Kaiser pain management clinic- Anyone been there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Danielle, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

A doctor at Kaiser sent a referral to the pain management clinic in Oregon. Has anyone else had experiences with them. I am on some pain meds but am afraid this may cause them to take my medicine away, or try to put me on antidepessants which have never worked for me. Do you think I should go?

Danielle
  2. Danielle

Danielle New Member

I am on a pain contract with my pcp. I went to a new doctor to maybe make a change in pcp's, since I haven't bveen real happen with my current doctor. This new doctor sent in the pain management referral. Which by the way I had requested several years ago. I am just wondering how that will affect my pain contract or would they start a new one?

Danielle
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Hi Danielle,

I am currently participating in the Kaiser pain management program. In my area (SF Bay Area) there is a team of pain speciallists who I saw & they all got together to come up with a care plan. I had to take Fibro classes & pain management classes, which I found to be very informative. For me, it is because I attended the classes that the pain team is working on my pain med issue aggressively. I think that is how they sort out the drug seekers from those with true pain.

Anyways, to answer your question, they will evaluate the meds you are on now, talk to you about how they are working and go from there. If your current medications are effective, I don't see any reason they would take them away from you, or change them. The pain docs are definitely more educated and may be able to help you. I would recommend going to the clinic if you can. This program has been the only thing ever offered for my pain that I would say has made a difference. I learned a lot from the classes, and am finally taking medication that has a chance of working for me. If you are taking a lot of short acting pain meds like vicodin, they may want to try something long acting so you can take less of it, and not have the liver damage issue with the added tylenol in most short acting meds. I just started on morphine sulfate - I take it every 8 hours & have Vicodin for breakthrough pain. I am definitely starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel as my pain is getting a little bit more tolerable with the new meds.

Anyways, sorry for the long reply, I just wanted you to know how much the program has helped me. I am not a big fan of Kaiser for any other reason & have had many bad experiences there, but this is one area they are headed in the right direction.

Good luck,
    Leanne
  4. Danielle

Danielle New Member

I actually saw a new pcp because I really didn't like my other doctor. This new doctor recommended pain management. I filled out their survey and they told me, and recommened to the doctor, that my pain meds could be increased to 6 vicodin a day and then a longer acting one if necessary. I only take 1 vicodin a day and 2 on the weekends. I 've been doing this for 5 years. My pain feels as if it is getting worse. Or maybe the medicine needs to be increased.

I just know that I went through hell before I got pain meds. I was even afraid to switch doctors for fear of getting another one that doesn't believe in it.

This new doctor is at least willing to work with me and check things out if needed. She doesn't believe or blame every symptom on fibro. Hopefully this works out.

Danielle

5. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I too had a BAD doctor for awhile. She once printed out all of my prescription history to show me that I had a drug problem. She was one of those mind over matter docs who thought I could just conquer the pain - as if I wouldn't if I could!! You are on a very small amount of pain medication, and it sounds like it's not doing a great job of controlling your pain. I too feared I would not be able to find a good doctor. Luckily the one I found is willing to prescribe whatever the pain team suggests, and I want. It really put the control back into my hands. Best of all, I am no longer afraid to say that I'm not getting the relief I need - my prior doctor made me afraid - It made me feel so small when I was accused of drug abuse, and I never wanted to feel that way again. So, I suffered in silence until I worked up the nerve to say something.

Anyways, I hope you get your pain under control soon!

Take care,
    Leanne
  6. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

who is in a Kaiser Pain Management program!
    YIPPEE! ~ have I been there? read my book...see my profile
    I am in California. The PM, has saved me. I have written a few things to give a heads up for the program to be opened for all pain sufferers.
    The way I see it..... who better to help with pain then an anethesiologist?
    that's the pain doctor !
    i wish you well and yes Danielle, go check it out.
    It's a little tough to get the hang of at first, while they find the right medications to try you on, but the
    outcome will be, you can manage your pain with a longer duration time between needing a pill.
    I was started on morphine, but that didn't work for me.
    so the Doctor, after about 4 weeks, started me on
    5mg Methadone (dolaphine). that was okay for awhile.
    now I take 10mg of Methadone 2 to 3 times in 24hours intervals, using Vicodin carefully for "breakthrough" pain.
    You will get the hang of it.
    They are very strict, because you will be taking opiates, the big controversy these days, all days really.

edit- I just read that you have taken vicodin for 5 yrs.@ one a day? thats not bad at all. I have an Aunt who is 85yrs old, and she is up to 12-14 a day! She was finally referred to PMC. at Kaiser. this is her first month, so she will probably be real frustrated for awhile. it takes time to get a regiment going, and for your "team" to figure out what will help you the best. I agree with every thing LeAnne has been explaining to you. sounds pretty much like my program. the first year was a tough one.
    Kaiser Doctor even "red flagged" me at the pharmacy even though he was giving me 150 Vicodin and sending me off.
    anyways, I was given the same treatment, called a drug abuser of vicodin and yeah, y do they make it if they won't give it.
    I don't want to get high. I want my pain at a level I can tolerate and live with. Right now, I am in a "flare" and I can't seem to get the pain to stop unless I go get ice on my neck and lie down, so hopefully we can keep in touch on this subject, cause I would like to help somehow with the Oprah/ Dr. Phil shows, and getting the fibromyalgia, and CFS, and other (silenced) diseases, out there in the forefront, and helping get some attention on the debate of pain pills, verses pain pill addiction.
    truthfully, I don't care if I am addicted. I NEED TO BE OUT OF PAIN AND I HAVE ENOUGH REASONS THAT TOOK NEARLY 20 YEARS TO PROVE JUST TO GET TO THIS POINT. We need help, we need media attention and for our chronic painful conditions to be seriously attended to without all the crap that goes with it, at the doctors verses patient verses medication, for the control of serious pain.
    It's such a shame, my body had to go through so much stress to get medicated over the years, to come to the point of nearly falling apart at this point of my life.
    I am frustrated to pieces about holding back medications that are availible for people who suffer from diseases that can't always be SEEN. X rays don't show DAILY FATIGUE
    MRI DON'T SHOW TENDER AREAS that can send a person screaming as if on fire. I am sick of it all and we need to band together and make some noise. we are not drug abusers, we are drug users. I need to use a certain drug{s} to live a "normal" life and be a productive active person, who may have limitations, but can be a quaility person who can function to some degree, using the help of some wonderful medications for pain sufferers.
    HEY, I AM ON A ROLL NOW.... LOOK OUT OPRAH.... j/k
    take care
    Anyway, I wish you the best of all health,
    send me a message sometime, let me know how it's going for you. Peace & quite, I am going to lie down with the ice pack. :) i crack myself up. sheesh.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2005]
  7. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

You gotta find another pain management clinic.
    even if you have to fly out of state.
    I have friends that drive and fly from Las Vegas Nevada,
    to go to the woodland hills,California Kaiser. okay?
    You need some help sweetie. take a trip.
    your in my thoughts.. take care.