Just Need Validation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam112361, Aug 1, 2006.

1. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Hi everyone! I don't really have any complaints today (it's a miracle!!!). I just happened to read another post where someone said they liked to watch funny movies because it made them feel good.

My question is: after being on the go from 4am to 5:30pm (or later), don't I deserve to get to come home, relax, and watch "fun" stuff on TV? I enjoy comedies, reality TV, etc. My husband thinks, because that's what he likes, that I should watch TLC, The History Channel, and The Discovery Channel all of the time to "learn something".

I told him I use my mind for 12 hours a day and don't want to have to watch something that requires brain power. I don't have it in me after working all day. I don't want to figure out things about past wars, old planes, submarines, etc.

Am I wrong to just want to watch something that may be amusing, entertaining, or just plain stupid even though it requires me being a "couch potato and watching that idiot box"?

Hugs!
    Pam
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You're not wrong! My DH watches those things, too. I am not the least bit interested!

I am lucky that DH goes to bed at 8:00 and then the TV is all mine! I watch reality shows. I never did until this year, now I'm hooked!

When DH is watching his shows I read a book or do the crossword puzzle from the paper. He will make a comment on the TV show and I look up and go, sorry, I wasn't listening. Amazing how I can tune that stuff out.

If DH doesn't have his hearing aids in he turns the TV up so loud I have to leave the room. I lay on the bed in the spare room (lights better there for reading) and read my book. He will come look for me and put in his hearing aids so I can sit in the living room with him.

See if you can compromise and do every other show. One of his, one of yours. Might work!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

You need to do what helps you to relax. I had Fibro for 18 years before I delevoped CFS. I pushed and pushed like there was no tomorrow. I did things I enjoyed, but I was always on the go. I wonder sometimes if I had learned to relax more if I would be better off today.

You should do what you need to do to relax. Ask your hubby how happy he'd be if you kept after him to watch what you wanted him to watch. He needs to take it a little easier on you. Don't think he'd want you to end up like me. No job and no life because I'm now disabled.

Good Luck
    Barb
  4. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Tera: I would love to see my DH dressed as a clown. Then he'd look like he acts sometimes (LOL)!

Greenbean: I do the same thing when DH is watching one of his history shows; I read. And I don't complain when he watches Andy Griffith for the 50th time either!!! (He also likes TV Land).

He makes out like he never watches TV, but he does get caught sometimes. Even though he works hard and brings in the majority of the money, his hours are typically shorter than mine and he spends that time piddling with stuff outside or watching his precious "knowledge channels". I don't say anything because I know he works hard, but I do to, and I think I deserve to get to watch what I want if he's been sneaking peeks at the TV during the day!

Two or three Andy Griffith's a day in addition to the "make you smart stuff" should be enough for anyone!!!

Just griping! (LOL)

Pam
  5. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

is why I spend so much time on this here computer!!lol

6. mrpain

mrpain New Member

are on the same wave link.... We have a few televisions throughout the house and if one wants to watch something different than the other one, problem is solved! But we're pretty similar so we usely watch shows together until my wife can't keep her eyes open any longer...(which is around 8pm)...so I get on this board about that time.
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi Pam!

I'm with you! I love to watch funny stuff. I sat here this afternoon wastching a 30 minute stand-up comic show on Comedy Central channel and laughed my head off. I had to wait till comercials to take a drink so I didn't choke!

My hubby likes to watch wrestling, Monster Truck competitions, car fix-up shows like Pimp my Ride, and other stupid shows like MTV's Room Raiders and "NEXT."

We have 2 TV's, thank heavens!

Hugs,
    "E"
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

I have been there but had 2 tvs so it does help.

Maggiage is about compromise, so speak up and take charge of the remote,lol.

I have to admit I am a TLC, NGC, Discovery but mostly home decor, remodeling, animal and medical shows- but always love a good comedy.

Hang in there-Carla
  9. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I agree with Barbinindiana. I too had fibromyalgia for 5 years before getting floored by cfids. I wonder if I were able to relax more, if I would be in this nightmare today.

It's OK to relax, regardless of how you choose to do it.....as long as it works for you, who cares what you watch.

It's also very healing to laugh. I always feel better after a good laugh (always).

scapper