Just plain walking and wham!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UPK5, Sep 5, 2005.

1. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Fibrofriends,

Today I was walking inside my sister in law's house. I was walking in a straight line, not on steps, not even chewing gum and WHAM I stepped down with my left foot and the inside of my calf went SCREECH! OUCH! It was five hours ago and I can't put any pressure on my foot. I wasn't dancing, jogging, skipping, JUST PLAIN WALKING. It is very frustrating. I wonder if this is fibro related or what? Luckily my knee is okay.

I have been in chronic pain for a year and a half, probably an 8 or 9 everyday. However, for some reason the chronic pain that I thought would NEVER go away, seemed to have dropped down to a 3 on a scale of 1-10 the past 3 weeks. I was so HAPPY. Not complaining. The body parts that hurt, still hurt a little, but nothing to complain about. In fact, I haven't been taking pain killers, because the pain was so minimal.

Tomorrow I am starting work again (teaching) and I hope the muscle spasm (I suppose that is what happened) goes away. Otherwise, how will I start the new school year. What timing!

Any suggestions?

Limping along,
    Cindy
  2. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

I feel so bad for you cause you were feeling better and now you have this new pain to deal with! What a bummer, sounds like the timing could not be worse as well.

The only advice I have to give you is that you may want to go to your doc and have then check your foot to see if maybe you sprained it or something. I know it may not seem like what you did to it was enough to cause injury, but as you probably know, us fibromites are VERY prone to injury and we can be fragile. Believe it or not, I actually got whiplash in the car with my husband without us even hitting anything!!! I have had swelling in my ankles and feet with no injury whatsoever. It's crazy sometimes. Hubby says I might be better off wrapped in bubble wrap (he was joking of course, he tries to be very understanding).

Hope it gets better real soon and you go back to your much lower pain days.

Hugs,

Jessica
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your caring response. I was in SO MUCH pain yesterday. I had trouble sleeping last night. It was so weird, how not doing anything, did something so painful.

The good news is... it hurt a little this morning. However, I went to work, my first day back and had to stand on my feet all day setting up my classroom.

I was so nervous, that I wouldn't be able to do a thing. But the pain dissipated almost as strangely as it appeared. It wasn't instantly, but it was after a night's rest. Hooray.

I think you are right, having FMS and maybe some sort of PMS makes our bodies do nutty things. I know it was NOT a psychological problem, cause I was so happy about returning to school.

I am grateful to be feeling better today. The way I felt yesterday, not being able to step down, the whole calf screamed with PAIN, was very frightening. I hope I don't experience any more fluke accidents. Otherwise, I may need some of your bubble wrap!

I hurt my shoulder in January and it had never bothered me before and I have struggled with that pain ever since.

Thanks again for your concern and kind words. I was starting to feel sad that no one cared about my pain.

Smiles and hugs,
    Cindy
  4. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Nancy!

I thank you for bringing more smiles my way too. The children will not start until Thursday. Today we had our first staff meeting and then my assistant teacher and I were very busy setting up the classroom.

I work in a pre-school, and almost every year I work in a different room. I have so many of my things all over the school. We had to set up new bulletin boards, select signs to hang on the walls, and make the classroom a fun, exciting, learning environment for the new children who will be starting on Thursday. We both prepared some things at home, because there is so much to do. I am thrilled my leg was able to hold me up as I bounced from one corner of the room to another.

What does your husband teach? Can he walk and chew gum at the same time?

I feel very fortunate that the intense pain has subsided and I feel confident that I can finish setting up my classroom tomorrow and meet the parents tomorrow night, & come in with a big smile on Thursday to welcome all my new precious new students.

Hope you are feeling well too.

Keep on truckin'
    Cindy
  5. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Dear Nancy,

I enjoyed your delightful sense of humor, as I read your response.

I was thinking of you this morning, when I woke up and my right calf started HURTING, uh oh, I thought. I already wrote to Nancy, I am better. Can't go back on my word!

I was on my feet even longer today, and both were bothering me, but not like the tear I felt on Sunday. I rested for approximately 15 minutes when I got home, took a hot shower too, because tonight was the parent orientation.

Tomorrow we will meet our new set of children. It should be great.

Thanks for sharing your personal stories and again, your bright and delightful sense of humor. It is so important.

Hoping you are feeling well, too.

Smiles and hugs,
    Cindy
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but of getting to work with children-though I've done several things in my life,it always came back to children.As it is now,I'm not even dependable enough for Sunday School

..I have my legs go out from under me all the time. You have to be really careful of how you fall(this sounds silly while you are in pain or you may twist and cause a worse problem.I've had that crampimg before and it is excruciating.It will take some days before your muscles recover from that tightening.Sorry I missed your post the other day.I didn't have much energy and was looking for the posts that hadn't been answered.So nice to meet you,Linda
  7. hubby

hubby New Member

I am reading posts tonight, can't seem to get at them as much as I would like because sitting at the computer really causes me trouble for a couple of days.

I just wanted to say say you are right about us fibromites eing so exceptionally frgile and susceptible to accidents. I fall all the time, and husband has to help and as he helping me us, he is saying how in God's name did you do that?

Also if we hear something weird happening, we look at each other and say don't even think it, as if it can happen it will me. He says he cannot fathom how these weird things happen to me. But they do.

I also was tld, though I have had several surgeries and recuperated fine, that my back Dr did not want to operate anymore than he had to as he has found from experience that Fibrmyalgia patients don't seem to recuperate as they should. I wouldn't have believed him as i said i have recuperated some serious surgeries, but I had a sinus and devciated septum surgery a couple years ago, never had sinuis's cleaned out before, and I still cannot brath out of one side of my nose and I don't believe my sinus's have been the same since then. I have sinus infections all the time, and or headaches related. I always question surgeries, as a nurse I know all the things that can go wrong without warning.

My back is bad and another part of it, is starting to act up again tha I had years ago and I cannot fathom what I will do, end up in wheel chair from falling or not being able to walk. I am very unblances and it seems that I am walking a balance beam some times, and i have to hang on to hubby. I am sure this is not new to anyone as I have read these side effects, and just wish I could have a few of them and not a whole bodies worth.

Have a good night, Hubby
  8. badluck

badluck New Member

Just wanted to let you know this same thing happened to me about a year ago. I was just coming off the last step (thank God!!) when it felt like my muscle just came apart. It actually felt like one of those old window blinds that used to just fly open for no reason, lol!

Anyway, when I saw my doctor, she said believe it or not this can happen to anyone, not just someone with FMS. What happens is the tendon or ligament will just "let go" and tear. You should have it checked out by a doctor just to make sure that a minor surgery isn't needed to repair it if it was a tendon, and they will show you how to wrap it (Ace bandage type wraps) to give it support for 10-14 days while it heals. And yes it is horribly painful trying to walk without that extra support. Much better with the wraps. Hope this helps you some!!
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Cindy:
    I clunk around just walking and can miss a corner or something. If it has been five hours and you can not walk, I would make a fast trip to the doctor (or ER, last resort) to see if you can start work tomorrow. How if you can not. But: if you are back up and walking soon, then you are on the mend. What's a little more pain?
    Hugs,
    NyroFan