just wanted to take a survey

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justusjane, Sep 1, 2003.

1. justusjane

justusjane New Member

How many of you had sometime type of viral infection just prior to being diagnosed with cfs/fibromyalgia ie.eppstein barr,mono,cold,flu etc..
    just trying to find some common denominators thanks in advance to who participate
  2. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

I had a stomach virus in January 2001, and have never felt well since. Finally, about three months ago the genius physicians in Little Rock figured out i had fibromyaglia instead of my being crazy or a hypochondriac.

Thanks,

Deena
  3. heathlyn

heathlyn New Member

I had Lyme's in 1999 and was diagnosed in 2003.
  4. tnnanatx

tnnanatx New Member

viral meningitis in 1998 and was dx in 2003.
  5. cureforpain

cureforpain New Member

Yes in 1988, I had mono-like illness, but was neg for mono-spot test.

Erica
  6. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

my computerless cousin with CFS. She had Epstien Barr several years ago and it was poorly treated (to put it mildly!) She still has flareups of it. I'm sending her all the info I find here.

Myself, thankfully, I've never been really sick - well, no, I thought the Hong Kong Flu in the late 60's would kill me but I had the FM all my life. I don't imagin that helped any, though.

JoAnn
  7. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I had a stomach virus in Feb. of 2001, never seemed to recover completely or feel good again after that. In April of that year, I started having muscle and joint pain and then was diagnosed with Fibro.
  8. angeldust

angeldust New Member

Yeah, I had a really bad cough and chest infection which lasted for over a month - I was told I had laryngitis. The cough went the glands swelled up, they checked for glandular fever, within 3 weeks of the cough going I couldn't stand up and was diagnosed with probable CFS. A year later a good bit better, but far from back to normal.
  9. libra55

libra55 New Member

I had Lyme disease. But I had the fibro symptoms even before the Lyme, so not sure what caused it. Maybe having the Lyme caused me to be tested and more conscientious about my health so that's when the docs found the fibro.

Michelle
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

Strep throat~ Which then became a staph infection??how that ever happened i'll never understand! I've never been quite the same.
  11. I had a sinus infection right before it came on with a vengeance.
  12. moose1070

moose1070 New Member

YEP!!!
    I had a total Hyst. in Feb. 2001, the systems started almost two months after that, always felt like I had the flu, always had UTI's and sinus infec. but they said it was hormones! and then my husband took ill in Nov. 2002 and from then on it was down hill, got my DX's in March 2003. Between the surgery, being sick and then the stress, it took me over the edge!
    Moose1070
  13. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

After bout with viral meningitis/lyme in mid 1980. Misdiagnosed for too many yrs. Never was quite well again after 10 in hosp. for meningits which now appears was lyme.

Did have some fm signs from young on but not sickly.
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

had tonsilitis/mono/meningitis/hepatitis when I was 18--19 (had it for a year). Nobody back then gave supplements, just told me to 'rest'.

Have never been right since (it's now been 30 years), but the worst has been the past few years after experiencing a high degree of stress for several years.

Victoria
  15. 2girls

2girls New Member

Yes - The ER said it was labrynthitis and I have not recovered since - over 2 yrs.
  16. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

coming down with flu. I't seemed even more downhill from that point.Its hard for me to pinpoint the cause of all of this. I do know that 1 yr prior the flu as I was pregnat with my second child I had the fatigue and double vision all of tingling and stuff. I had a c-section(again) and had an infection from that. A lot of stress from my husband ect. But really after the flu and moving again I felt so bad I knew I had to rule out ms or cancer or something.
    Kjan9
  17. desertlily

desertlily New Member

My CFS/FM started with a very bad respiratory infection, which I got over, then got sick again with it the next month. Soon after that all the strange symptoms of CFS/FM started up and have been with me ever since.
  18. hope-floats

hope-floats New Member

I had mono at age 17 (that was a hundred years ago!) When I became sick recently, and my blood study for EBV came back...it was active. I have fibro symptoms and debilitating chronic fatigue. My thyroid is hypo, I have active Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and adrenal fatigue...not to mention iron dificency anemia. YES, I'm am looking for a better word to describe TIRED!
  19. Hikagranma

Hikagranma New Member

[Me and my popping man - he makes me smile]

I have CFIDS and arthritis - not Fibro.

I had my 2 month bout w/ hepatitis in Feb & Mar of 1948 - at age of 26. through out the years, I would have periods of feeling 100% - but this would be only for periods usually from May to October.

Bouts seemed to start then with other viruses - or doing mildly heavy work - gardening - cleaning basement. Whenever I felt iss - I always said I felt like when i did have hepatitis.

The 2 years immediately following the birth of our daughter 6/2/56 - I felt perfect - then I think I was PG again [lost it] and my lousy days started - but more intense than before.

Right now I am in a slump - this time started w/ gastric problems. I remember that being the onset many times - Other times it would be the flu - which started the bouts.
    Or else it 'just came'!

Sinusitis [staph]; and thyroid conditions entered into the picture.

I would get the usual reply from the medical profession - you aren't doing enough - you are doing too much - etc.

It wasn't until I moved back to the hometown in 1975 that MY CONDITION STARTED & LASTED ALMOST YEAR LONG BY NOW [1975] I finally found a doctor - who referred me to my present hemotoligist [who now I consider my 'family' doctor] He did a bone marrow in 89 - and discovered I was low in the GammaGloblin readings - and I have been on GG iv q/28 days [IV]eversince - GREAT HELP HAS FINALLY NOW COME TO ME.

I am sorry this is so long - but that is part of my story. Things occurred in 2000 that has greatly altered an
    already slowed down life - but as I said - that is another story.

Marian
  20. KDBBEV

KDBBEV New Member

I had just finished 6 rounds of carboplatin and taxol for ovarian cancer...when I started hurting bad. My chemo doc said it wasn't the chemo....Yea sure!!!