Kadian for pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jat, Sep 9, 2003.

1. jat

jat New Member

Hi fellow gentle huggers,
    I just wanted to know if any of you have heard of a fairly new pain killer called Kadian. My doc started my on it almost a year ago, and I gotta tell you ..... it seems too good to be true.

First of all I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I finally chose to go with narcotics for pain relief. Most fms people I talk to chastize me for poisoning my body and possibly causeing worse health problems down the line. But my quality of life was so low, and my ability to cope slipping away with all the natural theopies I tried. To be fair, I tried some pretty strange things in the beginning. grasping at straws ... you all know what I mean.

Anyway, .... Kadian is probably worth asking your doctor about. It's basically morphine, but with an extremely slow release mechanism. It can't be easily abused (like oxycontin), it just slowly works through your system. It took a couple of days before I noticed it helping at all, but once my blood was saturated with it (I'm guessing) it brought on such a relief! I don't have the roller coaster ups and downs anymore. I just take it once in the am and once in the pm and I'm covered. Of course there is some breakthrough pain when I overdo, or don't sleep well, or overstress, etc. but I'm dealing with it now.

Let me know if you've had any experience with it, or heard any scarey stories about it (side effects, long term effects, etc.) I don't want to do more harm to my body than it's worth, and my doc. says there aren't any indications of that.

Gentle Hugs to All1
    jat
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Bumping for the night owls, glad you found something that works. I recently was prescribed vicodin after all these years - so no telling how many more years before I could "graduate", LOL! I won't complain though, it is actually helping.
  3. reva727

reva727 New Member

Thanks for the info. Please don't let anyone make you feel guilty for taking narcotics. It's nobody else's business and you have to do what's best for you.

[ advertisement ]