Just want to go to sleep...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Seems like the only relief I get is if I get into a deep sleep. I still hurt bad though when I wake up.

I am so out of answers lately.....painkillers are useless.
    Exercise is useless..(usually makes me flare).

: (

Sorry I sound so down...I just am beat.
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

....sometimes. This is a place where you can come and vent and we understand. The fatigue and the pain can be unrelenting.
    Don't give up!! Keep searching; there are answers out there; sometines they are just a little hard to find.

In the meantime, have you tried the Epsom salts baths or some quiet meditiation?

Praying that you will find relief.

Kathy.

3. jake123

jake123 New Member

I was there last Thursday. I am still working and I had a meeting and I didn't know what building it was in and I didn't think I could figure out which building it WAS in and I didn't feel like I had anything to bring to the table once I got there.
    I couldn't figure out how to register for the meeting, the computer wouldn't let me into the website. I had worked twelve hours the day before.
    I was totally wiped out physically and mentally. Just a black mood. It took three days of rest to get me through.
    You just have to take care of yourself. Have some cocoa and watch the Funniest Pets on TV, soak in the tub with some soothing music. I know you're a man, but go get a manicure from one of those cute little Vietnamese girls. You might find out why the girls like it!
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I could take a whole bottle of tylenol and have no relief. It is downright amazing. What is perpetuating this pain?

I know I get run down from working etc but my life feels like survival instead of living.

There are parts of my body during these flares that I cannot stand anyone to even touch.

Thanks for your kind words.

TIM
  5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I was struck by the line in your reply that said that your life is like survival instead of living. It just spoke to me.

That is exactly how I feel, but you put it into words for me.

I feel the same way you do on many days. As a matter of fact I live in Indiana and the worst part of the year for me is on it's way....winter. The worst part of winter for me is the lack of sunshine.

Even when I feel this way, I never give up hope...yes I do sleep a lot, but I never give up hope.

I just hope for you that tomorrow will be a good day and that you will have a lot of good days.

By-the-way, what kind of painkillers are you using. There are some very effective ones out there. Maybe you just haven't found the right one yet. Are you on a prescription pain med? I take ultracet and it helps me so much. Also I have just started Cymbalta for depression and it has helped reduce my pain significantly.

Jodi
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

I think having fibro is much, much tougher for men then for women. Not the illness, but society's expectations of how men and women behave.

Men are not allowed to be "weak", or to take care of themselves. The toughest one wins ... Which, please excuse me, is nothing but BS.

I looked in your profile. I imagine you get up and put one foot in front of the other for that five year old child of yours. So obvious that your child means the world to you.

I haven't looked in your past posts so I may be asking repeat questions. If I may, what medications are you taking? Have you had a chance to pinpoint which sleep disorder is plaguing you? I have some thoughts on GH and other hormones that might help .... if I'm not being too intrusive.

Hang in there,

Elsa
  7. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

.....I hope you know how much we all can relate.

It just hit me hard because I was there just a few weeks ago. Driving to and home from work each day just hoping someone would slam into me and end it all. I was in the most hideous flare I had ever had and the longest.

That being said, and not meant to discourage you at all, we all go through periods when we feel like we just can't take anymore. Whether it's pain or exhaustion or other symptoms.

All I can say is that you will be in my prayers in addition to many others. Hang in there, there will be better days ahead. Keep venting to people who can sympathize, relate, support and pray for you.

Gentle Hugs,
    Jen
  8. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I read everything I can find on the net about FM, as well as publications, books, etc. I looked at your other posts and see that exercise makes you worse. I read over and over that that is a sign of CFS more than FM. What have you been diagnosed with?

I believe that there is a combination of meds that will take the edge off your pain, if not take it away completely, at times. I take 20 ml of oxy and 20 ml of methadone twice a day, with Darvocet, if needed. I have some very decent days, and at the minimum, some decent hours out of every 24. It took me over a year to finally come up with this combination to help me. I also take 60ml of Cymbalta. It alone did not erase much total pain, but I have definitely had a better outlook taking it!

Good luck with your search, everyone here understands the toll it takes on you, but you have to KNOW that help is possible...KEEP THE FAITH!!!!

Jana
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  9. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I'm so sorry that you have to work with this DD. I noticed that you live in San Diego. Thank God the weather is decent here, and we don't have to battle with snow and ice.

What type of exercise have you tried? Have you tried warm water therapy? I go to E&L Pysical therapy and use their indoor warm pool. I can't swim in it(swimming is too difficult for me) but I do gentle exercises in the water.
    They have a few locations in San Diego. I did flare badly at first, but I just kept going anyway, and it helps my back pain now.

I hope you can find some relief. I understand the pain and depression too well.
  10. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I'm so sorry you feel so rotten.

Everyone has given great advice. If you need to sleep another 12 hours and you don't hurt when you sleep, then go do that!

I hope the pain recedes soon. I know how it feels.

Take care,

Francie
  11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

(((Tim)))

Don't have anything to add (except to confirm that low dose antidepressants can give some pain relief), just wanted to send you a hug.

Please let us know how you get on when you have discussed this with your doctor.xxx
  12. abbey23

abbey23 New Member

Just take it oneday at a time. It is so hard and the pain alone is enough to drive someone to seriously drink, but, it can get better in small doses. I feel the pain today so badly. It is like nothing I do will help. You might want to try resting on a heating pad, deep breathing exercises, or some light stretching...sometimes these things help me, but remember, what helps one person may or may not help you. Just be patient, breathe, pray, and keep researching for answers...take good care..I know it won't help you feel better, but I am thinking of you today...take it slow and easy...

abbey
  13. jake123

jake123 New Member

Here's something else I have found to be true, when you have FM/CFS and you are still able to work, you still have those painful, burning, black days and you just have to stop and take care of yourself. I swear that was me last week.
    People at work tend to forget that you are working with an illness. I have to go in tomorrow and explain to my boss why I didn't go to that meeting last week.
    My husband said just tell him you didn't feel good. Well, you know it's not that simple. I have already decided that if he gives me crap that I will say, "I've never asked for any accommodations for my illness."
    That has all kinds of implications and its not even that I plan to ask for accommodations but "I need to be allowed to take my sick days or days without pay" [edited].
    Are you going to be alright Tim??
  14. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Yeah, I keep going for my family.

I just cannot understand what is perpetuating this pain. How can painkillers have zero effect? Why does exercise flare it instead of help it? Why does nothing really work?

I have tried everything and anything and to be totally honest, nothing has been that beneficial...yes, it helps to move around some versus do nothing but to what degree? Maybe I am a teeny weeny bit better than doing nothing? God forbid I do anything sports related...DONE! I pay so dearly that I wish I never did it.

What is doing this? I just cannot understand how you can have something like this and have such little help. Isn't it amazing that so many people are hurting so bad and nothing helps? Baffling to me atleast.

Thanks for all of your support...flares are brutal.
    TIM
  15. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

have you tried Klonopin (sp) in small doses it helps with sleep.

It has helped me so much and I only take 1mg you might need more.

Just a thought, i know everyone has opions, but it doesn't hurt.

Blessings
    Laura