you can try the Good Doctor List and this will allow you to pull up doctors from your state hopefully within driving distance. Click on the highlighted tabs at the top of your page that says "Doctors"

    Good Luck and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

  8. masondbb

    masondbb New Member

  9. suzette1954

    suzette1954 New Member

    been put under, not counting the pain with out the right meds. I am on 5 different pain meds. I go back to my rheumy next week and my husband wants to know why he cant give me one pill that will work like 5. I know that the next level would be something like oxycodone. I have cousins who became addicted and stole from the family and are now in prison so Im alittle anxious about talking to him about it.

    Do you have a primary care physican? If so, Call or go and ask for a reference to a very good rheumy or another pain clinic if that is the way you want to go.

    My 2nd rheumy moved out of state and I got a new one that is the most caring dr I think I have ever gone to. Keep looking. We have a terrible disease that not many understand including us!! I will keep you in my thoughts.

  10. jessica0123

    jessica0123 New Member

    I am sorry as well. Find a new pain Dr. For now... I am taking oxycoton and Cymbalta together. We are working our way up on the Cymbalta my DR wants me to go up to 90 mg if I have to, right now I am at 60 mg
    Have you tried Lyrica? You have got to get a new pain Dr. No Dr should see you in 6 months this is unacceptable good luck!
  11. kirschbaum26

    kirschbaum26 New Member

    Dear Debbie:

    No one deserves to be treated this way. Call his office and request a prescription to "wean" off this med. If he refuses, call the state medical licensing board in your state. I think you can find it through firstgov.gov. Then make sure that you contact your insurance company to complain about this doctor. Oh, and find a new doctor...quickly.

    Good luck.


[ advertisement ]