Just started Klonopin..so when does it begin to work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deelite127, Oct 18, 2005.

1. deelite127

deelite127 New Member

For the past year i have been taking Elavil to sleep at night. Problem is, the elavil puts me to sleep, but i never stay asleep. I usually wake up every hour, so by morning I never feel like i got a good nights sleep.

So yesterday i saw my PCP & explained about not sleeping. I asked him about Klonopin. Told how so many FMS sufferers seem to benefit from it. He said lets give it a try. He put me on 1mg at bedtime.

So i took it at 7pm & at 12:30 i was still wide awake. I had to take a couple of muscle relaxers before i could finally fall asleep.

has this happened to anyone else? Do i need to give it a few days? Just wondering do i give up & go back to the elavil or stick it out some more?

Dee
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

work for me.

It had the reverse affect and kept me wide awake at night.

This happens to some of us, meds have the opposite effect.

If you try it another couple of nights and it keeps you wide awake then this is what must be happening to you too.

love
    Rosie
  3. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Did'nt work for me either. Kept me in a light sleep with vivid dreams.
  4. deelite127

deelite127 New Member

and if is still not working i'll give my Dr a call.

Dee
  5. FranWi

FranWi New Member

I try to take 1/2 a pill on the Klonopin, but I take something like Melatonin to actually fall asleep. Klonopin may make you sleepy, but it's more of an anti-anxiety drug, to keep you from falling into the micro-awakening cycles that pull you out of restorative sleep throughout the night. So if you're having a time actually FALLING asleep try picking up something like melatonin or asking your doctor about something that will knock you out.

:)

Fran
  6. deelite127

deelite127 New Member

all welcome

Dee
  7. lilione

lilione New Member

Are you still taking the elavil, because if not after a few weeks you will get a withdrawal from it, that keeps you awake. The combo of both drugs has been a miracle for me. I went 9 years on 2-3 hrs. sleep. Klonopin alone did not keep me asleep as the two. Good Luck, Lili
  8. ermiller

ermiller New Member

My doctor also put me on Klonopin, however it did not work. I fell asleep ok, but woke up in the middle of the night. Once I was awake, I would never really go back to sleep. Ambien seems to work the best for me. Although, I get that groggy feeling in the morning sometimes (not fun).

Erin
  9. deelite127

deelite127 New Member

when i started the Klonopin yesterday. Maybe i should speak to my PCP about continuing both. I should also add i have a very high tolerance to meds. I can take medicine & feel fine but the same meds would knock hubby, who is double my size on his backside...lol

Dee
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I used to take L-Tryptophan, and it didn't work for me, just made me nauseaus! My doc told me to eat more turkey, and take it with food, but didn't say anything about the B-6. Wonder if thats why it didn't work? I wouldn't be able to take it now, it is frightfully exspensive and we no longer have personal health insurance.
    Raz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2005]
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I thought they stopped selling the L-Triptophan years ago. I remember when I was in my 20s (I'm 48 now) I use to take it to help me sleep, and then it was taken off the market.

Right now, I take 100mg of Elavil and 1/2 to 1mg of Klonopin. I'm not sure if the Melatonin kept me awake or not, when I took it I was VERY stressed.

Tigger