Just saw this on CBS news

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

A small town druggist in Ashby, Minnesota has declared war on the drug companies. He is filling prescriptions at just above his cost. The interviewer asked him about a bottle that he was filling......"How much do you pay for this? He said $l5. and how much does the drug company recommend that you charge??????? $l85.00

That is so outragious it's beyond obscene. He said that he can't in all fairness charge what he is supposed to and he's hoping that the volume will make up for what he is losing. Apparently he is getting a lot of calls from out of state people.

Personally, I am going to send a letter to him thanking him for what he is doing for people. Apparently this is just a very small town and only one drug store so it shouldn't be hard to get a letter to him.

I found this name and phone number.....I hope this is the one they talked about.

Borg Drug
    Ashby, MN 56309
    (218) 747-2988
    phonephone

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2005]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Something just does not sound right here .... or my mind is so foggy that I am not figuring it out correctly!!!

Regarding the: ..."How much do you pay for this? He said $l5. and how much does the drug company recommend that you charge??????? $l85.00. He said that he can't in all fairness charge what he is supposed to and he's hoping that the volume will make up for what he is losing.

If this pharmacist is paying ONLY $15.00 TO THE DRUG COMPANY FOR THE DRUG, and it is recommended that he charge $185.00 for it, then THE PHARMACY is the person/company making all the profit, NOT the drug company!!!!! So this is not a "war" on the drug companies, he is just cutting out HIS OWN PROFITS!! Rather dumb of him, huh?

I would figure that this senerio is backwards ..... the drug charges the pharmacy $185 and the pharmacy's cut of it is only $15.

The cost of new drugs is so high because that money is what funds the research for better and improved drugs, as well as new drugs for the future. Without research, the drugs that may help us in the future may never be developed.

Of course, I am sure that is a lot of fat in those research funds that could be trimmed!!! LOL

Janet

3. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Jim Witt is the name they give for that pharmacist...

What a good guy. I hope all the good he does comes right back to him!

Thanks for posting this, Sunflowergirl. Always great to hear a happy story like this one!
  4. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Thanks for the information, sunflowergirl!

The owner (Jim Witt) lists the pharmacy's snail-mail address as:

BORG DRUG
    PO Box 170
    102 West Main
    Ashby, MN 56309

- in case anyone wants to send him a letter. I believe there also is a web-site connected with this pharmacy but don't know the URL.

Janice
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I should have look here first, lol, lol, I spent an hour, reading the Local CBS news station's website. Butt I also
    Found some very interesting articles there.
    SO it was time well spent, ya know, :eek:]

Thanks again, your a Sweeheart for posting this.
    Hugs,
    sharonk
  6. acesk

acesk New Member

Pharmacies make the most money on generics - these pills cost less and pharmacies get a better profit on generics then brand names. I bet it is generics that they are talking about.

Sue in Florida
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I believe it was generics he was referring to, and he did say he paid 15 and the drug company suggested 185.

And yes, he is taking away his own profit, but I admire him for doing it. He did say he is hoping the volume will help.
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

drug companies having enough money to
    do research. They make HUGE profits. And with the way drugs are being put on the "fast track" to get them out and with little to no consequences for things that hurt people, they're doing just fine. I'm more concerned about the Vioxx's, Celbrex's and so many that have done irreversible and often deadly damage to people. My doctor will prescribe the newer things if you insist on trying them but his recommendation is to wait out that 2 to 5 year window when all the bad things are finally reported. Look how long it takes them to admit something is killing people before it's taken off the market. And often
    kept under wraps for a long time AFTER they KNOW it.

If they charge the pharmacy $15 it probably costs THEM $1 or maybe even $5 and they're making several times profit at that.
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I checked his list. If I had to pay for my meds, I would save 90% on the one I looked up. When I lose my medicaid, I'm buying from him!