Just started taking SAMe, anyone have good results?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by legalwoman, Jul 12, 2005.

1. legalwoman

legalwoman New Member

I just started taking SAMe a couple of days ago. I am taking 400 mgs in the morning on an empty stomach. I am noticing a decrease in my pain but the effect wears off later in the day. I was thinking maybe I should increase the dose and take another 400 mg in the evening.

Who has had good results from this and what is the best dosage? Several websites I have visited have suggested the best dose is 800 mg a day.

Would like some imput on this.

Marilyn
  2. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

wasn't good at all..I was on it for about 2mos., then bam, hit me in the Abdomen, like someone was throwing bricks at me...I just wanted to caution you in taking this, if you have any "gut" issues..This is NOT the med to take..The liturature states it MAY cause GI probs..Wellllll, it did..

Many people do take it w/good results...I was taking 400mg. in the mornings also..And was starting to feel some relief when all this happened..If you don't have issues in the "gut" area, it may work for you...

Hope you find some relief;
    fifth
  3. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

SAME did nothing for my pain levels. Also, it's expensive, and at high doses (800mg) gave me major bathroom problems...
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2005]
  4. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I've been taking it for over 2 years. I didn't notice any difference until I started taking 800 mg/day. I have a very sensitive digestive system but it never gave me any problems. Several times I've tried going off of it because it's so expensive but within a few days, I start feeling achey and depressed again. I hope I never have to live without it; it's been a God-send for me.

I know everyone is different so it might be good to try the 800 mg for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. It's not instantaneous, so give it at least a couple of weeks. Good luck, I hope it helps. :)
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

do you take it in tandem w/ other supps or a.d.'s, or does is work as an a.d./painreducer on its own?

I've ran into lots of tips for FM for using Sam-e w/ St. John's Wort and Magnesium maleate as a combo that is strongest used together. I love St. John's, it has mild a.d. properties for me, helps w/ sleep, but mostly w/ periods, cramps and PMS symptoms.

How expensive is Sam-e to take at your dose?

Jeanne
  6. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I've only been taking the Sam-e and I take magnesium. I didn't know that it would be possibly more effective if taken with St. John's wort. I have read that after taking it in the larger doses, most people can reduce the amount they take and it will still be effective.

Maybe if I try it with St. Johns wort, I can take a smaller dose. That would be great. It usually costs me about $35 -$40 a month if I can get it on sale so I would love to be able to reduce the amt I take and save a little money, that is, if St. John's wort isn't too expensive?
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I bought a 450 mg bottle Organika 180 caps for around $20. One pill/night was my dose for mths to get the results I listed above, I just raised it to 600 mgs. I'm guessing I spend less than $3 a mth for it alone. The recommended therapeutic dose is 900 mgs.

It is usually bought in 300 mg caps, I got a Jameison bottle of 90 300 mgs caps for $12. That's actually pricey and Jameison isn't a preferred brand for me at all (it was a s.o. mistake). If you want to really cheap out, some swear by using the bulk herb, you know, you scoop your own baggy. They don't mind adjusting their dose when they get a different batch, as it wouldn't have the standardized (so called) active ingredients in them. We know herbs work synergistically anyway and the whole plant is usually best.

I'd certainly try it St. John's is much cheaper, but would have different benefits (or not). We are all different, but many women are amazed at the PMS/period benefits.

Jeanne
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I was awful - even mad with myself. I stopped and restarted just to make sure, but Sam-E is not for me.

abbylee
  9. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Marilyn,
    I started sam e 5 or more yrs ago and it really helps. due to the cost I've never taken more than 600mg, but would like to try more. I stopped when I went on Cymbalta but will go back on, I think. You can go on naturemade.com and turn in your points and get a $7.00 coupon after 500pts. which helps. Let us know how you do. every time I go off I feel worse.

blessings,
    Carolyn In Illinois
  10. millennia

millennia New Member

Just a little reminder about St. John's wort, they say that it can interfere with birth control pills, so if you are on the pill, you are not supposed to take it.

Now on to Sam-e. It has worked wonders for me, I also take 800 mg. If you buy it at the drugstore it is definitely cost prohibitive. But if you buy it from the vitacost website, they have really great prices. $18 for the 400mg box that it costs $44 at the drugstore to buy.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]