Just Read Article on GABA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 2, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Today's newspaper had an article on how adding GABA to old monkey brains made them more alert and able to focus without the misfiring of neurons in their brains. It made them respond to stimuli like young monkeys. Studies will begine using people.

Neurontin, Klonopin, and GABA supplements help those of us who take them. They also help with sleep, sensory overload, anxiety, RLS, and tinnitus. Studies are being done on Klonopin to determine whether it helps disrupt the pain signals in the brain as well.

Many of y'all are getting sick of my recommending that people read Dr. Paul Cheney's article on Klonopin in our library, but honestly, I think it is one of the best articles I have ever read about why we have so many neurological symptoms. Since we do have so many new members, I think it bears repeating.

I have been pretty casual about using the Klonopin during the day except when I suffer from sensory overload or anxiety, but I think I will definitely try to keep a small amount going during the daytime and see if it helps with my cognitive problems.

Love, Mikie
  2. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I just posted this very article and than as I read the post topics I saw your post on it. When I read the article I thought to myself, "Well, why didn't those researchers read Dr. Cheney's article, he knows this stuff already!" LOL

Hope you are feeling great today. Surgery healing nicely and all. My best to you. CLD
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your taking the time to reporduce the whole article. That was nice of you. Thanks too for your good wishes.

Yesterday, I was pooped coming off the antiviral meds, but today, I feel great again. Perhaps my own immune system is taking over. Guess I'll just have to wait to see.

I think infections are a HUGE problem for most of us. I don't think our docs are paying enough attention to this facet of our illnesses.

I also think the GABA connection is also very strong. It's amazing how many of our symptoms are addressed with the antiseizure meds. Again, thanks for reproducing the article here.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I cannot tolerate Neurontin or Klonopin, and have been taking GABA for about 10 yrs. It really helps calm me down and seems to have no side-effects.
    KLutzo
  5. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Just had a molluscum contagium removed from my scalp that was causing lymph swelling in my neck - they were testing for cancer. When I asked what causes it - they said it's likely to have a bacterial or viral basis, which they didn't test for in the biopsy!!

I asked if I could be tested for vral/bacterial presences and was told I would be much sicker if I had a bacterial infection, and that I'm unlikely to have EBV - in other words I met a brick wall in trying to establish of I have a low grade infection/viral component to my FM.

What tests are best to get to detect viral/bacterial presences - is it a blood test?

Thanks
    Gill
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unless one has a very high titer to a virus, it can be difficult to detect it. Most of us do test pos. to things like the EBV because we have almost all been exposed to it.

The PCR DNA test can detect stealth chronic viruses. These live deep inside our cells, even in our organs. If you start poking around on the web, you will see a number of articles and lab sites where these tests and others are performed.

The problem is that there are quite a few things which can be infecting us on a chronic basis, including fungi. It's very diffucult to test for everything.

We do know that 60-70 percent of us test pos. for mycoplasmas; that's a huge number and probably under-represetative because the chance for false negs is so high with DNA tests.

Sometimes, the best way to find out is simply to take antibiotics or antiviral meds to see what happens. In my case, the antibiotics made a LOT of my symptoms go away. Then, when I added the antiviral med, Famvir, I went into complete remission. Also, if one has Herxheimer reactions to the meds, it's a good indication of infection.

My new doc knows nothing about chronic viral infections, so he is studying up on them. I have stopped the antiviral med (it was only for my recent surgery) and immediately, I felt very fatigued, but today, I feel well again, so I am hoping my own immune system is taking over. It may well be that we need to "pulse" with these drugs from time to time.

These treatments are in the experimental stage, but I am very excited about them. Jellybelly has done a lot of research on mycoplasmas and we have some other research warriorers on viruses. I do think the Herpes-family viruses are some of the worst for us.

Love, Mikie