Just saw Doctor - anyone heard of new Fibro drug Savella?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Sep 16, 2009.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

I have been so depressed so my therapist put me on Rozerem to sleep and Wellabutrin. She wants my Fibro dr. to put me on Savella which is a brand new drug that is out for Fibro and depression according to her. She claims she put a man that was suicidal from Fibro pain in and a pain mgmt dr. saw him and started him on this drug and it has made a world of difference. Any one heard different?

2. TerryS

TerryS Member

Yes. I was put on it the week it came out (back in April). I stayed on it for two months. It did absolutely nothing for me, which was really disappointing. But I've heard some people are getting relief with it.

Good luck!

Terry S
  3. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I've been taking Savella for several months now with good results. It gives me better days overall. Reduces my pain a little and gives me more energy. It's not a cure all, but it does make a difference for me.

If you try it, please let us know how it works for you. Many here are interested in Savella. There have been a few threads about this med. on this board. If you search Savella in the content box you should get some information that will help you.

My best to you.
  4. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I was very interested in trying it... DR wanted to take my pain meds away though... NOPE... hes not in a hurry for giving it to his FM patients til its been out awhile... Fine with me.. I wanted to try it for the pain relief as well as weight loss.. I have put back on 25 pounds UGH
    hopefully a few days at curves taking it slow, I will start building a little more muscle and lose a few pounds GOTTA take it slow... Im sore from orientation!! LOL
  5. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Iv'e been on Savelle for three months now and I truly can't see any significant results. One word of caution though. If your Dr. has you on Lyrica now and wants to put you on Savella., beg him to let you keep taking Lyrica till you are built up to your Savella dose. Mine cold turkey'd me off Lyrica onto the lower dose Savella, I was literally out of commission for a month. I thought I would die the pain and sick was just that bad.

Also, they say it works like an antidepressant, please note the word LIKE. I mistakingly thought that perhaps I could cut my Effexor XR dose in half since I didn't want to over do it on the Antidepress. stuff. That was my second to worst choice yet. You want to talk Suicidal? Stay the course if you are on an antidepressant. It may supposed to work LIKE one but it isn't one.

Dont' let them tell you it will make a difference in your weight either. It won't. Although be aware that it doesn't act like Lyrica in the sense that Lyrica dose make you gain weight. I was on Lyrica for a year before I went to Savella. I've had Fibro/CF for nine years now.
  6. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I noticed that you had experience with taking both Lyrica and Savelle. Did the Lyrica help with the pain or energy at all? It doesn't make me hungry, just slower i guess. and I have gained some weight.

What difference have you seeen as far as appetite goes? Lyrica did a great job for me at first but has lost some of its effectiveness. I'm not sure if that's because I have more issues or have built up a tolerance. so to speak.

Any info from anyone who has taken it would be appreciated by me also since I am considering switching.
  7. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

Savella, but the side effects were horrible..Profuse sweating, headache, nausea, then started w/numbness/tingling along the sides of my hands & forearms. I was afraid to continue it, as I was afraid of heart attack or stroke. The sweating was unbearable. Altho' I must say, in the week I took it, I could bend over easier & had less pain.

I know some of the people here, stuck it out w/the sweating, etc. & so far as I know are having good results w/it. Takes a few weeks to get thru the side effects. But when the the numbness/tingling started, I quit....

My doc said I did the right thing in stopping. So keep in mind the side effects, & if you are willing to deal w/all of that...And I guess the price of the drug stopped some from taking it.

Good luck w/whatever you choose to do..
  8. Jill

Jill New Member

I was in the study for this drug. It is wonderful! Hope it helps you as it has helped me!
  9. Jill did you use the packet building up each day and has it helped your fibro pain, energy or ho did it help? How long have you been on it? Any side effects like nausea and terrible sweating/hot flashes? I am glad it is helping someone.