Justice Dept. to Stop Pursuit of Medical Marijuana Use

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Oct 19, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is from the New York Times. I think this is a day when something like this would be helpful for me. Food for thought. gap

October 20, 2009
    Justice Dept. to Stop Pursuit of Medical Marijuana Use

WASHINGTON — People who use marijuana for medical purposes and those who distribute it should not face federal prosecution, provided they act according to state law, the Justice Department said on Monday in a directive with far-reaching political and legal implications.

In a memorandum to federal prosecutors in the 14 states that make some allowance for the use of marijuana for medical purposes, the department said it was committed to the “efficient and rational use” of its resources, and that going after individuals who were in “clear and unambiguous compliance” with state laws did not meet that standard.

“It will not be a priority to use federal resources to prosecute patients with serious illnesses or their caregivers who are complying with state laws on medical marijuana,” Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said in a statement accompanying the memo. “But we will not tolerate drug traffickers who hide behind claims of compliance with state law to mask activities that are clearly illegal.”

In emphasizing that it would continue to pursue those who use the concept of medical marijuana as a ruse, the department said, “Marijuana distribution in the United States remains the single largest source of revenue for the Mexican cartels.” Going after the makers and sellers of illegal drugs, including marijuana, will remain a “core priority.”

The Justice Department policy statement, foreshadowed since shortly after President Obama took office, was laid out on Monday in the announcement by Mr. Holder, who made public a memo from David W. Ogden, the deputy attorney general, to the United States attorneys in the affected states, most notably California.

The announcement formalizes the Obama administration’s departure from the policies of former President George W. Bush, under whose administration federal agents raided medical marijuana distributors that violated federal statutes, even if the distributors appeared to be complying with state laws.

Advocates of medical marijuana say the substance can reduce chronic pain, nausea and other ailments associated with cancer and other serious illnesses. In 1996, California became the first state to make it legal to sell marijuana to people with doctors’ prescriptions. The other states that allow some use of marijuana for medical purposes are Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

“This is a major step forward,” said Bruce Mirken, communications director for the Marijuana Policy Project, which supports legalizing the substance. “This change in policy moves the federal government dramatically toward respecting scientific and practical reality.”

The Justice Department indicated that the memo should not be interpreted as legalizing marijuana. “Rather, this memorandum is intended solely as a guide to the exercise of investigative and prosecutorial discretion,” the department said.

But there will inevitably be clashes, in political arenas and in courtrooms, over what constitutes “clear and unambiguous compliance” with state laws, and whether marijuana distributors ostensibly in business to provide the substance for medical use are being infiltrated by drug cartels.

Solomon Moore contributed reporting from Los Angeles.

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think this is very good news. I don't need medical marijuana, but I understand it is a godsend for many people.

Actually, I think it might be a good idea to just legalize marijuana. The violence of the drug cartels stems from the illegality of drugs, like the violence during prohibition. More food for thought --

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I agree with you 150%!!

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Amazing - we finally agree on something! ;-D

5. victoria

victoria New Member

it's about time they stop wasting federal tax money...
    &, I'm all for state rights...

6. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi Mary,

The government's cure is worse than the problem. Put me in the group that agrees with you.

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  7. lynncats

lynncats New Member

that would be the smartest thing the gov't could do. Legalize it.............I sure would try it. Actually, I smoke.....................sorry.

8. quanked

quanked Member

substance--that should never have occurred.

I just saw a film last week--"The Union..."--a documentary about growops--homes turned into places that grow marijuana in Vancouver, BC as well as an thorough examination of the history of cannabis (mostly USA sources)--its use, its misuse, the politics and legalities around using and growing the stuff, the real science about its effects, the lies surrounding this plant, the consequences to various groups if it were to be legalized and so much more. I knew some about cannabis but I learned a lot more.

I have considered getting a perscription. There are days when I would try anything that I believed might help with the pain, the mind fog, the exhaustion.
  9. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

I used to smoke pot regularly, and it does really help for those frustrating hours of agony when pain and fatigue are just driving you around the bend. Some people swear by it for pain control, but for me it is more like a distraction - very effective that way though!!

However, there is rebound fatigue, and so for some people it might be best to smoke it in the late day or evening so you can sleep after using it.

Bottom line - everybody should try it once, or until you feel the high [sometimes it takes a few sessions to actually trigger the canninaboid response] - because it has such a reputation as evil and there are so many misconceptions and your first high is absolutely amazing, but not freaky or weird. You can NEVER understand until you try it.

Also, there is some weirdness that I no longer enjoy. I do still smoke occasionally. In fact, I have $15 worth sitting in the trunk of my car that I bought from our local compassion club for somebody else but now they are gone away so it is mine if I want it. I nearly grabbed it tonight because I was feeling so awful at 5 pm.

The compassion club here it is just like any store, we walk in, look at the choices, buy as much or as little as you want. You need a membership though, I have one, a letter from the doctor is part of getting a membership.

$15 worth will last me many days, but some people smoke that much for breakfast. They seem to do just fine with it too, so maybe the rebound fatigue just happens to some people ; but it isn't a matter of "doing it all the time so you are used to it" - the fatigue allways happened to me, some people just don't get fatigued from it.

PROHIBITION MUST END!!! [especially because everybody agrees it should - is this not a democracy??]

[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  10. denis321

denis321 New Member

Fortune magazine recently had a long article about the business of marijuana. Just shows you how mainstream the issue is becoming.

I didn't read it but agree that some people do need it for medical purposes; however, a lot of people smoke it in the area I live for non-medical purposes and disguise it as medical.
  11. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I agree also its about time the govt legalize it for medicinal purposes and believe me some people smoke to help with nerves and what not. Do you mean you smoke cigs or marijuana? Your funny how you put it at the end. But my mentality is to each his own and whatever works for them more power to them!

12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Unfortunately, I can not smoke it as I get heart palpitations and dizzy. I also can't drink. Otherwise, I am a lot of fun.

But I think it should be an option and one that is legal. It is not the sixties anymore (you think?) and I would never buy anything off the street as it is often spiked with something.

I think it goes beyond the justice department not prosecuting. There also should be something in place to assure that you are getting quality product.

My brother in law is an oncologist and can prescribe Marinol (sp?). I think that is the safest way to go but right now it is not legal in all states.

13. Spacey

Spacey Member

I agree it should be legalized. I smoke it occasionally. It makes it easier to move around and you can feel trouble spots in your body. For me the problem comes with an attack of the munchies near the end. Eat everything in sight, especially chocolate if I have some. But sometimes it is nice to have around. Spacey
    A couple of years ago, there was a post about marajuana, and it was removed, as being inappropiate, I hope that doesn't happen again, since wer'e all grown ups and it is a legitamite subject. Free speech and all. Thanks, and take care all, Me[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  14. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Hi. I do indeed smoke weed, but I only do it in the evenings to calm me down, and it does help me with sleep. It also helps me eat, somedays I just don't have an appetite, but I sure do after a couple of "puffs", as I call them. You take care, and I hope you are having a good day.

15. victoria

victoria New Member

and never got anything from it but messed up speech, so there was no incentive. And yes, I was exposed to it 2nd (and 1st) hand more than a few times.

I really wonder if some people's genetics just don't allow the 'high' but still might be useful (I've never tried it since my early 20s). The reason I say this is because my daughter also reports it has no effect on her, she'd rather have a glass of wine, as I did...

16. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I have to admit I have tried it before I was in so much pain last year my meds were not working and my cousin said just try it so I did, and boy oh boy did I feel better and slept like a baby that night! LOL:)
    Although I have not since I want to bring it up to my Doc but I'm scared, I am on heavy duty pain meds and I get worried about my liver even though he checks it regularly. I hope your doing good today 2. I actually am having a pretty good day 2 day.

[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2009]
  17. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Glad to hear you are having a good day, mine isn't going to bad either. Glad to hear that when you did try it, it helped. My Doc knows nothing about it, I guess I'm scared in a way to tell them that I smoke. I don't smoke much, but it sure does help when I do in the evenings. I don't want to smoke during the day, although I'm sure it would help, but I don't want to be known as a "pot head", LOL, and I'm afraid I'll eat everything but the kitchen sick, LOL. You take care, and glad to meet you.