Just spent a few days in the hospital

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UnicornK, May 31, 2006.

1. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

We're still not sure exactly what happened. It was about 11:30 Monday night. Hubby was almost asleep. Suddenly I had to use the little girls' room...NOW!!!

Well, I got up and hurried towards the bathroom. I got vertigo really badly. (Plus, I wasn't making it to the john in time either!) Well, the vertigo got so bad I actually passed out. Cold. On the floor.

I yelled for hubby to get the bp cuff. (We still think it's strange that I didn't ask for my glucometer since I'm diabetic. We chalk that up to God telling me what I needed.) Anyway, my bp was 75/47!

Rushed to the ER. They couldn't get a bp in one arm, and the other arm only registered 50.

They rushed me in the back and put 18 guage caths in EACH arm. (Those are about the biggest caths a person can get! OUCH!!!) They put one in each arm in case they needed to rescussitate me. Very scary!

They pumped fluid into me until about 5:30 this (Wednesday) afternoon. They did a sonogram on my heart (yes, I have one! LOL) and on my carotids. Everything was fine.

They did an MRI and a brain scan (Yes, I have one of those too! LOL) Both came back with no problems.

So the doc decided that it's a combination of meds that I am taking. Mind you, the newest prescription is still over two months old!

Then he said it was "defecation syncope". Where you have diarrhea so bad you faint. Yeah, right! So why did it take so long for my bp to come back up? No answer.

So...I am home, back to square one, and calling my doctors tomorrow. The nurses said I could have easily have died because my bp was so low. I almost didn't have a pulse. That's why they couldn't get the bp on the first arm in triage.

So, please, say a quick prayer for me. It is scary thinking that it could happen again.

God Bless.
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

WOW!!!! I have never heard of "defecation syncope" before! You poor thing! How was your husband through all of this? Must have scared the heck out of him! I am glad to hear that your heart and brain are fine.

I will keep you in my prayers!!

Dawn
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I will include you in my prayers. Sure hope that you find out what the heck is going on. This is scary!!! Bet it scared your husband half to death. Take care and let us know how you are doing or if you find out what is going on.

Kriket
  4. cakes38

cakes38 New Member

Bless your heart and all the rest of you too! You will be in my prayers tonite.
    Get lots of rest and lots of fluids and take good care of YOU.

Hugs
    Cakes
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so sorry you've been so ill....

Your story reminds me of the time I had Toxic Shock Syndrome...do you wear tampons???? Were you wearing one that night?

I hope the questions weren't too personal, but the seriousness of the matter was more my concern.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I will pray you find out what combo of meds could have caused this .
  7. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I am feeling better. Still a little shaky, tired...I guess as usual! LOL

No worries about Toxic Shock. I can't wear tampons. They give me a horrible infection.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow (Friday) and hopefully he will be able to tell me something.

I've never heard of 'defecation syncope' either. I got the feeling that this doc was just trying to get rid of me. He couldn't/wouldn't answer my questions and/or gave me the royal run-around. At least that's the way it felt. "Tell her anything so I can get onto my next payme...uh, patient."

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I really do appreciate them.

God Bless.
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I get curious, I have to look at dangerously low BP.

I had incidents of bad vertigo upon waking (causing vomiting) because of pressure in my spine. It was almost like a stroke.

Do you have ulcers? I'm thinking about internal bleeding, but it seems that we have this nerological disturbance where the wrong messages are sent to our organs. This might have been a situation like that.

"defecation syncope", if the situation wasn't so serious that is sort of a funny sounding thing. I do believe it exsist, my dear sister have her potty issues. The thing is you felt ill when you walked to the bathroom, before the "defecation", so it couldn't possibly be that?

Nah, you're right, your blood pressure was funny, and it stayed that way far longer than a "defecation syncope" would cause.

Good heavens, I'll do a google on LOW BP.

I hope you're better and that this will never happen again.

[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  9. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am sorry this happened to you but glad that you are better now. Im sure that was very disturbing for you. I have experrienced 2 situations that scared me very bad, one of them landing me in the hospital from Thrus. through Saturday. Was taken to the hospital from Bi-lo and knew nothing until Saturday. It was a very frightening experience when I came out of it and was told what had happened.

I am not familiar with what happened to you but would also like to know what meds caused it.

Take care and God Bless you,

BlueSky555
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

I am so glad you are ok...well, as ok as can be expected considering what happened!

Had you had bad diarrhea prior to the waking and having to go right NOW?

So many of us have abnormal autonomic responses...instead of speeding up, our hearts can slow down, causing just what happened to you.

Insist on a tilt table test, and get a copy of those hospital records, ok?

Take very good care of you, eat some extra salty things for awhile and get up in "stages" from bed...sit first, then slowly walk, hanging on to things, and "march" your legs if you can, to pump blood to your heart and head better.

Keep us posted, we really care about you...

findmind
  11. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am so sorry! That is really scary. And even more so that you don't know what caused it. I am saying a prayer for you right now, that the Lord will bring to light whatever information you and your doctors need to know.

Julie
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Last year I had vertigo about 4 different times and it would last a couple days each time.

I ended up in the emergency room everytime.Finely I had an apt.for ENT to check me out.

The Doctor told me that my vertigo was caused by a virus and it would keep comeing back.It would get worse before it got better.

Its very scary.I hope you are doing better.But be preparied it could come back.mine were a few weeks apart.

Knock on wood they finely went away.I hope yours do to.
  13. mimilove

mimilove New Member

God bless You Unicornk; you are in my prayers and thoughts.

Bless your soul. At least whoever had the good sense to see that yu needed immediate attention and looked after.

I heard a nurse at Urgent care at my network, say to this very, very ill lady one day "Oh, we almost, never, never admit, we'll send you to ER but we'll probably won't admit you"!

Mind you she is a very, very good nurse, out of her control. This lady had been to ER, the night before, ended up at Urgent care the next day and they were calling for ambulance to take her to hospital, somehow when hospital calls to get authorization for admittance, they always turn them down....unless it's for surgery I guess.

You are in my thoughts. I know now why I have not been admitted because by God I should have been many a time.
  14. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Oh Sweetie!

So sorry - that must have been so scary. Low blood pressure can be caused by many things but to understand blood pressure - the simplest analogy that they taught us in EMT school is that you have a "Pump" - your heart, "Pipes" - your veins and arteries and a "Reservoir" - fluid volume in your body - a problem or interruption with any one of these can cause problems with blood pressure.

Kidneys also play a role because they are the main "conductors" running the fluid volumes in our body.

BP will plummet if you are dehydrated. Excessive urination with untreated diabetes can dehydrate.

If you get up too quickly from a prone position, your body's "Pipes" may not have had time to compensate from lying down relaxed vessels (less work to pump) to more constricted vessels that will pump fluid up from the lower body against gravity. Then the heart says "Uh Oh, I better go faster here" - and BAM not enough oxygen to the brain because nothing is working in sync - and you can go down like a load of bricks. It's called "Neurocardiogenic Syncope"

I'm a little all over the place here, but I just wanted to throw out some ideas - "defecation syncope" wasn't something we studied in EMT school, I can tell you that much.

I'm glad you're okay for now and I hope you feel better.
    Lots of fluids.
    A tilt-table test may be in your immediate future.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

[ advertisement ]