Just started reading Devin Starlanyl's Survival Manual

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovethesun, Oct 10, 2005.

1. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I've been wanting to get it but didn't have the money.I finally got it at at Barnes and nobles used books.What I've read so far is really great!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]
  2. fahan

fahan New Member

I was curious as to the price range if you don't mind.

Also if there are any menu's or something on that line? fahan
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

SURVIVAL manual for CFS, FM?

Let us know what you think?
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I could have gotten one cheaper but had tha money so went for this one.Great shape.I got it yesterday and I'm half through it.Would have read further If I could stay awake longer today.That's why I signed off right after I posted -too tired..The relation to pain and trp's are really interesting!Linda
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...you'll love her "Fibromyalgia Advocate" which has some of the info in the Survival Manual, but goes beyond with lots of advice on how we live with FM day-to-day....how to cope with bosses, co-workers, friends, family, legal issues....plus sections on how to deal with every other health professional we see, such as dentists, chiropractors, OB/GYNs, Emergency Rm doctors, Psychiatrists....these sections are called "What your (insert each type of doctor) needs to know about FM", meaning how each doctor or healthcare worker needs to know that FM patients are different from their average patient who walks thru the door, and how best to practice their type of medicine with an FM patient's special needs & considerations. I xeroxed the "Dentist" section for my own dentist, and he was thrilled to get it, as he treated several FM patients and wanted to be sensitive to their needs.

Excellent books, both of them, they are my bibles, especially the "Advocate". Amazon often bundles these two books together for a special price.

It helps to know that Dr. Starlanyl has coped with FM for years and truly KNOWS our pain...

Glad you got the book!!!

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'll try to get that one too!Linda
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

Devin Starlanyl Rocks!

That woman has become my personal goddess. I will buy all of her books, but for the time being, the library and the 8 million post its i attach to pages for bits for my family to read are my friend.

Haven't read survival manual yet, but am almost done with The Fibromyalgia Advocate...everything about what we need to find right docs, right meds, amazing info about fm/mps/cfids, plus info on ssd, etc and tons of helpful social services. This one may just save my life!

Hugs,
    Rachel
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

These are such great reference books-it seems like a small thing....but, I didn't know that you shouldn't raise your head while turning over.It's already helping a little-just one more step in the right direction!Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]
  9. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

you can also print lots of stuff from her website. Just put fibromyalgia advocate in your search engine. I also printed out "what you pcp needs to know", what your PT (or chiro) needs to know and what your pharmacist needs to know.

Lots of useful information
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I've already got my disability but I'm sure they have plenty of things that I need to know in there.