Just Told I Have FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DreamPoet, Jul 26, 2006.

1. DreamPoet

DreamPoet New Member

I was just told I have FM. I had a friend a few years ago who had it, but I never felt comfortable enough with her to ask her what it was. When my doctor suggested he thought that was what was wrong with me (after years of hearing other doctors say it was all in my head), I did some research online. It explained sooooo much! I had almost all of the symptoms, and made me realize I wasn't totally insane.

Anyway... Some of the sites I was reading said that FM doesn't get worse over time. Is that true? My symptoms seem to have gotten worse over the years...that's why I finally talked to this doctor about them. I know they say it doesn't deteriorate the joints, muscles, and such, but do the symtoms get worse at times over the years?
  2. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Sorry That you have FMS, but glad you finally know what's wrong with you. I've had FM for about 25 years, and CFS for 7 1/2 years. Yes, my FM is much worse than it was in the beginning. I think when they say it isn't progressive, they mean it doesn't progress like say cancer or other diseases that you can die from, but it can get worse.

I recently discovered that all the symptoms of FM and CFS can be accounted for by Dysautonomia an autonomic nervous systems disfunction. If you want to learn more about this you can do a search on the net.

Barb
  3. DreamPoet

DreamPoet New Member

Thank you everyone for your support and answers. It is a relief to finally know I'm not just going crazy. After being told so many times that the pain you have is all in your head and there's nothing wrong with you, you begin to feel there's no point in even trying to say anything about it to anyone. I've had the symptoms for I would say well over ten years now...probably more like 14 or 15 and maybe longer. But I quit saying anything to anyone about the pain until recently when I started having severe rib pain...I have asthma, also and have had chronic sinus infections and they thought I may have broken ribs from coughing...the x-rays showed nothing, so my doctor ordered a full body bone scan...that showed nothing. The blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus showed nothing (not that I'm complaining)...but he finally told me that I have FM. Much as I don't really want it, it's good to put a name to the problem. Now he's ordering a sleep study to see if I have sleep apnea as well. That should be fun!!

Thanks again for everyone's support. It doesn't sound like I have it as bad as some and don't have the other complications, but it's good to know there's support out there.
  4. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Welcome Dreampoet,
    So sorry about your diagnosis. I have FM and after a year of being treated for it, I started to get very discouraged because I felt I was getting worse instead of better. I was going to a rheumatologist at the time. So, I wrote down a very simple list of all the medical issues I'd had during my life and took it to the rheumatologist on my next visit. He took a look at my list and said that I had Ehlers Danlos and sent me on to a physiotrist because he didn't know enough about EDS to treat me. Like you, I looked on the internet for Ehlers Danlos and knew I had the right diagnosis, finally. Many people with EDS also have FM. There is a link there for sure. Might be something to read about. Happy you are here, sorry you have FM and that's the reason you are here.
    H