Just wondering I had mono years and years ago

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Mar 23, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I had Mono when I was in my teens and I was feeling like I do now. REally tired and sleepy and felt like I was made bones were made of stone and I could not lift anything. And now I am feeling like that again. I know that mono can come back. But by the time you have the test run your not in a active phase. And all you can do is rest. My daughter had Mono too and she was really sick and when she was tested she had 3 of the 4 titers that she needed to be active and was taken out of school for a month just so that she could rest.

She is now 28 and is married and gets achey all the time but is not one that really belives that fibro can cause the amount of pain that I say it does. Maybe I am wrong, I have been hurting for so long now that I don't know if I am right or wrong anymore?
    Rosemarie
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had mono when i was 17 years old...they put me in quarantine for a month in the hosiptal...they didn't know what i had...checked my blood everyday twice a day...i had a hmotologist called dr. lord...i guess they knew i needed someone to look over me...

they told me i had mono and hepatitus non a non b..this is back in 1982...i ened up having an enlarged spleen and liver ..my stomach hurt...eyes were yellow...i felt so tired..

anwyas i would go to my primarary docotr and tell him i am so tired...he said after you have mono you always will be...

i think that was the start of my fibro.....i did find out i had a blood disease(odd shaped red blood cells) called sphyerocytosis..but that took until the age of 19 to get it dx correctly ....

so your guess is as good as mine...

i had to get my ad lowered i think it is causing the burning pain through out my body this past month...

so we will see...

hugs to you

jodie
  3. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I too, had mono in my teens. I wonder how many fibro and CFS suffers did too?
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am not 100% sure if I did or did not have mono as a child as I had so many illnesses it's hard to remember.

I did have Pneumonia though in grade 3 that kept me out of school for 2 months.
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I had mono around Thanksgiving my senior year in college. It took six months for me to fully recover.

BUT my FM symptoms did not start until after my second child was born 14 months ago. I had high blood pressure and gestational diabetes and my thyroid went nodular with colloid cysts after delivery.

I am convinced that somehow FM, now currently more "favored" as neurologic, is modulated by the endocrine system.

Also, I have been on anti-depressants and mood stabilizers since I was 22 years old. It seems in our "ad-hoc" polls here that many FM people also suffer from depression. I'm wondering if that has something to do with FM also.

Hopefully, we'll be fortunate enough to find out more during our lifetimes so that treatments can be found to put people into remission permanently.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

I had a doctor specifically ask me if I had had mono when I was younger, I told him that I didn't so. He told me that most people who have FM have had mono, he then did a blood test that showed that indeed I did have mono at some point.

I'm not sure what the link is, but there clearly seems to be one. Interesting!!!

Foggy
  7. jane32

jane32 New Member

I had mono the first semester in college with extreme anemia.

After that it always took me logner to recover from colds but I lived a very high energetic life for 8 yrs. before getting CFS. But I would get this little fevers maybe every other month that would last for a day or two. Now they are at the extreme..but I remember going to a dr. for them and he just told me I was run down...could have been the first early signs of CFS...I guess I will never know.
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

rosemarie:
    I had mono back in the stone age and slept for two months.
    The doctor had to double check for leukemia since the blood was so bad. I had aches and pains for about two years after and it took a couple of years to get that old energy back, when I was younger.

N.F.
  9. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i got mono at age 31 and i kept thinking it was back and thr doc would say no, it is just still in your body from before....

i had a minor car accident, mono, helped a close friend through the death of her child(who was 3 and and fiend of my boys...i babysat him 24 hours before he was killed...we were close) i was at the hospital after his accident and was in the room with the family when the doc pronounced him dead....so stessful and traumatic...most horrible thing i hace ever been involved with...i got sick during the first year after he died...being a support to my friend was hard...it was almost as if my son had died...i was just too involved andi wonder if it made me sick...

also, we adopted our fourth child....3 years before this happened...it was an unexpected adoption...we had adopted a baby boy and when he was 2 years old, the birth mom had another baby and wanted to place him with us...so, we were not prepared for another child at the time....he was colicy too..and it was a time where we had a shortage of help with our dd with cerebral palsy...not enough personal care attendants at the time....it was stressful...i remember times when i was so uptight i couldn't swallow my spit....my boys were super busy and destructive ....they had to be watched non-stop....

i had the worst moments in the mornings while i was tryng to get my (disabled)dd ready for the bus and the 2 yr old was confined to the high chair eatin cheerios....staying out of trouble...and dont forget the other dd who needed mom' s attention and help with her french braids!!!!lol!!!

so, those are the triggers i blame...but, i think mono was one of the main triggers... sorry i got off topic!!!
  10. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

at the age of 15. Was hospitalized for two weeks. Missed school for more than that. Took me a full year to feel like doing anything. Lost 30 pounds. Was slim back then and couldn't afford to lose that kind of weight.

I'm curious to know how many of us on this board had mono in the past. I know there is a link.

Linda
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

which is called for you Brits, Glandular Fever over there and in Oz too I beleive, when I first came to the States about 25 years ago. Felt awful. I actually only just recalled I had it then.

Last year I had reemergent mono and I could not figure out why as I had not recalled ever having it, till about a week ago.

I felt OK, but since then got a plethora of problems, including this last severe flare.

My spleen was really swollen so I know it was not just off bloods, I really had it reemerge. Don't a lot of us here have lingering EBV and is not that the same virus???

Anne C
  12. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

It is the most common virus on Earth.

That being said, it can also be re-activated, which can be like CFS. My titer was just 170!! I was very sick and fatigued. So, I think that when you are feeling bad it is a good idea to have them run the test and check to see where your titers are. It was an eye-opener for my Dr., and I think for my family. It made them go "well, okay, maybe there is something wrong here."

The titers will show current reactivation within a month.

There is no direct correlation between having EBV in the first place and getting CFS or FMS, otherwise everyone would have it. However, for some reason it is reactivated in some individuals, which is why we feel so bad.

Does that clear it up some??
  13. christrut341

christrut341 New Member

Was also just recently told I had Mono and I can't find any studies linking Fibro to Mono but it's interesting that so many pple suffered mono before being diagnosed with Fibro.

For me the exhaustion and insomnia is the worst.
  14. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I read that people who get this illnes has had mono before I don't know where I read it I haven't had mono But had pnuemonia about 4 years ago
  15. Kryssi

Kryssi New Member

I totally disagree with the fact that EBV and CFIDS have no link! In fact, there is so much of a link that when CFS was first diagnosed, so many of the patients had ONSET because of mono that they called it "Chronic EBV" instead of Chronic Fatigue. Now they know that there are many other causes but the correlation remains. MANY cases of CFIDS START with a bad case of mono... like me for instance. I got mono.... and never got better, that was three years ago. I'm on a treatment protocol now (the Tietelbaum Protocol) and feeling better and one thing towards the end is to treat the EBV if it remains active. The biggest problem with this disease is that, yes, it has onset and starts... but then it SNOWBALLS. CFIDS is so hard to diagnose and treat because it is so complex. It starts, then it leads to this and that, which further compromises you, which leads to more and more until your body is just overwhelmed by it all. There is NO EASY ANSWER. Each and every individual has to try a unique customized protocol in order to be healed and in order to know which treatments you need is so hard... you need a combination of herbs/vitamins/ and prescription meds and none of us are qualified to figure it out. That's why I went to the protocol and I'm so glad I found it as it is the only thing that's given me any lasting relief and hope for my future.
  16. sues1

sues1 New Member

First I fell......never stopped hurting and was told it was Fibromyalgia.

Few months later I got the flu, just an ordinary flu.....but never got rid of it. I was told that I now had Chronic Fatigue.

In my many Drs. and tests and all that I was searching for an answer......(that never came).....

One new Dr. told me that I'd had Mono but it was not active now, but had it a couple of months prior, or something like that. He found nothing else to report on, all was good.(LOL)

I said that I'd had the flu....but surely not Mono as I was not that sick at the time. I felt much worse later, but not then.

At that time I read an article on CFIDS and they talked of Mono .......up til then I did not believe in CFIDS. It was too strange, too inane........

17. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I had mono twice,once when I was 14 and then when I was 19.
  18. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I had a severe case during my freshman year in high school. I was out of school for a long time and I was weak for many months. I still remember it and it reminds me so much of how I feel now although it did not effect my brain then.

My Mom was talking about the mono a few months ago and how I have never really been healthy since then. My Mom knows nothing about CFS/FM. I thought it strange how she noticed.

I was tested for Mono when I was tested for Lyme, AIDS, & some other diseases that I can't remember. It showed that I had Mono in the past but it was not active at that time.

19. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I got a bad case of mono when I was 20 on top of Russian flu. Had been married only 4 months at the time and had to quit a good job with the state. I was very sick and bedridden for 6 months. Actually wondered if I would die. One of my relatives was health conscious; got me some vitamins, including garlic to take. I did start getting better, got pregnant and had my first child. However, I was never as healthy as before.

Then when I turned 30, I had bronchitis after a miscarriage and it turned into mono AGAIN! I was the only person that I had heard of having mono twice! This time I knew about vitamins, echinacea, etc. and doctored myself back to health in about 3 months. However, 5 years later I found out I had fibromyalgia! Now here I am 10 years later trying to doctor my fibro with naturopathics and having pretty good luck thanks to this board!

Deb
  20. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

I have had 4 acute mono episodes in the last 30 years. In between those illnesses (lasting 1-2 months) I have led a fairly normal life.

It's true that the herpes-family virus that causes mononucleosis (Epstein-Barr, or EBV as we call it-- others would call it a virus from hell) infects nearly the entire population. The vast majority of people however are never made sick by EBV. It is relatively benign in that sense.

A small percentage of unfortunates however come down with mono, with sometimes future consequences. Those consequences can be future episodes of acute mono when EBV emerges from a dormant state and causes active infection. Some believe EBV can cause a chronic low-grade infection (where one is neither very sick nor really well). And of course there is the long-suspected link as a causative factor in CFSID.

EBV especially targets immune cells called B lymphocytes to invade and infect. It is similar in this effect (though not the same!) as HIV, which targets natural killer immune cells to infect and destroy.

When the body has controlled an EBV outbreak and the acute infection is over EBV can physically change its appearance and lie dormant inside B cells it has entered-- this way it evades detection and destruction by the body's immune defences.

The trick to controlling chronic EBV (either active or dormant) is to keep the body's natural resistance high enough to keep EBV dormant.

Resistance can be lowered by bad diet, a lot stress (physical or psychological), other infections, allergies, and exposure to toxic chemicals, among others insults to the body.

There are many natural approaches with herbs and nutritional supplements to dealing with EBV. Search this site under EBV or mono for much more info.

Good luck and may good health follow you the rest of your days.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2006]