Just started Elavil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommy22, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mommy22

mommy22 New Member

Anyone care to share experiences they have had on it? I have looked it up, but i find this board more help than the med sites. So far, i only notice extremem fatigue after i take it. Not really an unwelcome side effect since i usually don't sleep much. Thanks for any info, Sonya
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I tried Elavil several years ago and it knocked me out. Maybe it was too strong. I recently started taking a little Klonopin early in the evening, then Ambien at bedtime.

It seems to help my sleep. Have you tried other sleep meds? If you have extreme fatigue the next day, maybe another med would not cause that.

I think it is all "trial and error" when looking for the right meds.
  3. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

I take 2 25m of Elavil each day. I cut it down to 1 a day but found I was in worse pain.

It does make you gain weight but all antidepressants seem to do so. My weight has stayed the same now for eight years.

It also helps with Restless Legs and Insomnia.

I would be a lot worse without it and I tried going off it several times but went back on it again. I think its more important to have relief from pain and so what if you put up some weight.

Mary
  4. Jodi_B

Jodi_B New Member

If your Elavil is to be taken once a day, take it about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before bedtime! It's sole purpose with FMS (Fibromyalgia Syndrome) is to moderate our brain chemistry (serotonin uptake) with the end result being more restful sleep.

About 6 years ago I asked my GP if Wellbutrin would work for the FMS...if so, I wanted to try it to help quit smoking (yes, I know, nicotine is a no-no with FMS!). He said "Probably" would work. WRONG! Two weeks after stopping the Elavil I had as much pain and weakness as before I was diagnosed! Now I won't go without it!

Rxlist.com is a great resource for prescription drug information (Look for patient information).

One downside with Elavil is weight gain. But it's a trade off -- and I'd rather pack the extra pounds than deal with the pain and fatigue.

Good luck and God bless.
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

I believe that Elavil is a safe older drug

I took it for a while and it DID help with sleep and gave me a little more energy throught the day, however the weight gain was awful for me.

I am taking Cymbalta now, but I think the Elavil helped me more
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have been taking 25mg of Elavil at night for a year and a half. It alone does not make me sleepy any longer, and has not for quite awhile. Because of the weight gain issue, I chose to add other things to help with sleep rather than go up on the dose.

I take 3mg of Melatonin and .5mg of Klonopin with Elavil about an hour before bed.

Sonya
  7. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

and librium together. 100 mg. of elavil, 40 of librium. I take these a few hours before bedtime and usually sleep fairly well.

When I first went on this- I LOST about 15 lbs. I'm slowly gaining it back, but don't think it's the drug, it's the nuts my doc told me to eat every day! I can't stop once I start!!
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

but totally dislike the weight gain that comes with it. I am on 10 mgs now, and refuse to increase dosage. I will be off of it in a couple of days, and when my order I place with prohealth arrives, I will start taking FM Relief. I am hoping that will help with the pain and achyness.

Are you taking it at bedtime?
  9. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

I started taking Elivil about 15 years ago. Small dose at first, 10mg, that has gradually increased over the years. Now take 50 to 100 mgs every night. Depends what my stressors in life are.

It takes a few weeks befor you actually are helped by it, sleeping better ect.

Always take it at night and hour or so before going to bed.

The down side is it makes you crave sweets, so weight gain is a side effect. But like others I trade the weight gain for the help with FM.

rrsbaby
  10. danaroo

danaroo New Member

I started it several months ago. I take 30mg at night. And i find it made me sleepy but no other side effects. After about 2 months it kicked in i think because my pain got better. The baseline daily pain is better than before and my flares seem to not last as long. So i like it!! good lluck
  11. jill5050

jill5050 New Member

I've taken Elavil for 1 1/2 years. It has helped be a great deal. The fatigue in the morning gets better after a few weeks. My pain level is very low, and I work fulltime. I hope you get as much relief as I have. I tried to take a lower dose, and felt worse after a few weeks. I went back to 30 mgs. every night at 7:30pm.

I have to watch what I eat more than normal. I went on WW points system and lost 15 pounds. It is possible to keep your weight stable, just don't snack a lot, stay away from refined sugar. I feel better when I eat well anyway.
    Blessings,
    Carlie
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I started on 25mg and the first night I was knocked out and felt like I had a hangover all the next day. I called the docs office that day because I knew I could not function like that every day.

They told me to cut it in half for a week then go to the full dose. That worked well, but it was not long before the full dose alone stopped working.

I had read before taking it about the weight gain, so I did not want to go up on the dose. So I added Valerian sometimes and sometimes Melatonin. Valerian does not mix with Xanax, which I have for anxiety, so I stopped taking that.

The pharmacist is the one who told me not to mix those 2, but she did say that Valerian is out of your system in 12 hours, so I could probably take it at night with no risk since I take my night meds at 8 PM and have never taken Xanax before then.

Anyway, now I take 25mg of Elavil, .5mg of Klonopin (for light sensitivity but it makes me sleepy too) and 3mg of Melatonin.

They kick in within an hour usually and I am out like a light. Pain in my hips has been waking me up lately though. I have my struggles with this and finding a new mattress topper in another thread.

Sonya R
  13. pywacket

pywacket New Member

i took it for 4 years gained 90 lbs and lost alot of hair. got off it and lost the weight and getting hair back, so be careful
    lisa
  14. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

did you become more hungry? Did it increase your appetite? Or mess with your metabolism?
  15. Flaming

Flaming New Member

The one drug I cannot take. I think I took it two nights. I woke up with my heart racing. Also have been told it can cause dental problems - loss of teeth.
  16. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi there .. I'm sure you guys know that Elavil is amitriptyline .. but for those who didn't know, that is the connection .. I have been on it for almost 4 years .. gained a little weight .. but then again I gained some while we were living in the Netherlands .. so I can't blame it all on the medication .. one thing I did find .. when we went grocery shopping I wanted to put a lot of sweet goodies in the cart .. and .. on some occassions .. ripped into to it before we even got home .. now that is a little scary ! haha
    BUT ... I am one of the lucky ones where this drug works wonders for me with a large assorted list of symptoms .. the only problem I have now is the sleep issue .. next week I see the doctor to try and work out another medication for that issue ..
    Everyone reacts differently to meds ..so it is an ongoing experiment to see what fits you the best .. and no doubt it will change as the years go by .. good luck !
    P.S. It does need time to build up in your system .. so try to be patient !
    [This Message was Edited on 09/22/2005]
  17. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I took amitryptiline for years for sleep and it got where it did not work anymore. Now I take 2 trazadone and if I dont hit the bed within 30 min my speech is slurred,dizzy and my husband laughs at me. A few times he has literally6 had to put me to bed. HE said I was standing in the doorway and looked like a ping pong ball bouncing back and forth. Of course I remember nothing about it. uh, one bad side to this drug is if you take it and go to bed and decide to have a little marital activity you dont remember it the next morning. SOmetimes that doesnt sit too well with the hubby. LOL
  18. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I took amitryptiline for years for sleep and it got where it did not work anymore. Now I take 2 trazadone and if I dont hit the bed within 30 min my speech is slurred,dizzy and my husband laughs at me. A few times he has literally6 had to put me to bed. HE said I was standing in the doorway and looked like a ping pong ball bouncing back and forth. Of course I remember nothing about it. uh, one bad side to this drug is if you take it and go to bed and decide to have a little marital activity you dont remember it the next morning. SOmetimes that doesnt sit too well with the hubby. LOL
  19. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I have been taking 12 mg a night for a long time...I told the doc I need 25 mg (in case it changes) and take half a pill. It has really helped me, but 25 mg is too much. I ONLY take it at night:) I also have not had any weight gain.
  20. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

I was on Elavil for 4 1/2 years. Started with 50mg went to 100mg then to 150mg befor I quit taking it. It seemed to help with the pain but had to keep increasing dosage to get results. I gained over 50lbs, had no sex drive at all, and stayed thirsty all the time. I actually decreased the amount that I ate(if I hadn't I would have gained 100 lbs). I had to quit with it because I started to have panic attacks. I would go to sleep for about an hour and wake up - when I tried to close my eyes to go back to sleep it felt like someone was smothering me with a pillow or something. I would have to get out of bed and sit up for 2 or 3 hrs before I could go back to bed and go to sleep.