Just Updated To Explorer 7 On My PC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow! What a difference. It's faster and the pages are sooooooo much clearer. It installed with no problems. The toolbar looks slightly different but that's about it.

Love, Mikie
  2. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I work with computers and have all the latest and greatest antivirus and spyware on the computer. I have learned in the last couple months that using internet explorer could be dangerous because so many of the hackers, people who invent those lovely bugs, etc. do so 90% of the time on internet explorer. Makes sense since this is the program on most computers when you get them from the factory.

I didn't change it soon enough. I learned the hard way on my kids computer. Since there are a wider variety of sites they get into they are more prone to problems. Well 5 trojans pigbacked in last week. Now they cannot even open internet explorer or run a lot of there programs. We cannot do system restore because it got that too. Pretty messed up and all the antivirus and spyware programs say they have fixed it or healed it whatever. Nope! so I am working on it.

In the meantime I have switched our search engine to Firefox and have had great luck with it. A lot like the internet explorer 7 only even more user friendly. (I had upgraded to IE7 on both computers before this happened)

Unfortunately you cannot remove IE from you computer completely, microsoft has made sure of that. The program is integrated into their operating system so if you try if will interfere with other programs.

I would recommend a different search engine to anyone interested Opera and Firefox are probably two of the best. I am not saying anyone should, it is your choice. If you stay with IE the upgrade to IE7 is very handy to work with. I agree I totally enjoyed it while I had it. I enjoy Firefox even more though.

I am recommending a change, but definitely not saying anyone should make a decision on my opinion. Please do not take this information wrong. It is for informational purposes only.

Thank you and take care,
    Blessed Be & Kitten hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I really like Internet Explorer 7 so far. It changed the font slightly on this site, for some reason.

Hopefully, my Avast and pop-up blocker will keep viruses and spyware off of my system.
  4. larryh

larryh New Member

I am with you on preferring Firefox over IE of any version. It is much safer and actually easier to use. I recommend all of my customers to use Firefox unless the have to access a web site that will not support it and there are fewer of those every day. Then again maybe it is just an Iowa thing since we are both Iowans.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate it.

A professor of computer science here at FGCU has found that when a computer has been crashed and one cannot get it to respond, it usually works to open it up and take the small bettery out of the motherboard and put it back in.

A virus got my laptop when I let my Norton lapse for only a couple of days. I have a reset hole in the back and when I couldn't fix it, I poked the reset button with a paperclip unwound and it did the trick.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just realized the tool bar with "Edit", "Tools," etc. is gone. How do I get this back? Help!

Love, Mikie
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

If you are in the mood for a new computer get a Mac. You won't have the problems and the browser, Safari works great. You can still run a version of Firefox on the Mac if you just like Firefox.

I'm on my MacBook Pro laptop right now. I do have Norton AV for Macs on here just in case.

Take care,
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Faye, my kids just got an Apple notebook and they love it. I'll probably stick with what I have until they are either obsolete or conk out.

I just got a new phone with so many features that I think I'll have to pass my state boards just to use it all. I'm awash in techno overload. It doesn't take much.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Click on the Tools icon and click on toolbar.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I looked up Firefox:

Mozilla's Firefox 2.0 has long been considered a safer Web browser than Microsoft's Internet Explorer, but a new flaw in the Firefox Password Manager, which lets users store usernames and passwords for trusted Web sites, could let hackers steal their login data.

The problem, known as a reverse cross-site request, or RCSR, was first discovered by Robert Chapin, a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) and I.T, consultant. The RCSR appears on blogs, message boards, or group forums that let users add comments with embedded HTML code.

On sites that allow users to enter code, a hacker can embed a form that tricks the user's browser into sending its username and password information to the hacker's computer. Because the form is embedded on a trusted Web site, the browser's built-in antiphishing protection, which is designed to alert users to fraudulent Web sites, does not detect the problem.

Even worse, hackers can make the deceptive form invisible, meaning users can transmit their private data without even knowing it.

Bug #360493

The Mozilla Foundation, which maintains code for the Firefox browser, has acknowledged the problem and named it bug #360493. Microsoft has also admitted that RCSR attacks can affect Internet Explorer, but most reports indicate that Firefox is the more likely target because of the way it stores usernames and passwords.

Neither Mozilla nor Microsoft has released a patch for the problem, but users can avoid RCSR attacks simply by disabling their browsers' autosave features for usernames and passwords. In Firefox, the feature is found in the "Options" window under the "Tools" menu.

Mozilla has indicated that it plans a fix in Firefox version or

Battle of the Titans

Most experts agree that Firefox is by and large the safer of the two major Web browsers, largely because Microsoft, on account of its size, draws more attention from hackers.

Indeed, the last two years have seen monthly and sometimes weekly reports of new bugs in Internet Explorer, letting hackers do everything from hijack a user's computer to corrupt its private data.

But Microsoft released a new version of IE -- version 7.0 -- in October, and Mozilla quickly followed suit with version 2.0 of Firefox. Both versions boast enhanced security, including antiphishing features that check Web sites against an online database of known frauds. And Internet Exporer 7 also offers much-requested improvements to the interface, such as tabbed browsing.

At present, Microsoft controls the bulk of the browser market -- estimates put IE usage at 80 percent to 90 percent -- but Firefox is nipping at its heels.

11. IowaMorningGlory

Firefox also has the tabs like IE7. Also the password issue was a concern when I started because it does save your passwords, but only if you say "save my password" it asks you everytime. You can also set the options to opt out of this.

Thank you Mikie also for the the extra info. I too have norton antivirus, AVG and Ad-Aware on my computers. They did not stop the trogans from marching in an piggybacking IE7. I am going to try the info from your professor though and see if that will bring the other computer back to life. Usually I am the town virus fixer, but this trojan I just can't seem to shake out of their computer.

Like I said, I really liked the IE7, but after that I knew it was time to switch my other computer before something happened to it too.

Hi Larry. I find the simplicity so much better and that I can modify and add tabs to my liking not just what microsoft thinks I should have. Maybe it is an Iowa thing, I hope it catches on.

Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  12. larryh

larryh New Member

A word of caution for you. Don't run two antivirus programs at the same time. They will neither one work as well as they should and will probably bog your computer down.

Another nice thing about Firefox is that they will probably fix any bugs in 1/10th the time it takes Microsoft and even with a bug there are fewer people trying to hack it. Besides I don't really trust Microsoft to have my best interests at heart.

What trojan are you trying to remove? We seem to have the same local job. I did computers and software for 15 yrs before CFS and now I just do a little for friends and friends or friends. I ued to deal with acounting and employee timekeeping and I try to avoid that sort of thing since I started having brain fog so often.

It is always nice to meet another geek.

13. IowaMorningGlory

Sitting here wide awake at 3:36 in the morning! About my fourth time up. Thinking I may give up and stay up. Maybe read a good book.

Virus protectors no problem. We usually keep AVG off, but once a week I shut of Norton and turn on AVG and run it. A lot of times it will pick up what Norton doesn't. Thanks for the advice though because you are right about running them at the same time, really slows down the computer.

Yes, I don't believe microsoft has our best interests at heart either. It bothers me you cannot remove IE from your computer because it is integrated into Windows OS. What a great monopoly they have there.

I would have to go upstairs again to see what the trojans are. I will definitely do that tomorrow as I have had no luck with it. The kids have been fine so far because they can still get into the game they play online. It is safe they have played it for over a year.

I do think what happened though is my oldest son had a friend over Saturday. My kids have a shortcut on the computer to get to the game. This kid went through "ThotBot" to load the game. I believe the trojans latched on from there. Just my theory since nobody else got into anything different.

I have thought of just copying Firfox file to a cd and putting it on there computer to bypass IE. That still won't help that my system restore won't work.

Anyway fello geek, I will get you those names later today. Maybe between the two of us we can figure it out.

Thank you and take care,
    Blessed Be,
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2006]
  14. I downloaded internet 7 and took it off then, because I COULDN"T FIND MY EMAIL ICON! And yes my address bar disappeared then. Where is the email icon on that int. exp. 7 ? My friend said to go with firefox too, what do to? what to do, computer illiterate here. waaaaaa!
  15. IowaMorningGlory

Fibrobutterfly, or anyone else interested I thought if it would make it easier for you I would put the link to firefox on here for you.

If you do download it it will ask you what add-ons you would like to put on, keep it simple to start with you can always add them on later.

Also, under bookmarks (instead of favorites)you can access hotmail and yahoo from there. Firefox also will ask you if you want to transfer your favorites from IE, if you do mark yes so you don't lose them.

You can even go to tools and then options and change the font text and size for all your pages you look at so they are consistant. I found that great because of my fibro.

Hope this helps, and othe questions feel free to ask me or Larry.
    Thank you and take care,
    Blessed Be & Kitten Hugs,
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2006]