Karen barrow- JUICING

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pumpkinpatch, Jun 26, 2008.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I was just wondering if you are still juiicing. I've been making my "Green Smoothie" every morning since January. Apparently it's loaded with amino acids and minerals and i heard good for skin rejuvenation and wrinkles!! i should be chugging it!

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2008]
  2. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Hi Miss Pumpkin!

I never saw the original post on juicing, but I was wondering what kind of juicer do you use? I want one that you don't have to cut off the outer, tough part of the fruit. I am considering the Jack Alaine (sp?) Pro Model.

Any advice?

Big Hug,

Tropical Girl
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I just use a regular blender with a good motor.
    i put in 2-3 cups water, spinach, kale, apple (peel and all), banana and handful of frozen berries. Makes alot and not lumpy.

Drink down.
  4. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Very Cool! Thanks for writing back soooo quickly. Yeah, I haven't heard good, or bad on Jack's model, but I saw how you can do pineapple with it, too.

Thanks for the input!

Big Hug!

Tropical Girl :)
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

still juicing 06/26/08 11:24 AM

Yes! I have a masticating juicer which is the best kind, but also the most expensive. The reason you don't want ones like the Jack Lalane, if you can afford better, is because these are centrifugal juicers and they use a screen to filter the juice as the crushed up pulp spins around in it. The problem is that the screens, even though the holes look insignificantly small, let too much pulp through.

It's almost like drinking porridge, which gets really gross when you're dealing with green vegetables and leafy greens. But that's not even the worst. The pulp is cellulose, mostly, and can't be digested. It is a soluble fiber and depending on the state of your gut, it can aggravate the problems when trying to deal with guy dysbiosis which virtually all of us have and is why we're so sick.

This is from one of my favorite juicing articles here:

"In our enthusiasm over the nutrient value of organic vegetables and their detoxifying capacity we mustn't forget the oxidising enzymes. Freshly prepared juices are a rich source of live enzymes. These enzymes are not only essential to the digestive process but they absorbed and recycled to the digestive tract. On their journey they are able to scavenge debris and effectively vacuum clean the blood of fungus, bacteria and undigested food particles which may have escaped digestion.

These enzymes are so important to the healing system that Max Gerson, a physician famous for his successful cancer therapy, found that patients using centrifugal-type vegetable juicers did not respond to the therapy unlike those who used a grinder and press. There are two factors to bear in mind here: centrifugal juicers tend to kill the enzymes and the juices are generally nutrient-poor, a good proportion being left in the moist pulp. The test of a "live" juice is how long it retains it's colour before it goes "brown".

If you are going to seriously juice I would recommend a more expensive juicer that masticates and presses with a slow RPM (keeping enzymes intact and generating no heat) that guarantees to juice the more fibrous green vegetables and grasses. You will find that it will more than repay itself both in the quantity of juice extracted (a third more in many cases) and in its mineral quality which can nearly double that from the more traditional juicers."

So that's why I chose the much more expensive masticating juicer, I have a green power juicer. I also have an electric Solostar II, now, which I found at a good price. The old one was hand crank which made it tough to get a fair amount of juice. I think a blender is going to present the same problems as the centrifugal juicer: degradation of enzymes and too much pulp - even more than the centrifugal one since you don't have a filter of any sort. When you have gut dysbiosis, you don't want too much fiber.

And the masticating juicers turn out just juice and not "porridge". Drinking porridge is like drinking diluted applesauce. It's just too full of pulp and is gagging when you try to do the green stuff, at least it was for me. The masticating juicers make juice that is much easier to drink because it is thin and not thick, and after I put a little bit of salt and lemon or lime juice in it, it's actually quite drinkable. I don't use any fruit at all in mine right now as I'm still on a no-grain, low carb diet to starve out the bad bacteria in the gut.

hope this helps

6. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I'm not gagging at all with my Green Smoothie drink. With the 2-3 cups water it's liquid.
    I only missed one sunday since January. Total energy booster.
  7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I think it is best to juice in whatever manner you can afford. Having said that there is a difference in quality of juice.

For energy, increasing vegetables, a blender is fine.

For the cancer fighting, enzyme rich juice - the centrifigal (jack la lane type ) is okay but too much pulp. I have this one and I strain the juice. Still too much pulp.

Someday, I would like a masticating juicer.

The key to the anti-cancer, super enzyme juice is that there should be no fiber to begin the digestive process (triggering stomach acids). The masticating juice is just juice and hasn't been pre-oxidized, no pulp, therefore the enzymes get absorbed DIRECTLY from stomach to bloodstream.

Very cancer fighting, very super rich enzymes.

So, if you are trying to get the super enzyme juice, then the masticating is the best way to go, then the centrifigal with super filtration is next best (but there is a big gap in quality).

The blender doesn't do this but it does make a greaat, healthy smoothie.

8. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I paid just over $100 for a Champion masticating juicer on eBay. If you're up to prowling yard sales or thrift shops, you could probably pick one up for less. Craigslist is another possibility.

It's been awhile since I researched machines. I don't think Champion is the best one out there, but it is a good one.
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I stopped for awhile, and I guess this is my wake up call to start up it again. It was just getting tedious buying all the veggies every 2 days.

I've read good things about Champions, and $100 is a great buy for a good juicer. Remember to put a little bit of lemon juice and sea salt in with the green juices - it really improves the taste.