Just started taking coenzymeQ10 about 5 minutes ago.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Sep 17, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'm really getting into these supplements now!!! The pamphlets say that it could take at least 4-12 weeks to help my BP and Cholesterol and kidneys.
    Anyone got any sage advice about this????
    Love to all,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'm really getting into these supplements now!!! The pamphlets say that it could take at least 4-12 weeks to help my BP and Cholesterol and kidneys.
    Anyone got any sage advice about this????
    Love to all,
    Kady
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've studied Naturopathic medicine with an emphasis on Nutritional medicine.
    COQ10 is necessary for the production of energy in your cells, and is a vital nutrient for the strength of your heart. After age 30 it starts to decline. Some cases of cardiomyopathy have been completely reversed by large doses of COQ10, resulting in patients being removed from the heart transplant list.
    I have never heard of it lowering cholesterol or blood pressure. I have taken it for years and it has not lowered either of mine, both of which are too high.
    The primary purpose for FMS patients to take it, other than the increase in energy that everyone can use after age 30, is to minimize symptoms from MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse). Since 75% of FMSers have an MVP, it is a valuable supplement for most of us.
    The minimum effective dose is 60 mgs. daily. It doesn't matter what time of day you take it. I have seen recommendations of 100-300 mgs. a day for treatment of FMS. Treatment of heart failure uses 300 mgs. daily. It is pretty expensive, so I take the 60 mg. dose.
    It is fat soluble, so you must take it with a small amt. of a food that has fat in it in order for it to be absorbed.
    COQ10 is delicate, and the best quality is found in dark colored gelatin capsules, which protect it from light. The actual substance inside should be dark yellow-orange. Some cheaper brands are grayish and not very potent. I don't think I'm allowed to say what brand I use here.
    I applaud your decision to try natural approaches to improving your health,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

100 mg. twice a day in the morning and at bedtime....my pharmacist really likes this stuff and he knows my history and all the meds. I've taken. He gave me literature on it. It says that the usual dosage is 50 to 150 mg per day. Most studies use a dosage of 100 mg. a day, but up to 300 mg. a day may be needed in cases of severe heart disease. Perhaps a more accurate dosage recommendation is based on weight. Some of the studies used a dosage of 2 mg. of CoQ10 for each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. This works out right for me!
    Love,
    Kady
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

when I told my doc this she said to stay off it for 2 weeks & sent me for a blood test to check my COQ10 level so I don't take more than I need as it is not dangerous just expensive.