Just Returned from the ER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Sep 6, 2005.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Tonight I was feeling tired and sligtly nauseated. When I got up, I had such a fast and hard heart beat, I told my husband I had to go to the ER right away. It was so frightening - I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

By the time I arrived at the hospital, I felt better but decided to get checked out anyway.

I was checked out and am back home now. They said it was palpitations. I am wondering if anyone has had this before.

I will see a cardiologist to get myself checked out further.
  2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I hope the Cardiologist can find out what is causing yours.
    I was dx with MVP back in 85, and put on a Beta Blocker, but that made me so tired, and I swore that I could feel the Blood pumping up my left arm, everyone said, Impossible.
    Not with me , it's not, lol,

I was on them for a few years, then when I moved to Ontario Or, I met a Dr. there who said I didn't need them, took me off of them, and I was scared to death that I would die.
    Nope, felt so much better.

He said that I didn't really need them, as the Palpations I was having sound more like Stress reaction.
    He told me to Cough, to get the Heart Beat Back into it's natural Rhythum.
    I thought he was looney, but it works.

Stress, gives them to me, but not as bad since I am on Vistril which does have an anxiety med in it.
    Works great, and I only have to Cough, once in awhile.

I posted this about 2 years ago, and no one believed me, till someone else cam along and wrote about it too.
    Try it, if it help's Great if not, then, that Cardiologist had better, figure it out, ;o)

BTW, how close were thoes fires to you, that PV had recently? I don't know if I asked or not. sorry.

I have a Classmate, that was pretty close to it, but luckly her home was saved. ;o)
    Take care,
    sharonk
  3. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

and have had for several years now. When it first started I ended up in the ER a couple of times, as I thought I was having a heart attack. I was checked out, blood tests, ECG etc and was told it was a panic attack. My family doctor also sent me to see a Cardiologist who gave me lots of tests and sent me home with a 24 hour moniter strapped to my chest. But everything was OK and it was all down to stress.

I have read that palpatations are common for people with FM, which makes sense to me as mine started when my FM did. Palpatations can also happen when your going through the menopause or peri-menopausal.

But in all cases it's best to see a cardiologist just to make sure.

Take care
    hugs
    brit

4. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm glad you're back from the ER and it wasn't anything life threatening.

As the others have said, many things can cause heart palpitations.

Any time you have heart problems, it's a good idea to get them checked out with a cardiologist.

Be ready for him/her to put you through a few tests!!

Take care,
    Janet
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I felt like a fool in the ER. When anyone age 55 walks up with a potential heart problem, you are hustled right in and hooked up to a cardiac monitor. At the same time, there sits about 30 people in the ER waiting room, looking very sick.

I took it easy today and did not have another episode. I need to schedule a appt with a cardiologist. Many years ago, I had terrible problems with an irregular heartbeat. Alot of PVC's etc.

At the time, for several years I did take a Beta Blocker, and eventually got off them because my problem seemed to go away.

I only have a problem if I am very tired or stressed. This episode was different, it was not a slow irregular beat like I had before - it was very fast and pounding.

I felt all shook up inside at the same time, even clenching my teeth. So weird. After a while (5-10 minutes) it all went away.

Today, I was ok - did not drink any coffee or let myself get upset about anything.

I know I should have called to make appt with my doctor to follow up today, but somehow I just wish it would all go away.

I will call tomorrow and get a referral to a cardiologist.

I am wondering if the small dose of Klonopin could have caused this reaction. It happened after I took it last night - but my dose is so small. I only take 1/4 of a .5 mg tablet in the evening.

Any thoughts about Klonopin - I should call the pharmacist tomorrow (like I always tell everyone else to do).

Thanks again everyone

By the way, as respects to the fire we had - no it was not near me. I live a the top of the hill near the ocean. The fire was in the Rancho PV area in some brush.

6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It feels like the muscles in my chest are strung tight too.I had a lot of problems of that sort when they tried me on the"tripilines" Keep us posted(and hi by the way)Linda
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for the feedback and info on Klonopin. Yes, I saw it can cause palpitations. I sure did have it for the first time and it is very scary.

I stopped the Klonopin and so far no bad reaction - I was taking such a tiny dose, but I guess enough to affect my heart.

I just hope I don't go back to having insomnia - the Klonopin really did help that - however I was left tired the next day. Klonopin is a very powerful drug - but effective.

Again ,thanks for the support...