kat_in_texas ---ADULT ACNE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Trishgray, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Trishgray

Trishgray New Member

Just wanted you to know that I am also suffering from Adult acne, the huge red sore ones that leave scars...

my doctor tells me it's hormonal, so I go get a full hormone work up only to find it's all normal!!!!!!!! What else could cause these? I get them in places I never had acne as a teenager. Nothing works either. I've tried several expensive over the counter face washes, regular anti-bactieral soap, etc., with no good results. I had a hysterectomy, but still have my ovaries, so I don't even have a period to blame them on!

HUGS!

Trish
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Ah ha! I didn't even think about it being hormonal! Well, hormonal yes but not related to menopause, etc.

I am almost 49 and when I had my annual blood work/exam in May '05, my gynecologist told me that I was menopausal and would need to look into HRT (hormone replacement therapy) before long. At the time, I opted to wait as long as possible to start HRT, especially in light of all the other issues/meds due to the FM.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 but still have my ovaries, so just like you I don't have periods, and because of that I never knew I was going into menopause. I have been experiencing hot flashes, night sweats, etc. for about four months so I'm sure that's what happening.

I never even thought about the acne being related to that. Thanks for reminding me of that. I'm sure that's probably right. Like you, my zits are the huge red cyst kind of zits that hurt and take FOREVER to go away. And yes, I'm getting them in the weirdest places ... even in my nose and ears. (How gross is that?!? lol!) They hurt and look AWFUL!!!!!

Thanks again for the reminder. I'll definitely mention this to the dermatologist in the morning when I see her. I wonder if there's ANYTHING we can do about these???????

Kat

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]
  3. Trishgray

Trishgray New Member

I also for a while, had hot flashes and night sweats.. I'm 33 and had my hysterectomy (FMS related)when I was 29. I would litterally wake up with my head drenched. It's slowly went away since I was dx'd with sleep apnea. Try using regular old antibacterial dial soap on your face and neck, twice a day....NO MAKE UP...maybe that'll help clear you up! =)

HUGS!!!!!
    Trish
  4. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

No makeup???? Are you kidding me??? I'd scare my poor co-workers to death! LOL!

Just kidding. Thanks for the heads-up about the soap. The dermatologist that I'm seeing tomorrow also carries a skin care line that should be helpful, and if there's any way I can afford it I will use it.

If I find out any other tidbits that might help us both, I'll certainly let you know!

Kat
    (The scary one WITH or WITHOUT makeup!!!)
  5. Trishgray

Trishgray New Member

you sound just like me, I've been told I look like I need get off drugs before!!!!!! I have found makeup that is not oil based.. most of it now days is, except the $15 a bottle crap.. anyways, you keep me posted, I'll keep you posted! =)
    Trish