Just quit my job due to FM~ advice, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. jole

    jole Member

    For the past 4 years I have gradually gotten worse to the point of becoming a total robot - work, home, bed, work, home, bed. No life whatsoever, and the pain and fatigue gradually increasing to the point that my pain was staying at a level 6-8 and fatigue the same.

    I have pushed through the pain and fatigue for so long so we could have the extra income and insurance, and just couldn't do it any more. I had cut down a day, thinking by not working Wednesdays it would help. Unfortunately, it just meant that I slept all day Wednesday to make it through the next 2 days, then slept all Sat and part of Sun.

    To make a long story short(er) I was on vacation last week, and suddenly my pain went from an 8 to a 3-4. Wow!! I honestly didn't know how to behave, and my family was thrilled to have "me" back after so long. Yes, I still ached, and the fatigue was there, BUT I could honestly THINK again. And I stayed in bed all night instead of wandering the house in pain.

    Doing transcription, sitting in one position for 8 hours a day has caused such pain in my back, neck, shoulders and thighs and I honestly thought it was completely FM. Now I find out it's from my job aggrevating the FM. So I quit.

    Now I'm really scared. no insurance. No income but my husband's SS and a little side job of his. I need advice. Can I try for disability if I quit instead of being fired? My PCP won't help me, because she says she doesn't deal with disability cases so I don't know where to turn next.

    Would appreciate any advice you can give. PS - I feel like a new person, albiet a scared silly one!!:)

    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]
  2. jole

    jole Member

    Wow! This board is a-flyin'. What happened? Bumping for me.
  3. mrdad

    mrdad New Member

    Sorry you are not doing well!! Being that your Husband
    is on SS, you may also qualify for some benefits as his
    income must be fairly low. Suggest that you check www.dis-
    abilitysecrets.com and also the WWW.SSA.gov as starters.

    Get back with us as many here have had a lot of experience
    with the Process. Also see www.nolo.com

    "talk" later,
  4. kirschbaum26

    kirschbaum26 New Member

    Dear Jole:

    Geez, glad to hear that you had such a dramatic improvement during a vacation, and you were able to realize what has been causing much of your pain. I am sure it was very hard to quit your job...but I am guessing it is all for the best.

    My advice regarding disability is to find another doctor. I do not think that doctors can say that they do not "handle" disability cases. It has become part of their job. I must tell you that if you had such a big difference in your pain level, that your doctor is most likely guilty of malpractice for not having you off work in the past.

    Does Kansas have any kind of state disability? In CA we have SDI, which gives you 50% pay for up to one year. Also, how long ago did you quit your job? I just wonder if you have any kind of short or long term disability through your job?

    Just some thoughts. HOpe that you can enjoy the "old" you again.

  5. lovethesun

    lovethesun New Member

    They will want documentation like MRI's Doctor notes.More people will answer this but keep a chronicle of your pain.Linda
  6. jole

    jole Member

    I have wondered about disability, but am afraid I put the horse before the cart. I know I can no longer work, and should have quit sooner, but how do I go about proving that if I do better now?

    When I was working, the fatigue just didn't let me think or plan ahead - it was just survive each day. Now, I see I should have done more perhaps.

    I plan to get all my doctor's records, etc. and start there, and I will ask at work about ST or LT disability as I still have a few days of work left, but doubt if that will happen through my job now that my resignation is in. Just never had a clear thought before.

    I feel so totally stupid! But I was to the point that another month would have been the "straw", you know? Just didn't care if I lived or not anymore.

    Thanks for your words of wisdom, all.

    Friends -
  7. rockgor

    rockgor Well-Known Member

    Yes, you can try for disability. Question is, which one?

    If you want to apply for soc sec disability, there is a lot of info available on this board.

    Do you have a disability plan thru work? Look at the deductions from your pay. Some people were paying for this protection w/o really knowing they had it.

    Does Kansas have a state diability program? In Calif., as indicated above, if you lose your job you may be able to get benefits because you are disabled.

    Workers' Compensation. Another state program. Don't know the law in Kansas. Every state has its own laws. But in CA you can get benefits if your job caused or aggravated your illness. Talk to a w/c specalist. Do not try to make the determination yourself.
  8. carebelle

    carebelle New Member

    I wish they would have fired you then you could get unemployment for a while.
    I do not know how to help you but I will pray for you.
  9. mrdad

    mrdad New Member

    Just as an added point of information I collected Cal
    State Disability for my illness which was not job related.
    I had been "layed" off and was collecting U.I. for over a
    year. About that time they came up with a diagnoses that
    allowed me to collect State Disability Benefits until I
    exhausted them completely. Point is that in Cal the ill-
    ness does not have to be work related.

    Just thought I'd toss that into the discussion.
    Of course, Kansas could well be very different, Dorothy!!

    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2006]

[ advertisement ]