Kat..about mesh used in hernia repair etc..surgeries?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sheridragonfly, May 28, 2009.

1. sheridragonfly

sheridragonfly New Member

When a person rejects a mesh used in surgery, how does it feel to them
    what are the reactions? my husband has had 2 hernia repairs in the abdomen
    and he always feels soreness and pain in those areas even years later since he had
    them..He has to have another hernia in lower groin done soon...Any advice ?
    thanks sheridragonfly
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

the symptoms are, pain( of course) a yellowish discharge(tmi i know sorry) and yes i can feel the mesh coming thru the wall of my Vagina.from what i have read the mesh looks for a way OUT of your body, and unfortunately thats where its wanting to come out at.

i will know more in July when i see my Gyn,if i were you id google "Mesh Rejection in ABdominal surgery"
    i too have lots of soreness & pain in the area of the mesh, and also since it's holding up my bladder, it's not wanting to work right, so im thinking it's doing bad things to my bladder also.

it's a shame they dont tell us that it's even a possibility and a HIgh one.it's been over a year since the surgery, and im worse off now than when i just suffered all the female, prolapse stuff.

i do know they can use more natural stuff like pig skin thats less likely to reject, why they want to use the other crap is beyond me.
    Just research all the options out there, i sure hope he dosent have to have it removed, it's not an easy surgery from what i have read :(
    Good Luck,
  3. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Hello all..

I have Mesh that was used to fix a hernia about 10 yrs ago. ( this was my third surgery in two years 6 total surgeries for me. ) . they had to use this as I had had so many surgery I just was not holding together like I should.. I have had no problems at all with this and am thankful ,I was advised because of the sever adhesions to limit the amount of weight I pick up. as I was tending to tear adhesions. very painful to say the least. will drop you to the floor like being hit by a Mac truck.

Gary I was checking your profile and there is no information there.. I was wondering , you sound like a Surgeon , with your comments. " I have personally used meshed for 20 years in abdominal reconstruction and never seen a rejection. I have removed infected mesh from other surgeons reconstructions."
    just wondering ..

I was advised at time of surgery that we did not need to worry about my body not adjusting to this being there.

I'm sorry your husband is having these problems , Please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers.. I hope your husband finds out what's going on soon.. I have had several hernia's along my incision line , the last one . I had started working out again and was doing crunches.. I thought wow .. I'm doing good I feel burning muscle so I got after it even more ,,excited to get back in shape. after I noticed a large protruding bump on my abdomen , that I could push back inside and it would pop back out . realized. I had another hernia . since then I will not do crunches.

anyway best of luck please keep us posted on your husbands condition.
    Take care my dear. Sprit
    [<I>This Message was Edited on 05/29/2009</I>]

[This Message was Edited on 05/29/2009]
  4. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Gary ..
    Thanks for responding.. that's nice to know.. as I'm sure your knowledge can be at times helpful for some of us.. its always good to have someone on board that can decipher and help us understand some things..
    Thanks again... I hope today is one of your better days... did not mean to pry .. just my curiosity ...

Take care. Spirit

5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

in ob gyn surgery might make a difference. im not the only woman that has mesh coming out, i can tell you that!!!!

and there is a problem with mesh rejection, in GYN surgery.I'm livimg proof. it's documented 0ver & over again

makes sense, as im not made of Plastic mesh. like i said, just do your Homework
  6. sheridragonfly

sheridragonfly New Member

Thank you for sharing with me about hernia repair and mesh..and

I really appreciate your taking the time to give me your opinions and or experience!