Just wondering...How many of you will get the small pox shot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

If its offered to the public would you get the shot?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I will try to avoid ever taking another vaccination if at all possible. Now, that easy to say right now, but if a smallpox attack were to happen near me, I might change my mind.

Love, Mikie
  3. little

little Member

I had a Titnus shot two years ago and the side affects lasted about three months. NO MORE SHOTS. gAIL
  4. phenom

phenom New Member

if it were offered here i would not take it. at the moment there is a handful of soldiers about to be deployed to the gulf who are refusing anthrax vaccinations - good on em i say. the government has also come out and said there is no such thing as gulf war syndrome. i wouldn't trust any goverment. my two cents.

phenom
  5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I don't like the idea of small pox shot...I'm too sensitive!!
  6. sb439

sb439 New Member

with my immunsystem already down, autoimmuneproblems on top, I'd be a wonderful candidate for the side-effects.
    Susanne
  7. Katlover

Katlover New Member

The side effects from the vacinnation are too terrifying. With Fibro, CFS, asthma, etc. I would be afraid that it would put me down for good! My hubby works in a hospital and he said he isn't getting it either. A friend of mine took all of those shots before serving in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. She is a mess now. Government says her problems aren't related to the vaccinations....funny, she never had problems BEFORE the shots!!!
    KL
  8. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

They said if you even get NEAR someone who's had it you can be affected. Not on my life will I take another one of those.

I don't remember concerns about people dying and reacting so badly to the last round some of us who are alive now took. I had a smallpox vaccination when I was a little girl. Just don't remember anyone showing concern for us taking them. It was just something we had to do.

Why is it such a big deal now as far as what might go wrong? Can't they make a vaccine that works better than that or was it always like this with this type vaccine and no one told us???

My reactions to meds and flu and shots and things thru-out my life shows me I'd not come thru this vaccine well.

Pam
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like all of us, smallpox vaccinations were mandatory throughout childhood if one wanted to stay in school. Mine never took, as they used to say. I never got a scab and never had a scar from them. I don't know whether this means I developed no immunity from them or not.

Love, Mikie
  10. gala

gala New Member

I would never get another vaccine for any reason. I got cfs/fm from a flu shot over 3 years ago. I know another vaccine would probabaly kill me. I guess I have a choice of dying from the vaccine or the smallpox. No more vaccines for me. Chris
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

nothing at all anymore. Too many adverse effects and I am having those from everything right now. No, no, no.....
  12. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Battling pneumonia right now, viral, suffering worse in my chest than I used to these days with the fibro, I cannot ever remember having trouble breathing like I do right now, it seems like everything hits twice has hard these days including even getting a shot, I do not trust the govt either and it is a live vaccine, it only makes sense to me that if we have a weakened immune system as it appears we do than we do not have the defenses to fight off illness, a live vaccine would take hold I would think. I guess if it happens I would probably consider it for about 10 seconds. I would question whether our own govt released it tho to thin out the population as I suspect the govt cannot afford all of us baby boomers as we age and the Soc Sec system is overloaded already and as we all hit the age to draw there is not enough money.

Jaci
  13. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Carlacat:
    I am a little afraid of the small pox vaccination. Don't know why really, but looks like we are not alone!!
    I also don't take flu shots anymore - seen too many bad side effects from them. Guess I'll take my chances.
    sue
  14. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

I will never get another vaccine. Thats why I have cfs. I had fibro already though.
  15. kimmer

kimmer New Member

CarlaCat-
    I agree with everyone else. Two years ago... I had a Flu shot...I was sick for almost 2 weeks and missed 8 days of work. The factory I work at, offers the shots for free. Our Human Resorce Manager...talked to me personally about getting the shot this year. He told me that it would be good for me to get the shot....Since I am someone who gets sick all the time!!! He made me so mad! I let him know... If he would have read any of the 30 pages of information that I gave him on Fibromyalgia, maybe he would have a better understanding on why it isn't even an option for me! Never Again....
  16. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I will not take it now but would take it if my area is exposed. I had the shot as a child like most of us and had no problem. Being a redhead and having fair skin with many allergies and reactions, FM, and other stuff I knoe it is a big step. But I also have seen in my research what smallpox is like and my Uncle who is a missionary has witnessed it first hand ... Uugh!! The suffering they saw was way worse than what the shot would do, unless you were one of those who has a "BAD" reaction. This is a bug decision and not to be taken lightly.

Janine
  17. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I won't be getting the shot. Two MD's that were experts in the smallpox field were interviewed in our paper here, the Star Tribune, and they said the only way you would probably get pox is if you were spending time right at the bedside of someone that has it. They were at a hospital in Afghanistan a few years ago and a man with pox came in....they put him in an open ward with many other ill people and nobody got the pox.

Marilyn :)
  18. Bambi

Bambi New Member

comes I would choose no. If there is
    a major attack however they do have
    the authority to force vaccinations
    through either the Patriot Act or
    the State something or other Emergencies Act. Everyone I know is
    just praying it doesn't become an
    issue. Hugs, Bambi
  19. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi all, i think the only way that i would get it is if there were an out break...i work in a hospital and they just started them this week for volunteers. i wont unless there is serious danger.
    --ami
  20. kaykow

kaykow New Member

I won't be getting it. I have eczema and I heard eczema and the small pox shot don't mix.