Just when I thought I MIGHT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Feb 16, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

be able to think about getting back to work, I got a call from my rheumatologist . I had seen her last week. She ordered more lab work and x-rays. I expected her to call me and tell me that "nothing has changed."

Well, she called me today and told me that it looks like I'm still having kidney problems. I had a kidney infection approx. 5-6 weeks ago, and she also poured through my chart and came up with ultrasound results from several years ago that stated I have kidney stones. Well, apparently my current kidney status is that I have low uric acid levels and I have abnormal ketone and protein levels, as well as mucous in the urine. So, she sent me for another urine test today (a culture) before she decides which antibiotic to put me on. I have an appointment with a nephrologist but not until March 22nd. My rheumy told me that, depending on what this new urine test shows, she will call the nephrologist and ask to have me seen sooner. Oh yeah, and my blod pressure, which has been textbook perfect (maybe even a little low) has been steadily rising over the past 2 months.

So, the x-rays. I have degenerative arthritis in my shoulders and hips- no surprise there! However, apparently I have narrowing of discs C5-C7. I have something called straightening lordosis (gonna have to look that one up!). These are apparently often caused by muscle spasms.

Oh yay - somrthing else to add on to my ever growing list of diagnoses.

Phooey - I really hate this.
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

to hear your having some kidney problems, those infections are no picnic!! since ii had some Kidney issues a while back, i've been worried about them.

i read on the phoenix rising forum, that cfs/fibro peeps tend to have low blood volume to thier kidneys also, i had no idea till i read that.

as far as the kidney stones they found a long time ago, did they do anything about them??
    also, i was taking a lot of supps, and added this prasite cleanse. and thats when the kidney problems started.the cleanse thing was way strong and add that to all the other things i was taking and my kidney function was way off, and i had back pain over them.thecouldnt handle the buildup of all those things i guess and then add low blood volume:(

Just thinking maybe you have started some new med or supps? maybe thats the reason for the kidney thing.
    it took mine a few month to get back to normal, it really scared me.
    Take care, and hope you have good news about your kidneys, i know it's scary
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

so sorry... sometimes once things 'start rolling', it really keeps going. Can't say much about the kidneys, but I would like to talk about my neck problems as they're similar.

I have had a 'military neck' (same thing) forever, was told that when I was in my 20s, tho no apparent problems caused by it when I was young. Of course I still have it... didn't have any problems tho til I had a car accident (dead stop at 30 mph when a truck pulled out in front of me) in '04, apparently it caused the disc between C6-7 to slightly bulge and I started to get nausea off & on.

I still get occasionally nauseated when it 'kicks up', but worse, it's started to affect me emotionally - now I can get a 'feeling of doom & gloom' along with the nausea and sometimes pain. It's weird that sometimes it's not really painful tho the other symptoms can be there. Regular massage and a slightly different way of 'adjusting' done by my masseuse here that's unlike chiro (what I used to use & worked well) seems to help me a lot.

My husband also has a naturally 'military neck' plus the same injury (but to a greater extent from being a wrestler in HS & then a boxer), but also has stenosis of the cervical spine. He regularly goes thru this too, but often worse than me.

I learned from observing him that the feelings of 'doom & gloom' are not related to anything but a physical basis... something that took him a LONG time to identify and was hell.

So, just a warning in case yours ever works the same way - there's a real danger to attaching meaning to something that's actually being caused physiologically instead of from one's everyday life.

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 02/16/2010]
  4. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

WOW! When I was reading the part of your reply about having the feelings of "gloom and doom" I thought I was reading about myself. Over the past month or so, I have had that feeling many times. I ready that part of your post to my husband and he just stared at me. I have felt at times like I was actually dying - or what I imagine it must feel like to be dying. I have had days where my depression has been like I was lying under a blanket of rocks. I even texted my husband at work one night and told him that if I was feeling that way the next morning that I thought I should do a voluntary commit to the psych unit at one of our local hospitals. When I woke up the next morning - those feelings were gone.

At least I now know that I'm not going crazy. (Although some of my friends might disagree!!)

Thank you very much for sharing that information with me. When/if I get some answers about my situation, I'll let you know.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Glad our experiences can be of some help to someone else! It can be so hard to differentiate what is coming from what. Humans IMHO tend to almost always attach meaning to what we 'feel', yet our emotions as you know can be impacted by physical problems. This is such a devastating feeling/emotion, I can relate to what you're saying too... it has a whole-body effect when it hits.

My DH has RSD/Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and cervical stenosis as well. Somehow the stenosis has actually gotten better (it's not supposed to do that!). He was also a psychologist who (rather ironically) worked with a lot of chronic pain pts, some of whom had developed RSD which is how he was aware of the condition. At the time (early 90's) exercise was actually recommended, and for him it helped immensely (he was lifting weights thru tears). naturally this isn't recommended for those of us with CF/FM, but, there is a lot of overlap with these symptoms.

He also actually really 'got it' about the physiological effect all of this had on his emotions when he was taking a long drive cross-country- on 1 day he started out feeling great, and suddenly 'the great depression' and 'doom & gloom' came over him for absolutely no reason. That one experience really put it all in perspective, even tho intellectually before that he'd finally realized it was happening to him, it became painfully obvious when there was absolutely no input from the outer world and everything was fine.

For my DH he finds that massage and/or chiropractic help, also aspirin really helps, whether he's actually feeling pain or not. He has taken immense amounts of aspirin at times (for many years up to 3 grams every day!!!!). I can't do that as I'd get a recurrance of an ulcer (non h. pylori).

What I think I have found that helps me- or maybe at least switches things around a bit quicker- is taking L-Theanine along with the massage/chiro. (These feelings have all been recent for me, so I'm experimenting.) Granted stress doesn't help, and I know you're going thru a lot anyway (so are we). With L-Theanine, there's no side effects that I've ever read about, and is a great "anxiety reducer" and also helps depression, and can even give some energy.

My son who has chronic Lyme takes it every day, and can't live without it (he reacted paradoxically to all psychotropics rx'd, this is the only thing that has helped him), as he does get recurring depression/anxiety from the Lyme and/or Bartonella and/or Babesia. He tried to stop it last summer and really declined within weeks - not just mentally but also physically. The good thing about L-theanine is that it can actually start working withing a short time frame, shortest reported was 1/2 hour tho for us it takes longer. The other good thing about it is that it is relatively cheap, lol.

take care!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 02/17/2010]
  6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Once again - thank you. I just love the exchange of information that we can get here. Obviously, not everything works for everyone - but just knowing that there are options out there is comforting.
  7. toddm

toddm New Member

One other thing to check on is autonomic issues, the low blood volume could be connected. Don't feel alone with the things you're feeling, most of us have been there. 3 years ago I never wouldf have dreamed I'd be where I'm at today. Find the right doctors and good things will follow. We'll get in touch somehow, someday........and I can trade some names with you.