Just want to say

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, May 8, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that I went through a really bad 'relapse', virtually bedridden for 6 months+ - all my symptoms worse than ever before - had thyroid tested only to find I was underactive. Hadn't had it tested for a couple of years.

Then was retested and I was negative but I had been reading about this, how the tests are not reliable and so my doctor agreed to start me on thyroid meds anyway. Started on low dose and its' taken a long time to feel a difference but I've been up and about for the last 2 weeks - wonderful.

I'm not cured, still have fibro and m.e. but I realise the 6 months in bed were down to the thyroid problem.

See www.drmyhill.co.uk - go to hormonal problems then to
    Hypothydroidism - diagnosis of

[This Message was Edited on 05/08/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2008]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I gained 14lbs in weight in no time (already overweight with cfs but stayed around the same then I just ballooned), swollen, dry skin, bad spots, fatigue and muscle pain worse.

My husband was bringing me all my meals in bed for 6 months.

You should check with your doc Kina because they are supposed to consider the symptoms and not just depend on the blood tests.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You never said anything about your relapse before. Well, I'm glad to hear you're better.

Nice of hubby to bring you your meals. Was he cooking them too?

Still taking the thyroid med.?

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am so glad for you. Unbelievable. I am so happy that your doctor really cared about you and did that anyway even though the tests were negative.

My mother in law thinks that is my problem, probably the underactive thyroid. My Grandma had that too. I never gain a pound and eat like a pig. She said that is one of the signs. Plus I get the stomach bout all the time (IBS), dizziness all the time, and just exhausted all the time.

I think I will get tested next time I go to my doctor.

Hooray Rosie

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I just had my thyroid tested - the TSH and T3 and T4 - all came back normal. However, I'm gaining weight without hardly eating, having incredibly dry skin, TIRED, NO energy - I mean how do you know if you have thyroid problems if your tests come back normal.
    I don't actually know what my T3 and 4 came back at, but my TSH is always on the good end of normal.
    All of my symptoms are probably just me (and the tireness etc. is fibro and my lifestyle)
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

click www.drmyhill.co.uk

you'll find out about having negative results even when thyroid underactive.

This is not the cause of my M.E. / Fibro though - this is something that started 6 months ago and made my symptoms much worse - like gaining 14lbs in a few weeks, terrible skin, not being able to get out of bed.

I still have terrible pain but I'm getting up and dressed and back to what I was 6 months ago.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The experts keep changing what is considered a "normal range." I fall within the normal range but feel so much better on a tiny dose of Synthroid that my doc keeps me on it and checks my thyroid to ensure that I'm not getting too much. He said at the tiny dose I take, it would be next to impossible for it to make my number drop too low.

Before the Synthroid, I had to nap every day. Now, unless I'm flaring, I don't need to nap.

Hugs and prayers for you to start really feeling better.

Love, Mikie
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have Hashimotos and never once in the twenty years I have had this has blood work ever shown thyroid disease. However, the needle biopsies from the three nodules I now have DO show thyroid disease.

I have gained a lot of weight for no reason, have dry skin and hair all the usual suspects - oh the very low body temps too (see Wilsons Thyroid symptoms on the web)and my doc is still dithering about fiving me meds.

It is interesting that vets changed the values for thyroid disease on animals a couple of years ago and yet our docs are still using the old standards.

My son is borderline low thyroid was below the normal twice has this swollen puffy face, has gained weight and yet the endo says it is not thyroid disease. However this week they are running a new test that shows some other variation.
    Plus should kids have the same values as adults anyway?

I read of a child who was ill and his thyroid test were normal and eventually the mom asked for a thyroid scan and the kid actually had such a small thyroid it was really NO thyroid. Go figure.

Love Annie
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

it's really scary that the tests are unreliable, that they have changed the reading for animals but not for us and that a little dose of thyroid meds can help us SO much.

The change in me 6 months ago was startling, I knew something was amiss, that this was an added problem to my m.e. / fibro problems.

I'm lucky my doctor is so understanding.