JUST SPIT - NEW way to detect breast cancer? sure hope so

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Feb 6, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I get a thermogram rather than a mammogram, but this is really interesting and promising...

And don't forget men get breast cancer too...

Breast Cancer Related Proteins Are Present in Saliva and Are Modulated Secondary to Ductal Carcinoma In Situ of the Breast

Authors: Charles F. Streckfus; Otilia Mayorga-Wark; Daniel Arreola; Cynthia Edwards; Lenora Bigler; William P. Dubinsky
    DOI: 10.1080/07357900701783883
    First Published on: 10 January 2008

What Your Spit Can Tell You About Breast Cancer
    (excerpts from today's douglass report.)

Scientists have discovered a new way of testing for breast cancer that could make the mammogram a thing of the past—and it's about time. The test could potentially be far more accurate than the old-school mammograms—not to mention much safer...

U.S. scientists are developing a breast cancer screening test that checks a woman's saliva for evidence of the disease. They say they've identified 49 proteins in saliva that can actually distinguish healthy women from those with benign breast tumors and those with malignant breast tumors.

According to Charles Streckfus, a professor at the University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston, "Breast cancer triggers a change in the type and amount of proteins in the secretions from the salivary glands."

And sure enough, when the researchers tested a group of 30 women – 10 healthy, 10 with benign tumors, and 10 with malignant tumors – the protein patterns were found to be different in all three groups.

If this is true, it could finally put an end to what I've considered the most dangerous method of breast cancer screening: the mammogram... it's long been my belief that these tests have been doing more harm than good.

The reason? What I call "compression syndrome."

Very simply, severe compression of the breast (such as the kind that occurs during a mammogram) can lead to microscopic tissue ruptures – even in the tissue of the tumor. This tear can actually create a "leak" in the tumor, which allows the malignancy to spread and cause an acceleration of the cancer—and an earlier death.

Every doctor knows that breast lumps should be handled with a great degree of care, because handling them roughly could cause such a rupture. It's something that's drilled into your head in med school (or at least it was back in my day).

Of course, the researchers say that more tests need to be done before a saliva screening test based on these findings can become common and widely available. Streckfus said they would seek the government's approval for the saliva test in the next five years.

Help me get the word around about this saliva screening. Maybe we can help enough political juice to get the test approved sooner rather than later.

So mad about mammograms and the FDA that I could spit,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

Breast Cancer Related Proteins Are Present in Saliva and Are Modulated Secondary to Ductal Carcinoma In Situ of the Breast
    Authors: Charles F. Streckfus; Otilia Mayorga-Wark; Daniel Arreola; Cynthia Edwards; Lenora Bigler; William P. Dubinsky
    DOI: 10.1080/07357900701783883
    First Published on: 10 January 2008
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2008]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

They detect 'hot spots'... it's very simple, you stand with your top naked in a dark room, and a nurse points a thermal camera at you and takes pictures... the pics/images look like weather diagrams of temps! Inflammation can show early tumors... way before mammograms.

Here's a website: http://www.breastthermography.com/

3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Does insurance usually pay for the thermogram, full or partial? I was in pain for 3 days after my last mammogram and I was due for another in Sept. I have not scheduled it yet, but plan on doing so. Can I request a thermogram instead or does it depend on your insurance?

And I am hoping that they approve the "spit test" as soon as possible. That would be awesome.

Thanks, Kim :)
  4. jole

jole Member

I too have been against mammograms for the reasons mentioned in the article. There are some forms of cancer that spread very quickly with both compression and surgery, causing death within weeks. This is the reason for a lot of the blood tests, etc. before surgery.

I have heard of two cases of surgery (neither breast surgeries) that should not have been done under any circumstances due to the type of cancer, and the patients both died much earlier than necessary. One would have been treatable with just chemo.

Besides that, it's just soooo much less painful to spit! Thanks for the post...
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Sorry, I don't know how insurance companies view it, as I don't have any insurance beyond hospitalization. I do know my gynecologist has been using it now for at least 4 years, so it's not brand new. I'm also thinking it is cheaper probably...

Let us know what your insurance company says? It would be interesting I'm sure to many.

best,
    Victoria

6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I am going to call the imaging office where I have it done, and my dr., to see if I have that option. Kim :)
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thank you for sharing this info, Victoria!

It sounds really good!

I get thermograms, myself. I had one mammogram and HATED it. My breasts deserve better than to be treated that way.

Forebearance